No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: adam m] #7251117
04/24/21 06:48 PM
04/24/21 06:48 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by adam m
I agree with wissmiss too. I learned a few things with NM's trappers ed course which is a nationally recognized course.

Warning!!!!!
Montana be very very very careful. NM implemented a mandatory trappers ed course and a few changes to rules and that wasn't enough to satisfy the anti's and we just lost trapping in NM. This past year was the first season of implementation of said compromised changes.

New Mexico's back was against the wall for years. Imo they should have been on this years ago. Would have implementing the mandatory trapper ed course helped? Don't know. But the education of trappers certainly couldn't have hurt. Education is basically the key to almost everything.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251119
04/24/21 06:52 PM
04/24/21 06:52 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Slickpan you have trapped longer than 3 years? If so grandfather clause?
I do not like the fact of a mandatory trapper -ed coarse if run by trappers great,,, if run by solely by FWP not a fan.
I do agree ethics are taught at a young age BUT since we are in the age we are in. I say now we people are forced to do the parents job usually sub -par we have hunter ed, bow hunters ed, and a wolf class which I surely hope the mandatory trappers ed is more compete.
But it may just be going over the laws and regulation( I HAVE NO IDEA) HOW is it's going to go .
But it does put it on a individual once class is taken instead of a community of trappers.
And if fish & game teach it then they must honor what they taught.
Either way sign of the times

Kenneth schoening
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251138
04/24/21 07:29 PM
04/24/21 07:29 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline OP
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
A mandated trapper education course is a way to take away another freedom and be controlled by yet another government law. Supported by the Montana Trappers association. This law is a concession to the antis. If the trappers association thinks that this will be good for trappers and slow down the antis they have another thing coming. Because all it will do is energize them more. All you have to do is look who sponsored the bill and that the antis supported it.

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251145
04/24/21 07:43 PM
04/24/21 07:43 PM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
Governor Gianforte of Montana also supported and signed a bill to allow for the snaring of wolves, a bill to extend the kill season, a bill to allow for compensation to wolf hunters and trappers, and a bill that prevents Montana law enforcement from enforcing further federal firearms restrictions, should they pass them.

You think we would have seen that support for our hunting and trapping from Bullock or Cooney? You’re going to complain about this guy? Good grief!

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251147
04/24/21 07:44 PM
04/24/21 07:44 PM
Ohio
Keith Daniels Offline
trapper
Keith Daniels  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Some times it's hard to not shake your head and wonder what people are thinking, and why. Any one who does not understand the benefit of a trappers education course, leaning heavy on ethics and responsibility really does need to get their head out of the sand, and that's about as nice as I can word it.

Ohio has had mandatory trapper ed since 1979, it has evolved through several versions to where it is an excellent program, but it has been a battle at times, not with the anti's, it is a huge deterrent to them, but with keeping the program viable and effective in todays changing times.

Plain and simple, responsibility and accountability to the public is getting ever more important to ensure the future of fur trapping. The KMA attitude is a bigger threat to trapping than the anit's are.

Keith Daniels
Retired OSTA President as of 4:50 P M 9/12/20
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251148
04/24/21 07:45 PM
04/24/21 07:45 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Ks put together a trapper ed course about forty years ago. The state assn fully backed it and many of us taught classes for a number of years. Then our F&G, now Wildlife and Parks, chose to water it down to an on line course that give no hands on teaching. We can still have classes to certify, but very few will come to a eight hour class, when they can do an on line class that takes a couple hours. Just kinda dissapointing!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251150
04/24/21 07:49 PM
04/24/21 07:49 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
How is educating new trappers ammo for the antis?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
So you think Mr. Dobbins was wrong when he wrote this?

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: adam m] #7251156
04/24/21 07:54 PM
04/24/21 07:54 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
I agree with wissmiss too. I learned a few things with NM's trappers ed course which is a nationally recognized course.

Warning!!!!!
Montana be very very very careful. NM implemented a mandatory trappers ed course and a few changes to rules and that wasn't enough to satisfy the anti's and we just lost trapping in NM. This past year was the first season of implementation of said compromised changes.

Adam, you lost trapping in NM because the dang demonrats took over the state, just like they have done in DC. They didn't even give you guys a chance to implement the program. Your only choice now is the pending lawsuit, and who knows which way that will go! Only wish you the best of luck, I hope you bleed out that ol bag!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251163
04/24/21 08:05 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
To say the least it's a good thing for this great state of Montana,
If you have seen how how some trapper's do it you would agree.
If they just learn how to anchor there traps better it will be win.
I don't sneak around checking on other trapper's but have
seen my fair share of bad anchor job's.

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251164
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
One more time. The anti's want States to have MANDATORY trapper ed. They think it is good. Not because they like trapping.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251171
04/24/21 08:20 PM
04/24/21 08:20 PM
Lakeland,Minnesota
B
Bogmaster Offline
trapper
Bogmaster  Offline
trapper
B

Lakeland,Minnesota
Minnesota and Wisconsin,instituted trappers ed.--not to appease anti-trappers,but to have better and responsible trappers in the field. Irresponsible trappers represent as much of a threat to trapping as do--anti-trappers.
Tom

If my feet aren't wet,I must not be trapping.
Tom Olson
MTA life member#100,also WTA life member
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: rpmartin] #7251207
04/24/21 09:09 PM
04/24/21 09:09 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by rpmartin

Warning!!!!!

New Mexico's back was against the wall for years. Imo they should have been on this years ago. Would have implementing the mandatory trapper ed course helped? Don't know. But the education of trappers certainly couldn't have hurt. Education is basically the key to almost everything.

We've had trapper ed in MN for 30 years and yet we still get attacked every year and we'll lost a bunch if the Democrats take the senate.

Gary, thanks to Wisconsin we have trapper ed, will probably lose our snares as we know it, most likely 220s, probably have to limit the size of our colonies and not be able to set them in culverts, probably lose the ability to chop huts and can't trap the ROW.

Dirt has it figured out.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251210
04/24/21 09:11 PM
04/24/21 09:11 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Even though it was over 40 years ago I remember being taught (in our mandatory trapping course) that by trapping responsibly it keeps people from looking at trapping in a bad light. Safety especially around large conibers was taught. These courses were taught by master trappers, not somebody from the State department

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251212
04/24/21 09:13 PM
04/24/21 09:13 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.

We've had trapper ed in MN for 30 years and yet we still get attacked every year and we'll lost a bunch if the Democrats take the senate.

Gary, thanks to Wisconsin we have trapper ed, will probably lose our snares as we know it, most likely 220s, probably have to limit the size of our colonies and not be able to set them in culverts, probably lose the ability to chop huts and can't trap the ROW.

Dirt has it figured out.

[/quote]

Look at the bright side-Nobody will want to trap there from out of state.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Gene Dziza] #7251217
04/24/21 09:18 PM
04/24/21 09:18 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted by Gene Dziza
Governor Gianforte of Montana also supported and signed a bill to allow for the snaring of wolves, a bill to extend the kill season, a bill to allow for compensation to wolf hunters and trappers, and a bill that prevents Montana law enforcement from enforcing further federal firearms restrictions, should they pass them.

You think we would have seen that support for our hunting and trapping from Bullock or Cooney? You’re going to complain about this guy? Good grief!

You hit the nail on the head, but some people like the OP of this post you can never make happy. I see nothing wrong with trappers ed classes teaching ethics. Even if it was sponsored by a DemoRat, no one is telling you how to think. Take the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) class and keep setting steel. Keep your powder dry too because if you aren't in Montana, they are coming for our guns. Idaho is working on a similar second amendment sanctuary bill. Maybe I should start chastising Gov. Brad Little who has vowed to preserve all that is Idaho including trapping and guns. Oh and for what it's worth Idaho has a mandatory trappers education class and personally I found it to be useful.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251238
04/24/21 09:48 PM
04/24/21 09:48 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Not that hard to figure it out. You don't have to ban stuff, you can regulate it to death. That is what they attempt to do here. Luckily, we recognize the strategery.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Sharon] #7251240
04/24/21 09:53 PM
04/24/21 09:53 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by Sharon
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Sadly, Montana is the next Colorado.

WRONG. Next to FLA's governor , ours is among the best , working his tail off in behalf of us, joining in an alliance of states who are like minded.

Wissmiss, that is correct. I took the wolf class in Idaho and it was great, taught by our own, Jack here, who made it amazing with his experiences and stories, plus the wealth of immense information he has.

That's good to hear. Thank you.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Bogmaster] #7251254
04/24/21 10:12 PM
04/24/21 10:12 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Minnesota and Wisconsin,instituted trappers ed.--not to appease anti-trappers,but to have better and responsible trappers in the field. Irresponsible trappers represent as much of a threat to trapping as do--anti-trappers.
Tom

Agree. Idaho has a mandatory course and many that attend the course have said good things about it. If some of you think that a mandatory class takes our freedom away, then we should drop all mandatory hunter education courses.

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Slick Pan] #7251264
04/24/21 10:25 PM
04/24/21 10:25 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline OP
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
Trapping ethics: Do I think that being an ethical trapper is a good thing. Yes
Do I think mandating a trapper ed class such as the one I took on wolf trapping(the one the governor did not know about but he has been supposedly trapping all his life) of the three hours of class time required, 2 hours and 15 minutes were spent on ethics a good thing. NO
Do I think that we need more laws and regulations restricting our freedoms. No

Re: Montana Requires Trapper Education Course [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7251271
04/24/21 10:51 PM
04/24/21 10:51 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Originally Posted by Bogmaster
Tom

Agree. Idaho has a mandatory course and many that attend the course have said good things about it. If some of you think that a mandatory class takes our freedom away, then we should drop all mandatory hunter education courses.

Well, hunter participation rates have been dropping for decades. It's spiked some since the covid hit,we will see how it lasts.

I accept trapper ed because every other group has education, we have required snowmobile ed, hunter ed, atv ed.

I don't kid myself that trapper ed will appease the anti crowd and be the savior of trapping.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread