No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? #7270565
05/23/21 10:12 AM
05/23/21 10:12 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Reading some fascinating articles on modern America's losing it's heritage of reflecting, most notably played out in someone's storytelling.
Storytelling or narratives require a person chronicling the situation to refrain from all things that derail the story itself, such as;

* Skipping past details for various bias reasons
* Rush to analyze or judge in order to problem solve or advise
* Generalization (a form of personal projection)

This heritage of reflecting is bigger than we may realize. For example, physicians use "case studies," stories for instance which can be derailed by the things mentioned which changes the story itself.

Story telling. Some of you tell a good one while people in American more and more, "ain't got time for all that. I'm all up in those bullet points!"
Makes me reflect.

Blessings on a Sunday!
Mark

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270568
05/23/21 10:22 AM
05/23/21 10:22 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
^^^^ too much generalization there-get to the point.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270572
05/23/21 10:39 AM
05/23/21 10:39 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
It's a hurry up world.

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270575
05/23/21 10:42 AM
Va. Lee Co.
D
Donnie H Offline
trapper
Donnie H  Offline
trapper
D

Va. Lee Co.
It means that people don't want the truth nowdays.
Or can't tell the truth because it might hurt someone's feelings.
Bullshi#$% is what it is. When the shi#$% hits the can they are going to melt.
And no...I won't apologize for this post...

Donnie

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270576
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Lots of things lacking in many peoples thinking today just look what people say everyday even on here to others with no gain to anyone really just more division and that’s OK somehow. The negative is acceptable the positive is seen as weak people preach personal choice as a God given right then condemn others they don’t agree with, some call themselves Christians even though they don’t practice the ways of that claim.

Empathy, compassion, respect for your fellow man is not fashionable in today’s society it seems being a Richard is chic today just sit back and watch the dog and pony shows going on.

Examples
The guy in IA used as cannon fodder some help him most mock the guy every chance they get. They even search for things to mock the guy that he did not post, can’t miss that opportunity to belittle fellow trapper it seems like.

The people not interested in getting Covid shots calling those that did sheep and shotards, why I don’t see the point of these divisive actions what’s to be gained except to keep those high school behaviors going into their adult lives. When it comes a time they need help others will just scroll by in many cases I believe.

Way to many doing the work of the Antis for them about time to start calling them out, let the games begin.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: Law Dog] #7270579
05/23/21 10:46 AM
05/23/21 10:46 AM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Lots of things lacking in many peoples thinking today just look what people say everyday even on here to others with no gain to anyone really just more division and that’s OK somehow. The negative is acceptable the positive is seen as weak people preach personal choice as a God given right then condemn others they don’t agree with, some call themselves Christians even though they don’t practice the ways of that claim.

Empathy, compassion, respect for your fellow man is not fashionable in today’s society it seems being a Richard is chic today just sit back and watch the dog and pony shows going on.

Examples
The guy in IA used as cannon fodder some help him most mock the guy every chance they get. They even search for things to mock the guy that he did not post, can’t miss that opportunity to belittle fellow trapper it seems like.

The people not interested in getting Covid shots calling those that did sheep and shotards, why I don’t see the point of these divisive actions what’s to be gained except to keep those high school behaviors going into their adult lives. When it comes a time they need help others will just scroll by in many cases I believe.

Way to many doing the work of the Antis for them about time to start calling them out, let the games begin.

And I guess you calling people names is OK
I didn't forget..

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: wetdog] #7270582
05/23/21 10:50 AM
05/23/21 10:50 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by wetdog

Examples

And I guess you calling people names is OK
I didn't forget..

Yep I’m sure it was just out of the blue how annoying were you that day? LOL I don’t forget either so that just makes my point of the division part!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: Law Dog] #7270586
05/23/21 10:53 AM
05/23/21 10:53 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa

Examples

You have a point, but I see plenty of kind and helpful posts on here.
We're kinda like siblings, I think. We'll squabble and be mean to each other, but if a guy is down and needs help he'll get it without hesitation.

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270587
05/23/21 10:57 AM
05/23/21 10:57 AM
Va. Lee Co.
D
Donnie H Offline
trapper
Donnie H  Offline
trapper
D

Va. Lee Co.
Yep

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: Boco] #7270591
05/23/21 11:06 AM
05/23/21 11:06 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Boco
^^^^ too much generalization there-get to the point.

Boco my friend in the trapping faith, you are a hoot!
Not the owl type mind you. The fun loving human sort.

Blessings to the beaver slough!
Mark

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270594
05/23/21 11:15 AM
05/23/21 11:15 AM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
Mark, this makes me want to tell a story myself, after having reflected upon a small series of events.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270615
05/23/21 11:51 AM
05/23/21 11:51 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
People no longer think--they react. People no longer read--they scroll and skim. Both of these are a recipe for no reflection. No reflection leads to one messed up society.

And I should have mentioned, most people want to be told how to think (react). They won't admit it but it happens with scary regularity.

These comments apply to, I would estimate, 9 out of 10 people.

Last edited by Blaine County; 05/23/21 12:13 PM. Reason: More reflection and added a guestimate
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: trapdog1] #7270632
05/23/21 12:39 PM
05/23/21 12:39 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by trapdog1

Examples

You have a point, but I see plenty of kind and helpful posts on here.
We're kinda like siblings, I think. We'll squabble and be mean to each other, but if a guy is down and needs help he'll get it without hesitation.

I noticed a aggressive attitude coming my way but in my business over the years taking the “first swing” so to say is not in the cards for me but I will swing back when the time comes after that I just move on I don’t take it personal but I don’t forget the action my gut reminds me. I just don’t dwell on it no good outcome from continuing the issue. Trying to be helpful is even tricky with the assuming, attempts to make you look bad or repeating the things you did not even say often happen. LOL Not directed at you as a general view, tell me I’m wrong and you don’t see that.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270637
05/23/21 12:48 PM
05/23/21 12:48 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Not sure if this applies but I've observed most folks aren't like me when it comes to understanding the past.

I, for some odd reason, want to know and understand the people who made stuff happen.

Most folks just want to know what happened.

[Linked Image]
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270639
05/23/21 12:49 PM
05/23/21 12:49 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
After taking the first swing... laugh

Now take some time to reflect on that. wink

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: hippie] #7270642
05/23/21 01:02 PM
05/23/21 01:02 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by hippie
After taking the first swing... laugh

Now take some time to reflect on that. wink

Not taking the first swing is what it says. LOL

Last edited by Law Dog; 05/23/21 01:03 PM.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: Law Dog] #7270648
05/23/21 01:15 PM
05/23/21 01:15 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
When people or a society live just for the moment, we become much more like non-reasoning animals. In our modern instant event accounting, not much need for reflection, and maybe more importantly no desire to. The ability is there in my opinion but not the desire or the reason to see the need. Not really new, people have been hating to have to take history classes since my time in school. We are just moving away from the need to reflect faster than in the past. "Life can only be understood by reviewing the past, but life can only be lived by looking into the future".

Bryce

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270654
05/23/21 01:28 PM
05/23/21 01:28 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Although we as humans have always been quick to speak and slow to listen it's getting worse with the in your face technology and instant gratification. This is part of many reasons I hate my kids being on electronics.

Reflecting is something I'm trying to instill in my kids. They keep getting in trouble I tel them to think before they act, think before they speak, and reflect on what they did to get them in trouble and to learn from it.

I love to teach by stories especially life experiences. It's just part of my culture.

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: Law Dog] #7270655
05/23/21 01:30 PM
05/23/21 01:30 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
"Lots of things lacking in many peoples thinking today just look what people say everyday even on here to others with no gain to anyone really just more division and that’s OK somehow. The negative is acceptable the positive is seen as weak people preach personal choice as a God given right then condemn others they don’t agree with, some call themselves Christians even though they don’t practice the ways of that claim."

I could not agree more. I get a kick out of those that profess to be Christians yet treat others like crap. It happens on here constantly. Some of
those who want to seem the most Holy are the worst.

"Empathy, compassion, respect for your fellow man is not fashionable in today’s society it seems being a Richard is chic today just sit back and watch the dog and pony shows going on."

It is pretty darn sad. God bless my late mother. She would be ashamed of me, and I would be too, if I followed some of the poor examples we see.

Examples
"The guy in IA used as cannon fodder some help him most mock the guy every chance they get. They even search for things to mock the guy that he did not post, can’t miss that opportunity to belittle fellow trapper it seems like."

The above example should make your stomach turn. I can remember seeing behavior like described when in grade school and even high school. I kind of figured that one would not see that behavior with grown men, but I was wrong.

"The people not interested in getting Covid shots calling those that did sheep and shotards, why I don’t see the point of these divisive actions what’s to be gained except to keep those high school behaviors going into their adult lives. When it comes a time they need help others will just scroll by in many cases I believe."

I have been amazed of the number of medical experts we have in society.

"Way to many doing the work of the Antis for them about time to start calling them out, let the games begin."

You hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Mac

Re: Are Americans losing our ability to reflect? [Re: ] #7270658
05/23/21 01:32 PM
05/23/21 01:32 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
History is important , should not be rewritten to meet some narrative, and should be taught in schools. , not selectively either.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread