ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Contract examples #7224043
03/22/21 10:18 PM
03/22/21 10:18 PM
Alabama
T
Tsouth87 Offline OP
trapper
Tsouth87  Offline OP
trapper
T

Alabama
I’m having land owners asking me to start trapping more and more. I’m to the point where I am considering charging, but with money comes problems. The simplest way I can think to avoid conflict is to have a contract. What are some things I need to include? And better yet what do I not need to include? Thanks for any and all input

Re: Contract examples [Re: Tsouth87] #7226136
03/25/21 10:44 AM
03/25/21 10:44 AM
ontario
K
k9-hunter Offline
trapper
k9-hunter  Offline
trapper
K

ontario
property that is being asked to trap (lot#,acres to be trapped),john hancocok,time frame to be there,price if charging and maybe even target animals (this may sound funny but i lost a property i was trapping coyotes on when i told the farmer i caught a fox)

Re: Contract examples [Re: Tsouth87] #7226146
03/25/21 10:54 AM
03/25/21 10:54 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
MUST have "damaged or stolen traps are clients responsibility. Trapper will determine whether to replace or repair."

Its just a matter of time until an AR neighbor or trespasser stuffs sticks in your traps. THAT is when you take pix of boot/tire tracks or even follow their trail back to their home, then notify client and see if they want to handle it. If not, then take evidence to GW.
Once I explain to client that this activity has wasted my time and his money (daily check fee) AND possibly made target species smarter/harder to catch, they normally handle it, but not always.

AND, to avoid liability hiccups/questions, invest in ADC Insurance thru Bob and Sons like many of us.

Having "Licensed & Insured" on your biz cards opens doors.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Contract examples [Re: Tsouth87] #7228387
03/27/21 06:27 PM
03/27/21 06:27 PM
Alabama
T
Tsouth87 Offline OP
trapper
Tsouth87  Offline OP
trapper
T

Alabama
Thank you all. I appreciate it

Re: Contract examples [Re: Tsouth87] #7228464
03/27/21 07:34 PM
03/27/21 07:34 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Presenting yourself in a professional manner and setting the stage with the prospective client for your trapping requirements and guidelines is far more valuable then a written contract many times.

If you go in sounding unsure of yourself to the client this could be a failure from the start. This will prove out as you do more of this type of work for hire. Once the job is sold lay out your terms verbally in a firm and confident tone.

Re: Contract examples [Re: Tsouth87] #7228781
03/28/21 03:43 AM
03/28/21 03:43 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Bob shares his wisdom. Many gold nuggets of advice.

Here are a few tips.

Confidence is important, but don’t be cocky. Confidence in this business does not mean knowing everything about every situation. Even with decades of experience an animal can do the unexpected and make us puzzled. Never set up the situation that this is the same old boring easy job.

Honesty in everything. The Golden Rule applies in every situation. Customers have no idea about hiring a trapper. It is different and unusual in their life experience. On some jobs if extra time is necessary (not often) but it may be because I missed something. When that happens I do not charge for the extra work. Be crystal clear about the terms. For example recently a nice older lady new customer asked me that if I do not catch ALL of the animals in the number of days, that I will continue trapping indefinitely, right? No, extra work costs extra. She was fine with my answer because she was overwhelmed by the situation. She felt guilty for calling me. That is why you put terms in writing. Then again don’t nickel and dime customers for everything possible. Occasionally I tell customers that for a specific reason I believe a couple extra days is necessary and there will be no extra charge. Be reasonable, but remain in control of your business. People trust and refer me to others. They happily refer to me as “their trapper” and you bet I am.

Always be respectful of the animals. I am not a hit man, an assassin, or a hired killer. I manage animal populations that are in conflict with people. Timid, squeamish, and reluctant people have hired me saying that they learned about my reputation for being respectful about and to the animals.

Be prepared for many questions from potential new customers.

Best wishes.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Contract examples [Re: Tsouth87] #7228846
03/28/21 07:44 AM
03/28/21 07:44 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Getting off base a bit but have a dispatch plan that is not in front of customers.
Or if relocating is legal that may not be needed.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread