No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Toyota question [Re: wamp] #7252126
04/26/21 10:09 AM
04/26/21 10:09 AM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
At one time I had over 15 of these trucks about half running the rest were parts or projects. The main problems I've seen are ppl adding aftermarket "upgrades" these trucks when left factory ran and ran. I still have several as daily drivers. I'm lucky as I've never had tps issues I guess. Also ppl tend to bypass things like relays and this has also caused issues. I've had oxygen sensor wires partially broken that caused problems. Coil /igniter go out but that just usually stops you. The last I intermittent problem was wires from coil/igniter were coming out of the plug. We had one that had fuel pump pressure issue. Love these trucks. I have 3 Tacoma, 98,00,01 all with 2.7 great trucks but like the older ones better.

Re: Toyota question [Re: wamp] #7252132
04/26/21 10:23 AM
04/26/21 10:23 AM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by wamp
Hate to ask mechanic question have a 1994 4cyl. That is running like bucking horse.
New fuel filter,spark plugs and wires,air filter, and completely dist.
Garage has run scan on it shows nothing.
Doesn't matter cold, warm or hot engine, doesn't do it all the time.

Give it an Italian tune up.

No Jab.
Re: Toyota question [Re: Sprung & Rusty] #7252153
04/26/21 11:11 AM
04/26/21 11:11 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Originally Posted by Sprung & Rusty
Hate to ask mechanic question have a 1994 4cyl. That is running like bucking horse.
New fuel filter,spark plugs and wires,air filter, and completely dist.
Garage has run scan on it shows nothing.
Doesn't matter cold, warm or hot engine, doesn't do it all the time.

Give it an Italian tune up.

Is that like a Mexican tuneup? Shove the clutch in and stomp and the gas to burn all the carbon out?

Re: Toyota question [Re: eedup] #7252162
04/26/21 11:28 AM
04/26/21 11:28 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Originally Posted by eedup
At one time I had over 15 of these trucks about half running the rest were parts or projects. The main problems I've seen are ppl adding aftermarket "upgrades" these trucks when left factory ran and ran. I still have several as daily drivers. I'm lucky as I've never had tps issues I guess. Also ppl tend to bypass things like relays and this has also caused issues. I've had oxygen sensor wires partially broken that caused problems. Coil /igniter go out but that just usually stops you. The last I intermittent problem was wires from coil/igniter were coming out of the plug. We had one that had fuel pump pressure issue. Love these trucks. I have 3 Tacoma, 98,00,01 all with 2.7 great trucks but like the older ones better.

I've never had tps issues on a 22RE either, but have on other vehicles with similar symptoms. I had a fuel pump going bad once on one of these that gave an intermittent problem, but it would actually die and if you were going at highway speeds it would generally restart, otherwise you would coast to a stop and it would be hard to restart. But then when I got it home or pulled off somewhere to look at it, it would run like a dream. That took a while to find. I saw a coil do intermittent issues once, but when I said check coil I meant wires to it also, generally intermittent coil issues are the wires. I had my 89 get the wire to the fuel pump corroded in two this winter from the deicer crap they spray on the roads. Those trucks will run fine with the wires disconnected from the O2 sensor in the exhaust, just have a check engine light. If the wires short out on each other or dragging on the ground though they won't! But usually they will blow the EFI fuse leaving you completely dead in the water. I agree, generally most problems are aftermarket "upgrades" or peoples subpar haywire fixes.

I've had an 18R, a 22R, and four 22RE as well as a 2.7. Have to say though that the most reliable motor I've had in a Toyota (and they were all reliable compared to other brands) was a 3.4, 395,000 miles and the closest I ever came to having to do anything to the motor was I had an injector go bad and had to replace it. Only time it ever left me was when I broke a ball joint at about 350,000. Change the oil regular and it just ran forever. Still don't have to add oil between oil changes, it uses a little but it'll just be down to the add mark at 3,000 miles.

Re: Toyota question [Re: wamp] #7253833
04/28/21 03:52 PM
04/28/21 03:52 PM
indiana
W
wamp Offline OP
trapper
wamp  Offline OP
trapper
W

indiana
This is not a pick up it a Corolla.
Had an issue with fuel tank had a small hole rusted through, replaced fuel tank with new tank also had tuneup done at same time.
Problems started about the same times as gas tank issue.
Finally the mechanics got the car to buck or miss our with them but still can not pin point the trouble scans not showing anything.
They are about ready to replace the fuel pump even though they are sure that's not the problem.
This is their last chance to fix if not going to dealership with it hope they are well enough versed on the problems of Toyota.

Granddaughter drives it to college only 50 miles away but such a pain having to bring it back.

"Keep your traps free"
Re: Toyota question [Re: wamp] #7253843
04/28/21 03:58 PM
04/28/21 03:58 PM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
Check the Ignition Module on it. Sometimes it will make them run Wonky and you get fuel and spark and cant figure it out.

Last edited by Northmocats; 04/28/21 03:58 PM.
Re: Toyota question [Re: wamp] #7253844
04/28/21 03:59 PM
04/28/21 03:59 PM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
Don't do the cars any, prob broke or cracked wires to fuel pump so now making intermittent connections

Re: Toyota question [Re: wamp] #7253862
04/28/21 04:24 PM
04/28/21 04:24 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
probably the most mechs here http://www.corollaforum.com/

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Toyota question [Re: wamp] #7253883
04/28/21 04:56 PM
04/28/21 04:56 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
This is not a pick up it a Corolla.
Had an issue with fuel tank had a small hole rusted through, replaced fuel tank with new tank also had tuneup done at same time.
Problems started about the same times as gas tank issue.

I would be looking closely at fuel system contamination. When you get a pin hole , there is rust. There is a good chance some rust or other contamination like water has entered the fuel system and may now be upstream of the new gas tank , could even be in the fuel pump or even as far as a fuel injector.

You would be surprised how tiny a particle it would take to cause driveablity issues. A tiny particle can cause a intermittent problem every easily. Disconnecting the fuel line just before the injector manifold and running the fuel pump only while flushing out the the line will clear a lot of potential issues other than a clogged injector.

Do not do this unless trained and knowledgeable. Serious fire hazard if not done correctly and safely.

I would have the garage you have the car at to look closely at this before just replacing a fuel pump and hoping for the best. Fuel pump can still be an issue but getting a better diagnosis is better than just throwing parts at the problem.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Toyota question [Re: wamp] #7254185
04/28/21 10:46 PM
04/28/21 10:46 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Might be a worn-out timing belt issue. Have you ever replaced it?

Re: Toyota question [Re: wamp] #7257024
05/03/21 08:21 PM
05/03/21 08:21 PM
indiana
W
wamp Offline OP
trapper
wamp  Offline OP
trapper
W

indiana
22000 on timing belt.
Drove it this weekend started cutting out again felt like a fuel problem. I removed gas cap tank had a vacuum on cap, even after removing cap and driving started cutting out again.

"Keep your traps free"
Re: Toyota question [Re: wamp] #7257304
05/04/21 09:14 AM
05/04/21 09:14 AM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
I had the lower timing gear key half way twisted once. It seemed like a gas issue. I went to install a timing belt and could not align the camshaft exactly. Pulled the lower gear off the crankshaft and found the key half sheared. $10 and a lot of time. It was a 94 RAV. Same engine as Corolla. Fuel injectors at that mileage need rebuilt or replaced.

Last edited by Coyote Clayton; 05/04/21 09:14 AM.

Compulsive Coyote Washer
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread