Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Trap Treating Methods #7287988
06/16/21 09:25 PM
06/16/21 09:25 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline OP
trapper
AuthorTrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Central/Western Texas
Hey guys,
So last season I decided I wanted to try a different trap treating method for all of my traps. I came up with one and I REALLY LIKE IT!
So I spray paint all of my traps, hung them up, and let them air out for about 2 weeks. After that they were totally scentless. (I recommend using Rustoleum 2x; same price, goes a lot farther, gives you a nicer and more even coat.) Now, I did this in the middle of the pre-season, so I would put one coat on, let that dry, then then wet them down with water, and let them sit for several days. If I got too light of a coat anywhere, or missed a spot, a light rust would appear. That is any easy way to ensure that you get a good coat.
So once they are dry and scentless, I dip them in Southern Snare's "Bullet Proof" trap coat, let them dry over night, dip them once more, and as soon as they are dry, they are ready to put in the ground!

What I like about it, your traps won't absorb scent like waxed traps will. There is no long process that you have to do that will take a full day. You can get the spray-paint at your local hardware store instead of having to order it. You can do a little bit at a time if you want and can stop and start back up whenever. It is good for land and water traps. It protects the traps very well. The "Bullet Proof" seals the trap completely, holds the paint on better, and makes the trap faster like wax, without absorbing odors. You don't have to let your traps rust in order to treat them. And I've found that the treatment will hold up a lot longer than any other treating method I've ever tried.

I just thought I would share it with you guys. Maybe somebody will find it useful!

Re: Trap Treating Methods [Re: AuthorTrapper] #7288731
06/18/21 12:16 AM
06/18/21 12:16 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
I’ll try it on a dozen. I painted a few last year and got along good. Thanks

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Trap Treating Methods [Re: AuthorTrapper] #7288872
06/18/21 08:24 AM
06/18/21 08:24 AM
New Mexico, USA
K
Koss2005 Offline
trapper
Koss2005  Offline
trapper
K

New Mexico, USA
For about the last eight years I've been doing the paint dip and FMJ. I've had great luck with it. At the end of the season I usually take about half my traps and power wash them and dip them in the FMJ because there not that tore up from catchs, but some are and I'll strip them down to the metal and do the entire process.

Re: Trap Treating Methods [Re: Pawnee] #7288929
06/18/21 09:35 AM
06/18/21 09:35 AM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Central/Western Texas
Originally Posted by Pawnee
I’ll try it on a dozen. I painted a few last year and got along good. Thanks

I think you will like it!

Re: Trap Treating Methods [Re: Koss2005] #7288930
06/18/21 09:36 AM
06/18/21 09:36 AM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Central/Western Texas
Originally Posted by Koss2005
For about the last eight years I've been doing the paint dip and FMJ. I've had great luck with it. At the end of the season I usually take about half my traps and power wash them and dip them in the FMJ because there not that tore up from catchs, but some are and I'll strip them down to the metal and do the entire process.

You dip your traps in paint? If so, what kind???

Re: Trap Treating Methods [Re: AuthorTrapper] #7289016
06/18/21 12:38 PM
06/18/21 12:38 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Formula 1 is basically laytex paint. Have use it for about 15 years now. Its does well. BUT when I was younger AND much poorer. I used spray paint in the early 90. Just the plain old 99 cent wal mart. Flat Black. Did well. Caught hundreds of coyotes on it. Before i went to Formula 1

Re: Trap Treating Methods [Re: AuthorTrapper] #7289031
06/18/21 01:20 PM
06/18/21 01:20 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Hey good job and hope that works for you.

I've gone back to waxing. Last year I dyed and waxed (boil dye) this year I am waxing only.
Ive used dips, paints, floor wax (fmj) you name it and caught coyotes.
I went back to wax as way to keep moisture to a minimum, protect it while in the ground, and makes them a little faster.
Really hard freezes here late winter. Waxed dirt and waxed traps are only thing I found that keep sets operational. Freeze thaw and freezing rain are challenges.
Some of my traps are VERY old. Vic and Blake and Lamb double longs, and some northwoods and monty coils. Still work like new, still using for coyotes.
Wax is best rust and freeze preventer I found. Paints and dips works but aren't durable and don't stop moisture freezes from operation of trap. However, i do still have a lot of partially pink traps from 6-7 years ago when they all got dyed bright pink...so it lasts a little. On other hand got a few still dyed from gas dips and those have about as much wear and flaking as the painted ones do.
I wax 110s too for mink blind sets in winter. Keeps them operational and nothing else ive used does when temps average around zero.
I wax traps in a big slow cooker, a few at a time. No flame and can donit any time in garage.
Once the trap is bedded in ground color and whatever else you use will be tested for protection and operation in harsh cold. You wouldn't bury your best hammer and wrench without some protection from rust...traps are just steel too but need to operate well under those conditions too.
If wheel grease or the old gun cosmoline didnt stink and would stay on traps id use that too to keep moisture at bay and trap functioning. For now i use wax. Just go with something to protect your investment and have confidence in using it.

Last edited by jabNE; 06/18/21 01:56 PM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Trap Treating Methods [Re: AuthorTrapper] #7289091
06/18/21 02:41 PM
06/18/21 02:41 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Powder coating.