Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Strong late season bait #7290172
06/20/21 09:31 AM
06/20/21 09:31 AM
Michigan
B
BullOx Offline OP
trapper
BullOx  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan
I’m trying to make a strong smelling late season bait. I’ve let the meat base rot until it’s rancid but once I add the SB for preservative within a week or so it’s very mellowed out. How can I keep the strong smell for those -10°f nights?

Trapping is easy you say? You try getting your target animal to step in a 3 inch area of its whole territory.
Re: Strong late season bait [Re: BullOx] #7290247
06/20/21 11:10 AM
06/20/21 11:10 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Most trappers under estimate a predators sense of smell. Needing a real stinky bait isn't required for successful cold winter trapping. Just keeping your lure and bait from freezing and placing some in an elevated position when possible is key.

Find your good locations with the animals and you will connect if your sets are working. Snaring is another situation when bait stations and aerial positioned lure, bait or some stink hung in a perforated milk jug/ feed sack etc for example. Down wind travel is always enhanced with elevation positions.

Re: Strong late season bait [Re: BullOx] #7290543
06/20/21 06:53 PM
06/20/21 06:53 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
When you stopped the aging process it stopped producing the gas that gave it that strong odor. No way I know to hold that odor. Ethyl Mercaptan is the main gas that is produced, ive tried to get some to play with but haven't been successful yet. Where I use to work we had it. Very very potent and long lasting stuff. But as Bob stated attractiveness is more important and will catch you more critter than potentcy. Some ingredients will add push and/or longevity to a formulation. In Carmen's book he said he would start aging the meat a month or three before he used it without any preservatives if he wanted the strong tainted odor

Re: Strong late season bait [Re: BullOx] #7290723
06/20/21 11:36 PM
06/20/21 11:36 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I take tainted over rotten bait any day put out larger baits and let them sit out for a while then set the area once the traffic gets heavy.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Strong late season bait [Re: BullOx] #7292741
06/24/21 09:14 AM
06/24/21 09:14 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Last few seasons I've had great success with fresh cut up baits and a shot of fox or coyote pee.
For change ups I use commercial baits but bulk of late winter catches have been off dirtholes with chopped up deer parts, muskrat, beaver, or carp. Pieces about size of golf ball or so.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Strong late season bait [Re: BullOx] #7293254
06/24/21 09:36 PM
06/24/21 09:36 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I always thought the gas produced was methane? Whatever it is I prefer it escapes. Seems like I read somewhere that tainted meat is similar to cooked meat in that it is easier to digest. So I figure if I am going after a food attractant a little taint will make it more appealing much like cooked meat. I think its better after all that gas is gone. Instead of hoping the wind is blowing the right direction I TRY to get it where the animal will be even without scents. Dont underestimate the value of some good oil either. Waddel won the coyote trapping contest with leftover fast food chicken bones for bait and urine. Deep fried left over chicken bones.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Strong late season bait [Re: danny clifton] #7293617
06/25/21 02:20 PM
06/25/21 02:20 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I always thought the gas produced was methane? Whatever it is I prefer it escapes. Seems like I read somewhere that tainted meat is similar to cooked meat in that it is easier to digest. So I figure if I am going after a food attractant a little taint will make it more appealing much like cooked meat. I think its better after all that gas is gone. Instead of hoping the wind is blowing the right direction I TRY to get it where the animal will be even without scents. Dont underestimate the value of some good oil either. Waddel won the coyote trapping contest with leftover fast food chicken bones for bait and urine. Deep fried left over chicken bones.

methane is odorless

Re: Strong late season bait [Re: BullOx] #7294747
06/27/21 01:23 PM
06/27/21 01:23 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
A drop of 2 of skunk goes a long way!

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Strong late season bait [Re: BullOx] #7294791
06/27/21 02:56 PM
06/27/21 02:56 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
If I was going for a late season long distance call I'd at look to rotten fish juice, skunk and maybe some castor. Pour liberal amount on bush, clump of grass, or down a hole and make conventional sets in area surroundings the stink. Volume = odor

Re: Strong late season bait [Re: BullOx] #7295671
06/28/21 08:09 PM
06/28/21 08:09 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
X2 on what Bob stated with snares and baits/lures

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Strong late season bait [Re: Yes sir] #7326448
08/10/21 10:31 AM
08/10/21 10:31 AM
western, Iowa
F
FDChief Offline
trapper
FDChief  Offline
trapper
F

western, Iowa
Originally Posted by Yes sir

methane is odorless

Originally Posted by Yes sir

methane is odorless

Correct. The rotten egg smell is added as a safety precaution. At the natural gas substations outside of town, the mercaptan is added before it goes to the community.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91