No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7301126
07/07/21 07:53 AM
07/07/21 07:53 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
A person always needs to know the dangers present in an unfamiliar environment and take precautions accordingly if possible. We talk a lot about city folk not knowing how to stay safe in the wild, but us rural folk are in a similar situation if we have occasion to go to an inner city. Many city folk instinctively recognize the dangers from gang members or drug dealers via behavior patterns that rural folk may miss. Being unfamiliar with the inner city, we don't know the neighborhoods or areas to avoid to stay safe the way a resident of the city does. That always made me uncomfortable when I went to Philly to visit the son living there. Finally I convinced him to move his family and they now live in N.C. Two weeks before the move his car parked in front of their 1st floor appartment took a bullet through the rear window.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7301132
07/07/21 07:59 AM
07/07/21 07:59 AM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
Outdoorsmen gripe/complain about COs, Wardens and Rangers, well guys here is good example of why some of these professionals are always concerned about the uneducated interacting with nature. The uneducated in the woods create the opportunity for issues with bears, lions, snakes, boars, coyotes, foxes and other critters (not to mention getting lost, hypothermia, water hazards, drowning and climbing big rocks for a selfie and falling off: oh lets not forget poor maintenance of camp sites causing forest fires). The COs do not worry so much about us out there as we are supposedly semi trained to stay out of trouble and have some common sense. Some even rely on us to point out the non educated. We know bear pepper spray is more like a condiment to a grizzly.

What happened is sad but will continue in the future. Survival skillsets to trappers and most hunters are second nature. We are fortunate to be able to enjoy the wilderness and the woods for a reason.

Stay safe out there and thank our professionals in the woods when you see them,, they deal with problems bigger than us every day.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7301135
07/07/21 08:05 AM
07/07/21 08:05 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
If Timothy Treadwell taught is anything it is that they will eat you. Even if a human isn't their favorite meal or if a man is ignorant enough to think he has them figured out, it can and does happen.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7301171
07/07/21 09:26 AM
07/07/21 09:26 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: tomahawker] #7301178
07/07/21 09:41 AM
07/07/21 09:41 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by tomahawker
Sad to hear a woman lost her life. But I have to say I like that there are still wild places and wild things and dangerous things.

This is my take on it. There's not really many truly wild places left in the lower 48,places that are the same as they were for 1000s of years. Killing grizzly bears in wild places because those bears might hurt people would make those places not wild anymore, it's just be another place managed by humans for human reasons.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: cmcf] #7301190
07/07/21 09:56 AM
07/07/21 09:56 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by cmcf
Originally Posted by Leftlane
A lot of them are probably hippy granola types who think firearms are scary

I don’t think I have ever seen a cyclist, you know with the pointy helmets that was packin’ Left Lane you might be on to something lol.

Call them pointy hat riders "woodpeckers "

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7301219
07/07/21 10:50 AM
07/07/21 10:50 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
The previous grizzly attack here in Montana the CNN reported on in this story isn't accurate he died from the injuries sustained from the grizzly bear that was protecting it's food source.

As for sleeping in the pickup cab , near Cooke City there were black bears that had thing's figured out if they seen a cooler inside the cab they'd rare up on their back legs and hit the roof and or side door glass with both front paws until the glass broke then climb inside grab the cooler and in some cases toss it outside and then dig it open .
Or destroy it inside the cab depending on the bears mood ha ha

Many campgrounds suggest or demand hard sided campers and no tents in them .

A portable electric fence around your camp is a good idea too .

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Allan Minear] #7301225
07/07/21 11:01 AM
07/07/21 11:01 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by Allan Minear
The previous grizzly attack here in Montana the CNN reported on in this story isn't accurate he died from the injuries sustained from the grizzly bear that was protecting it's food source.

As for sleeping in the pickup cab , near Cooke City there were black bears that had thing's figured out if they seen a cooler inside the cab they'd rare up on their back legs and hit the roof and or side door glass with both front paws until the glass broke then climb inside grab the cooler and in some cases toss it outside and then dig it open .
Or destroy it inside the cab depending on the bears mood ha ha

Many campgrounds suggest or demand hard sided campers and no tents in them .

A portable electric fence around your camp is a good idea too .

The electric fence around a tent gave me instant ideas for a cartoon
grin

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Moosetrot] #7301232
07/07/21 11:21 AM
07/07/21 11:21 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
I read on the internet that Grizzlies have adapted to the point they can pick vehicle locks.

grin

Moosetrot

After watching a black bear open up a car like a can of soda I don’t think a grizzly would even bother with locks

I actually heard about this a few days ago and my opinion is if a grizzly walks into camp and then leaves without trouble I am going to get out of that area just on the off chance it might come back, the simple fact he came into camp would in and of itself warrant getting out of the area because he has already shown a lack of fear and caution around people, and that’s a dangerous situation to be in

Sadly some people have no clue, sad someone had to lose their life because of it, equally sad is after the grizzly left the first time they were probably all excited about the encounter they just had

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7301236
07/07/21 11:25 AM
07/07/21 11:25 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Gun or no gun. If your curled up In your sleeping bag sleeping In the tent and a bear decides It wants In. Your chances are pretty slim.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7301243
07/07/21 11:43 AM
07/07/21 11:43 AM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
I look at it this way.

The wilderness is a place of beauty and raw carnage.

A gun may not help but I’ll take my chances. And if it’s nature or my family, nature can suck lead.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7301245
07/07/21 11:51 AM
07/07/21 11:51 AM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
How would you like to be the folks living in that town the day the gubment decided their homes and businesses were now going to be in a grizzly bear ecosystem recovery area.?

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7301249
07/07/21 12:05 PM
07/07/21 12:05 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
This reminds me of people who go out into the country, then freak out and kill a snake when they see one. It's the snake's home.....the human is a visitor.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Leftlane] #7301250
07/07/21 12:08 PM
07/07/21 12:08 PM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

St. Croix County, Wisconsin
In Tim's case although an idiot for sure he had been fine until he brought a female with him who was having "lady issues" at the time of the attack. Bear came into to camp and left during I assume daylight hours. If on bikes more than likely not for the air sealed freeze dried food. I would bet that she was taken for that same reason.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Marty] #7301254
07/07/21 12:12 PM
07/07/21 12:12 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
I agree with that.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Dean Chapel] #7301256
07/07/21 12:13 PM
07/07/21 12:13 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by Dean Chapel
How would you like to be the folks living in that town the day the gubment decided their homes and businesses were now going to be in a grizzly bear ecosystem recovery area.?

Yes, having griz in your area isn't all it's cracked up to be. Hunting restrictions in black bear harvesting especially. In NW MT, on into N Idaho, baiting or running black bear with dogs is restricted . Because of the dang grizzlies. In this area, there are wonderful colour phase large blacks, in every colour imagined...and you have to just stumble across them , or, if someone has apple trees on their private property, and is having problems with blacks breaking them up as they climb for fruit, is about the surest way to wait and find a nice one. Of course the locals know the woods, and the areas most likely to find spring bears in grass openings, or berry bush patches in fall . Like Alaskan bear hunts, searching along the shore in grass areas does work, but it still is chance. Places where baiting is allowed is the prime way to have a good choice of a large boar with amazing colour, to see sows and cubs , and judge size of the males much better.

I wish grizzlies here are managed the way Alaska , Canada and some other countries are.

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Dean Chapel] #7301258
07/07/21 12:23 PM
07/07/21 12:23 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA

My same thoughts anywhere ecoweenies decide to "reintroduce" dangerous predators and/or curtail trapping and hunting of those critters. Our forefathers had the foresight and commonsense to rid human-inhabited land of grizzlies, wolfs, mountain lions...

Even if they didn't eradicate them the remaining critters had a healthy fear of humans.

Not so much anymore.

Eh...wot?

Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Dean Chapel] #7301305
07/07/21 02:35 PM
07/07/21 02:35 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND

Isn't the entire state of MT a grizzly bear recovery area now? Or did they open a season on them?

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7301312
07/07/21 02:46 PM
07/07/21 02:46 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Originally Posted by Marty
people biking thru Montana stopped in a small town to set up tents for the night.....apparently a grizz came by but left and they stayed. Grizz came back and dragged a woman out of her tent and killed her....imagine that happening to you?

Long past due for real management of Grizzly bears in the Western U.S. These stories keep happening and it's getting ridiculous.

Absolutely right! A friend of mine went on a guided elk hunt. They shot two elk and the guide told them they needed to get the meat back to camp as soon as possible. Gunshots are like a dinner bell and alert bears who can smell blood for great distances. My friend asked if it bear came along before they had the meat out, could you shoot it?

The guide said if you do, you'd better have bear injuries and were acting in self defense to explain why you killed the bear.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: grizz kills woman in Montana town. [Re: Moosetrot] #7301326
07/07/21 03:03 PM
07/07/21 03:03 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
I read on the internet that Grizzlies have adapted to the point they can pick vehicle locks.

grin

Moosetrot

I laughed loud enough that people looked at me... More than usual.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread