No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: white17] #7253770
04/28/21 02:33 PM
04/28/21 02:33 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by Malukchuk
Seattle used to have a fur exchange what ever happened to that company?

Bought by the mink growers and most of us quit shipping to them immediately thereafter. A "regrading " of goods already graded didn't sit well with most of us.

Don't know whether they are still in business.

I did business with Ted Pappas at Western Canadian after that until he passed away.

Bankrupt. NAFA bought them. Bankrupt.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: Malukchuk] #7253781
04/28/21 02:49 PM
04/28/21 02:49 PM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
Originally Posted by Malukchuk
Seattle used to have a fur exchange what ever happened to that company?

If memory serves there was a court conflict over the American legend label with HB of which they won. Shortly after they went out of business. Even in the ranch community people would waffle around on different houses. “You’re only as good as your last sale”

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7253813
04/28/21 03:30 PM
04/28/21 03:30 PM
KY
I
ILcooner Offline
trapper
ILcooner  Offline
trapper
I

KY
there is little demand for fur which is the root of the problem

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254111
04/28/21 09:17 PM
04/28/21 09:17 PM
wyoming
W
WyFurHarvesters Offline
trapper
WyFurHarvesters  Offline
trapper
W

wyoming
Bingo yep the problem is fur is not selling! In the late 70s and early 80s every small town had a buyer maybe two several big auctions to choose from every one from the trappers, supply dealers, local buyers and auction houses were making money. Now we just trap for fun and let the antis run the show. I remember when the NTA annuals were packed and now we cant get folks to join and begrudge the only auction house left.

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254179
04/28/21 10:42 PM
04/28/21 10:42 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
If there was any money in fur, Elon Musk would have already done it.

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254216
04/28/21 11:15 PM
04/28/21 11:15 PM
Punxsutawney, Pa.
M
MinkGuy Offline
trapper
MinkGuy  Offline
trapper
M

Punxsutawney, Pa.
Hmmm, what skills would the organization need? Marketing, Event Planning, Finance, International business, Exchange rates understanding, Employee Management, Location Analysis, Logistics of getting fur from trapper to fashion, Lodging for buyers, sellers, members and employees-, Hospitality Management, Restaurant Cooperation, Transportation to and from hotels, Inventory Management, Facility storage, Fur Identification concerning ownership, Grading, Auction Facilities, Auctioneers, Callers, Spotters, Shipping, Trucking, Cold Storage, Arbitrage, Customer Relations and so much more from International shipping to theft control, Disease Prevention and Pandemic related concerns.
Imagine if a red fox is misplaced, a tag comes off, a buyer gets sick, spoilage occurs because of delays or cooling malfunction. These are some things one should think about in my opinion. I think I'll keep supporting others trying to pull existing auctions off.

Last edited by MinkGuy; 04/28/21 11:18 PM.

DonP
Minktrapping.com
Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254228
04/28/21 11:31 PM
04/28/21 11:31 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline OP
trapper
wissmiss  Offline OP
trapper
W

north Idaho
MinkGuy - that is a very impressive list. You’ve got just about everything covered. Probably should add interpreters for those buyers that don’t speak English.

Russian, Italian, French, Korean, Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish, Greek, German, plus others.....

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254250
04/29/21 12:08 AM
04/29/21 12:08 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Has anyone offered WHERE these supposed furs are supposed to go? Isn't the reason that all these furs are so stockpiled, is because there isn't anyone buying them? Forgive me, if I'm mistaken.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254257
04/29/21 12:17 AM
04/29/21 12:17 AM
Punxsutawney, Pa.
M
MinkGuy Offline
trapper
MinkGuy  Offline
trapper
M

Punxsutawney, Pa.
I knew I was forgetting something- translators! Sorry- I think there are a couple more things -can anyone else help add to the list? Photography, social media,digital media, video production and more still. In all honesty I had a chance to visit NAFA and in their defense and Furharvesters - I don't know how anyone could pull that off- Hundres of thousands of furs of all species, sizes, grades- ranch and wild- marked and identified, graded and sorted moved from all over the world there and sold to buyers all over the world. Imagine the fortunes made and the fortunes lost. When I read the title of the post I thought - good idea and then I realized that if experts couldn't make it - what would make me think I could - without risking everything I've ever worked for. I forgot about private treaties, the governments of 100 nations, not only the United States rules and regulations for importing and exporting- and still more.Tarrifs, Ports of entry and Security!
Good luck to anyone but it is above my payscale and ability.
I can hear it now- I know I caught 23 muskrats and my receipt says you only got 22! Where is my $3.25 cents?
debt collection, credit ratings, Floating money and loans being recalled.
God forbid you don't have a mechanic for the tumblers or an HVAC crew for the coolers. What if the sanitation workers go on strike?
Oh Geez I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I think I'm going to buy another dozen traps and enjoy my fall! Oops I forgot Customs Agent knowledge and customs of the foreign buyers- do they like tea or coffee, shake never or with the left or right hand, bow or look you in the eye? Oh and you better show them a good time at night too - whatever that means I don't know what they'd expect.
I also forgot branding, brochure production, bidder registration, credit checking, delinquent or bad accounts, buyers that file bankruptcy and still I'm forgetting about negotiating with utilities for energy cost savings, site management from snow plowing to shoveling the walks- God forbid the airports are closed because of a blizzard or the borders for a pandemic. Nope I'm still thinking we should support the guys who already have their necks stretched out and their fortunes on the chopping block. Just a thought. Instead let's start promoting fur- give some if we have to to trendsetters, models and your wife or yourself! Let's go on the offensive against the antis.

Last edited by MinkGuy; 04/29/21 01:48 AM. Reason: added info

DonP
Minktrapping.com
Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254266
04/29/21 12:31 AM
04/29/21 12:31 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I have people that do export.
I have a wearhouse on a port
I know people
I will hold your fur untill it sells and delay your payment for 30+++ day for me.to collect interest on my account

Heck yes!!!!! Iam in,....

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254268
04/29/21 12:34 AM
04/29/21 12:34 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
How much better to start it with my China check?

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254358
04/29/21 07:36 AM
Albany, NY
B
bobsheedy Offline
trapper
bobsheedy  Offline
trapper
B

Albany, NY

MinkGuy ---Pretty impressive list. Pretty good summary.

Vinke----I'm trusting my 'possum collection to you.

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254359
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
I think it could be done, where there is a will there is a way. This new auction house would have to be efficiently to be effectively competitive. Basically just do one thing but do it very well. Nafa went down because of poor management decisions and who knows what all.

I would venture to guess there are buyers that are not pleased with fha and would welcome another alternative. How many who knows.

How happy are buyers and end users with groeny?

There are some good suggestions on this thread already.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254363
04/29/21 07:42 AM
04/29/21 07:42 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Don, that was an impressive summary sir! A commodities business would be a risk venture that would best be started during bull years (now) but the asset in it (fur) is at historic lows in a "bull" rampage.
So, ain't no way venture capitalists would touch it outta fear of what might happen when the bears come to town.

Ain't gonna happen. The demand for fur as a commodity just hasn't kept pace with the 15 year bull run we're in and as a result tents are folding.
Not enough demand = money dudes ain't gonna fund it.

Pure biz 101 tenets.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254429
04/29/21 09:30 AM
04/29/21 09:30 AM
Iowa
J
Joe1 Offline
trapper
Joe1  Offline
trapper
J

Iowa
i want the guy that goes to the auction to buy fur to set up shop in us and buy dirrect from the trappers we need the guy that grooney sells to set up shop we dont need another middle man we need direct buyers that want fur if i sell something if i can sell it direct i dont have to mess with a middle man and all their fees and bs same with the buyer

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254436
04/29/21 09:37 AM
04/29/21 09:37 AM
TN
L
lcd Offline
trapper
lcd  Offline
trapper
L

TN
Originally Posted by wissmiss
Serious question.

NAFA is out of business. Many folks are unhappy with Fur Harvesters. Lots of empty buildings from businesses going under. Lots of trappers with fur they want to sell. Seems like the perfect time.

Many states have small sales already. Get them all together and have one big sale. Should be a piece of cake to make it happen.

So who’s going to get the ball rolling?

The tree huggers and anti's that run most of the state and federal politician's would make it so expensive that it couldn't be done. Great idea, and I would for sure put my fur into it. We can always dream of simple solutions even if it can't happen.

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: rpmartin] #7254486
04/29/21 11:35 AM
04/29/21 11:35 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by rpmartin
I think it could be done, where there is a will there is a way. This new auction house would have to be efficiently to be effectively competitive. Basically just do one thing but do it very well. Nafa went down because of poor management decisions and who knows what all.

I would venture to guess there are buyers that are not pleased with fha and would welcome another alternative. How many who knows.

How happy are buyers and end users with groeny?

There are some good suggestions on this thread already.

Is that how you were able to get to where you are now? When times got tough you just threw your arms in the air said ok i give up I'm finished. Not saying it's going to happen or would be easy, but they're are people every single day in this great country that decide to go out on a limb and do exactly what mingguy said would have to be done to get the ball rolling.

It most definitely would take a special person or group of people but imo it could be done successfully.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: Joe1] #7254518
04/29/21 12:17 PM
04/29/21 12:17 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline OP
trapper
wissmiss  Offline OP
trapper
W

north Idaho
Originally Posted by Joe1
i want the guy that goes to the auction to buy fur to set up shop in us and buy dirrect from the trappers we need the guy that grooney sells to set up shop we dont need another middle man we need direct buyers that want fur if i sell something if i can sell it direct i dont have to mess with a middle man and all their fees and bs same with the buyer

The guy that Groenwald sells to isn’t going to want to deal with individual trappers. No way. No how. Ain’t gonna happen. Even in the 1800s there was always a middleman.

Imagine a buyer that buys thousands and thousands of pelts and spends million of dollars every year setting up shop so that he can buy your 75 coon. Take that times several thousand other individual trappers.

Applying your idea to other commodities. Say you want a gallon of milk. You find a cow and milk her yourself. Or you want an apple - you plant a tree and wait for it to produce fruit.

One of the strangest suggestions I’ve ever heard. Sorry.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: lcd] #7254528
04/29/21 12:26 PM
04/29/21 12:26 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by lcd
Serious question.

NAFA is out of business. Many folks are unhappy with Fur Harvesters. Lots of empty buildings from businesses going under. Lots of trappers with fur they want to sell. Seems like the perfect time.

Many states have small sales already. Get them all together and have one big sale. Should be a piece of cake to make it happen.

So who’s going to get the ball rolling?

The tree huggers and anti's that run most of the state and federal politician's would make it so expensive that it couldn't be done. Great idea, and I would for sure put my fur into it. We can always dream of simple solutions even if it can't happen.

That's very true, look at the paperwork and costs involved just to get common species like coons and rats shipped between Canada and the U.S., going either way! Otter or wolves and cats just about require an attorney familiar with International Importation Law. All this seems to be to make things more difficult and provide more government jobs/welfare.

Re: Why not start a US fur auction house? [Re: wissmiss] #7254530
04/29/21 12:29 PM
04/29/21 12:29 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by Joe1

The guy that Groenwald sells to isn’t going to want to deal with individual trappers. No way. No how. Ain’t gonna happen. Even in the 1800s there was always a middleman.

Imagine a buyer that buys thousands and thousands of pelts and spends million of dollars every year setting up shop so that he can buy your 75 coon. Take that times several thousand other individual trappers.

Applying your idea to other commodities. Say you want a gallon of milk. You find a cow and milk her yourself. Or you want an apple - you plant a tree and wait for it to produce fruit.

One of the strangest suggestions I’ve ever heard. Sorry.

Nothing is impossible for the man who does not have to do it himself.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread