No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7266800
05/18/21 09:58 AM
05/18/21 09:58 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I have a friend that is really interested in civil war history.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7266811
05/18/21 10:13 AM
05/18/21 10:13 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
A couple things to consider.

You aren't going to get much re-enactment gear that is authentic or close to it there. Those uniforms and accouterments can be expensive. You may be able to find fairly accurate patches and stuff.

As for what to do there. You've gotten a bunch of good advice. Devil's Den, LRT BRT are great. Peach orchard and the wheatfield, while lesser known are pretty neat. The angle and the high water mark are very historically significant. If you have a chance walk Picketts charge. While doing so imagine it being July with the sun beating down on you in all that wool. Then once you've reached the other side check yourself for ticks. Go to the PA monument. It has the names of every PA resident that fought there in a PA regiment.

The national cemetery is very solemn and is also the site where Lincoln gave the Gettysburg address.

Visit the first day battle field, Culps Hill, and seminary ridge. The Jenny Wade house, Sacchs Covered Bridge, and a few other places are great tours.
Every battlefield guide has their own specialty. Some focus on the round tops and devils den. Others on Picketts charge. The all know about the whole battle, but tend to focus a little more on their stronger suits.

You could really spend a week or more there and not see everything it has to offer.

As with most touristy places everything costs money. The military museum, and the cyclorama while in the same building all have their own fees. Jenny Wade house has a fee.
My advice is take a bus tour, then go back and hit some of the places on your own.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7266866
05/18/21 11:21 AM
05/18/21 11:21 AM
Carlisle, PA
T
trap-alaska Offline
trapper
trap-alaska  Offline
trapper
T

Carlisle, PA
If you have more time to kill, the Army Heritage and Education Center (AHEC) is 30 minutes north in Carlisle. Not a big deal but interesting if you need to fill a couple hours. https://ahec.armywarcollege.edu/

Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7267193
05/18/21 08:01 PM
05/18/21 08:01 PM
Michigan
P
PFC Davis Offline OP
trapper
PFC Davis  Offline OP
trapper
P

Michigan
Thanks, most of the places that where listed in the Gettysburg battlefield I just went to. But wow, there was so much area that was being fought over that I am tuckered out just by only walking some and driving the rest. It is just so much to take in. But I still can't get over on how much bad attacking terrain the confederates had to fight over with coming very close to actually succeeding.
And I still have one more full day here.

A good life tip:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Matthew 7:3
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7267202
05/18/21 08:08 PM
05/18/21 08:08 PM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline
trapper
Green Bay  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Culp's hill is an often overlooked part of the battlefield. Sounds like you had a good.

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: Green Bay] #7267424
05/18/21 11:34 PM
05/18/21 11:34 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by Green Bay
Culp's hill is an often overlooked part of the battlefield. Sounds like you had a good.

John Wesley Culp was a confederate soldier who was killed in the fields near or actually on Culp’s hill. He was born in Gettysburg and move to Virginia in 1858. Culp joined the confederates when the Civil War started. Legend has it but not proven that John Wesley played on Culp’s hill owned by one of his relatives when he was a child. His brother William joined the 87 Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment during the war. I don’t think William was involved with the Gettysburg battle. However, truly a war where brother fought against brother.

Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7267510
05/19/21 06:42 AM
05/19/21 06:42 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
I was there a couple years ago, alot bigger than expected. Next time I go, I want to take an aerial map to eliminate alot of deciphering on exactly where I'm at, lol.

Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7267526
05/19/21 07:12 AM
05/19/21 07:12 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

It has been many years since I went and I recall it was raining cats and dogs. I was in high school (1973'ish) and my folks and siblings stayed in the car because it was raining but dad drove to a spot I don't exactly remember.... I got out..... pouring rain..... and I walked up a hill and........

the crosses. My goodness all the crosses.
My goodness all those crosses.
It was an emotional moment I still remember well.
What that battle must have "really" been like.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7267564
05/19/21 08:25 AM
05/19/21 08:25 AM
Carlisle, PA
T
trap-alaska Offline
trapper
trap-alaska  Offline
trapper
T

Carlisle, PA
If anyone else is planning a trip and wants to read about the battle beforehand, Killer Angels is a good book that keeps the information fairly basic so you can follow along.

Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7267620
05/19/21 09:14 AM
05/19/21 09:14 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
I was there and Antietam in the summer of 2001. A couple larger scale observations from the two NB parks.

Driving into Gettysburg NB it's obvious that that the two Round Tops hold great tactical advantage to the landscape but it wasn't until late on the 2nd day when both sides figured that out. Yeah, I've read about Gettysburg for almost 50 years so maybe that influences my view compared to men playing things out in real time, but almost all the leading officers involved had gone to military academies yet couldn't have seen that by no later than early on day 2...?

As for Antietam, what blew me away there was the small size of the main field of battle-- we didn't go down to the lower part of the battlefield. The main part is only about a mile square. And yet, both McClellan and Lee chose that location to fight after their maneuvers of the day before. Not a landscape where I'd have nearly 200,000 men fighting.

As for Marty's comment on that Lee shouldn't have kept fighting after Day 1 at Gettysburg, I generally agree but Meade had interior lines and a number of places south in Maryland to fall back on and block the Confederates retreat. Same thing if the Confederates would have taken Cemetery Ridge the end of the 1st day. Meade could have broken off and somewhere in MD blocked Lee's retreat. The whole Gettysburg campaign was a desperate strategic and tactical gamble. Most people who know about the Civil War battles seem to dismiss how close the Army of Northern Virginia came to getting totally whacked with their situation at Antietam at the close of the battle. They were still on the north side of the river in a small area and every corps had been engaged, two of them beat up pretty bad. McClellan still had at least 1 (or was it two) corps that had not been engaged. Grant would have engaged Lee on the morning of a second day and it is unknown if Lee's force could have survived. That wouldn't have meant that the war was over, only that the major Confederate army would have been defeated. Leadership and timing are extremely important to such things...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7267631
05/19/21 09:35 AM
05/19/21 09:35 AM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
NonPC, One thing you have to remember is that the first day battle was on the other side of town and they had to fight their way through it to get to the main battlefield. The union was still amassing troops coming in from Harrisburg PA. The confederates were still trying to get north out of Maryland.

There was also that one cavalry general who got to the battle site really late because he chose to ignore the call to come north and wanted to play cat and mouse further south. Alot of historians feel if he would've had his troops there on the first day it would've been a whole different battle.

The round tops were basically ignored by the confederates and stumbled upon by the union. If not for a tactical chance taken by an observant union general the outcome of the battle and probably the war would've been totally different.

There's a little known place at the base of BRT at the parking area. Instead of going up BRT you go to the left. It's a rock outcropping called Devil's Kitchen. It's really neat.

Last edited by elkaholic; 05/19/21 09:40 AM. Reason: add info

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7268066
05/19/21 08:47 PM
05/19/21 08:47 PM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
Make sure you go to the fudge shop downtown. That was one my buddy owned.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7268098
05/19/21 09:28 PM
05/19/21 09:28 PM
iowa
bankrunner Online content
trapper
bankrunner  Online Content
trapper

iowa
Went on our Senior class trip there back in 1990. I love to watch anything civil war related on tv, any documentaries. It helped having a cool history teacher as an advisor. Went to the White House and the rest of DC and then the Naval academy. Everything Gettysburg and all the spots mentioned was the highlight for me.

Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7268574
05/20/21 03:26 PM
05/20/21 03:26 PM
Michigan
P
PFC Davis Offline OP
trapper
PFC Davis  Offline OP
trapper
P

Michigan
It has been a great experience to say the least, but it was time(both emotionally and physically) to leave. Thank you for all of the comments and suggestions and I hope to go back some day in the future.

I hope ya'll have a wonderful day with your endeavors.

Sincerely,

Samuel

A good life tip:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Matthew 7:3
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7268586
05/20/21 03:44 PM
05/20/21 03:44 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
sitting on the patch of boulders below little round top with a cigar. surreal.

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7268800
05/20/21 09:22 PM
05/20/21 09:22 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
The wild landscape in front of the Round Tops was pretty surreal in thinking of men having to fight in linear formations in such areas. But I was more spooked out by standing in Bloody Angle at Antietam and knowing how deep the bodies were at that spot. So quiet now.

elkaholic- Thanks for reminding me about the Devil's Kitchen. My brother was especially interested in the fighting at the base of LRT on the evening of the 2nd day so we spent more time in the Round Tops area than say the First Day fighting. I had forgotten that particular place's name...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7268804
05/20/21 09:27 PM
05/20/21 09:27 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
https://pcntv.com/gettysburg/

Several videos on this site. Every year on the days of the battle, they do one of these in the order that it happened. The wife knows to not change the channel on the tv those days, lol.

(click on the picture to get the video)

Last edited by hippie; 05/20/21 09:29 PM.
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7268853
05/20/21 10:17 PM
05/20/21 10:17 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Little Round Top would interest me as I had a ggggrandfather that went up that hill. Same reason I can't drive through Chattanooga without thinking of Missionary Ridge, two ggggrandfathers there, one who would die a few days later from his wounds.

[Linked Image]
Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7268899
05/20/21 10:58 PM
05/20/21 10:58 PM
PA
F
Flint Lock Offline
trapper
Flint Lock  Offline
trapper
F

PA
Some might find this a little morbid, but I looked up some actual photographs taken a day or two after the battle that showed some of the dead that hadn’t been removed yet at Devils Den. I then found some of the exact same locations where the soldiers had died. As you walk around and look at everything you have to use your imagination but this made it seem so real.

Re: Having A Gettysburg Experience [Re: PFC Davis] #7268910
05/20/21 11:11 PM
05/20/21 11:11 PM
Belhaven, North Carolina
T
trapperdan93 Offline
trapper
trapperdan93  Offline
trapper
T

Belhaven, North Carolina
Be sure to check out the Cyclorama