Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What causes this? [Re: Boy Named Sue] #7290531
06/20/21 06:41 PM
06/20/21 06:41 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
I’ve had this happen too and didn’t understand it either. The closed loop always had fur in it so I think the critter was either leg or tail caught and the snare continued to close after the critter pulled out. Kind of a whiplash effect.

I haven’t tried this but I was thinking of putting a deer stop a couple inches from the end. A tail or leg caught critter would pull out but the snares wouldn’t self-close in the pack before being set. Just thinking out loud, I guess

Never too old to learn
Re: What causes this? [Re: Boy Named Sue] #7290565
06/20/21 07:18 PM
06/20/21 07:18 PM
Oak Grove, LA.
G
Gittr Dunn Offline
trapper
Gittr Dunn  Offline
trapper
G

Oak Grove, LA.
I've had this happen numerous times when using wood supports close to the dam on castor mounds. The beaver grab the supports to put in the dam and pull the snare backwards until it tightens up and pulls loose. The support is usually found in the dam. Hope this helps!!

Re: What causes this? [Re: Boy Named Sue] #7290614
06/20/21 08:48 PM
06/20/21 08:48 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
After reading a few more replies, I agree with SniperB that 2/3rds of the snart needs to be out of the water, myself, 2" of it under water. Those beaver, in a 10" loop, can get entirely through a 2/3rds below the water loop. But...2" of it below causes a more advanced...farther foreward catch nearer to the head as that snare has to close as the head goes through and the body can not. 9" loop, when I do it. 2" submerged.
I dont do it much.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91