ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: DHH] #7296076
06/29/21 01:46 PM
06/29/21 01:46 PM
NC
C
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper
Carolina Foxer  Offline
trapper
C

NC
Made the mistake of trading out some beaver trapping for a friend in trade for some other work I needed done (estimated value $450). I thought going in I was going to tag 2-3 beavers and be done, so it was a good deal. 9 beavers later, I was ready to eat my hat...

Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: DHH] #7296080
06/29/21 02:13 PM
06/29/21 02:13 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Some jobs whether beaver or coyote work can end up being more time and expense then you first anticipated. Since I have done this longer then most and when you are doing this for a part of your annual income you learn to bid for the unforeseen as more times then not it ends up that way. Interference from do gooders, stolen equipment, traps set off, time spent watching the job site to prevent more lost equipment etc. It all adds up fast on some jobs.

I have had some beaver and coyote jobs that took way more time and effort then initially expected. Some go like clock work others not at all.

Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: DHH] #7296236
06/29/21 06:08 PM
06/29/21 06:08 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Oh heck, a simple grey squirrel job with an entrance a 10 feet off the ground can cost a lot more than you anticipate when you catch a squirrel, then a grackel, a couple sparrows, then the baby greys finally decide its time to make it out of the hole. By this time the customer is so paranoid that every sound they hear is a squirrel. Then the carrion flies show up...

Point is, even the simple jobs can become stupidly complicated when you least expect it. In my experience, this only happens when you think the job is simple and quote a price that reflects how hard you think the job will be.

Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: DHH] #7296346
06/29/21 08:12 PM
06/29/21 08:12 PM
Minnesota
MNEric Online content
trapper
MNEric  Online Content
trapper

Minnesota
Had a big job this spring and charged per beaver. 4 weeks and 84 beaver later and still made out very good.

Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: EatenByLimestone] #7296439
06/29/21 10:12 PM
06/29/21 10:12 PM
Nashville, TN 27 y/o
J
JoeyHalk Offline
trapper
JoeyHalk  Offline
trapper
J

Nashville, TN 27 y/o
Originally Posted by MNEric
Had a big job this spring and charged per beaver. 4 weeks and 84 beaver later and still made out very good.

Emphasis on BIG! Nice job. A job like that could’ve missed out if it was quoted on a per trip basis.

Originally Posted by EatenByLimestone
Oh heck, a simple grey squirrel job with an entrance a 10 feet off the ground can cost a lot more than you anticipate when you catch a squirrel, then a grackel, a couple sparrows, then the baby greys finally decide its time to make it out of the hole. By this time the customer is so paranoid that every sound they hear is a squirrel. Then the carrion flies show up...

Point is, even the simple jobs can become stupidly complicated when you least expect it. In my experience, this only happens when you think the job is simple and quote a price that reflects how hard you think the job will be.

This is spot on. Especially the last sentence lol. Recently caught 12 moles in less than a .25 acre. Every time I showed up there was more activity.

Some jobs I price per animal and others I give a flat rate and maybe a per trip cost added on. I’m moving more and more towards flat rates. Many times customers freak out thinking you’re going to catch 40 squirrels despite what you tell them. I know this is a beaver topic but could go either way.

Maybe a setup fee, per trip fee, and then a per animal fee is best. Drop the $40 trip if you get a $100 animal that day. Just thinking out loud here.

once you go trap, you never come back

www.halkerswildlifecontrol.com
Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: DHH] #7296543
06/30/21 06:39 AM
06/30/21 06:39 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have always found over time a set up fee and a per trip fee will cover time vested and mileage all the time. Profits are based on your experience on how well you bid your per trip basis in most cases. If multiple catches are expected and extra time/work is anticipated a per animal fee is added at times. Some jobs are fluid others are simple and basic.

Per animal fees only work don't allow much profit most of the time I have found. In fact you will loose money in many cases on those types of jobs due to the go back for nothing trips. Set off traps, interference type scenarios etc. Just not enough profit or margin for error in that method of pricing for a full business operation.

A one man show you may get by but not much to show for it unless you don't value your services to a higher standard and profit margin. When you are paying considerable monthly overhead you begin to re think your business model.

Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: DHH] #7296913
06/30/21 06:41 PM
06/30/21 06:41 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If you cant handle some jobs efficiently you shouldnt pass on the cost of that ineptitude to customers.
Every job must be charged on the same basis to every customer to be ethical.if you dont have the depth of experience to catch educated beaver and have to make a bunch of extra trips the customer should not eat that cost-you should.

Last edited by Boco; 06/30/21 06:43 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: DHH] #7296944
06/30/21 07:34 PM
06/30/21 07:34 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
I charge based upon distance and yes, difficulty. if I'm ineptitude about it,.then so be it. As long i get paid, i'm good with whatever someone wants to call me. I stay busy, so, must be doing something right. It's also the customers right to refuse my proposal. Free market here in the U.S..............Sarge

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: DHH] #7297012
06/30/21 09:09 PM
06/30/21 09:09 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Sometimes there are limiting conditions...like permission limits...beaver on other side of creek/ pond where no permission is granted. Or a lone single beaver that has a mind of its own....no pattern...long time between visiting where your traps are positioned. Careful scouting and then questioning can help when pricing jobs like this but still there are those unusual situations that can’t be helped.

Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: DHH] #7297683
07/01/21 10:15 PM
07/01/21 10:15 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
Beaver jobs you have to charge per beaver. Depending on the time of season things can change ver fast.

Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: MNEric] #7298721
07/03/21 08:08 PM
07/03/21 08:08 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by MNEric

Now that sounds like a fun job. Most beaver jobs are fun, but that one sounds great

Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: DHH] #7300611
07/06/21 03:22 PM
07/06/21 03:22 PM
Timmins Ontario
G
gibb Offline
trapper
gibb  Offline
trapper
G

Timmins Ontario
A big consideration is who's paying and how fast you will get paid, if it is a landowner on the spot that is one thing if you are doing it for a large company/ industry you need to charge more because most take a couple of months to pay. Plus you may have safety requirements that add extra time into the job. Charging by the animal can be a tough go depending on the situation. Do you require insurance, not all jobs are the same.
One place I do beaver work requires me to wear category three high visibility clothing, which is extra and above just trapping the beaver.

Re: What to charge for nuisance beaver work [Re: DHH] #7300782
07/06/21 07:11 PM
07/06/21 07:11 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
I say, do what works for you. If you are satisfied with per animal and set up fees vs hourly. Then who cares, as long as it works for you. I've tried it that way, didn't work for me. so, i went to hourly and that works. Might have to go up on my prices since everything is costing more.

I don't worry about who's doing what and isn't. The beavers will force people into doing some type of removal sooner or later. The problem will not fix itself. Sarge

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread