Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Alpha Male wolf myth? #7301888
07/08/21 12:31 PM
07/08/21 12:31 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline OP
trapper
PAskinner  Offline OP
trapper
P

PA
Ok so I was having a discussion with some one on line and wolves came up. He claims that wolf packs don't actually have pecking orders in the wild. So I thought I would ask people who should know. What do you think?
You can find multiple articles online saying the alpha male idea was a myth.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: PAskinner] #7301892
07/08/21 12:38 PM
07/08/21 12:38 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
Not a myth on my trapline. smile

Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid!
Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: PAskinner] #7301906
07/08/21 01:14 PM
07/08/21 01:14 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
The term ALPHA was coined by Dave Mech........famed wolf biologist on Isle Royale. He has since said he regrets ever using the term because it implies that an individual wolf is born as an 'alpha'. He says this is absolutely not the case. and the better term would be the "dominant" individual or "dominant pair" or best of all, the "breeding pair".

There clearly is a social structure within a pack but it does have some flexibility to respond to habitat and age/sex structure of each pack.

The best book on the subject that I have read is here:

https://www.amazon.com/Wolves-Behavior-Conservation-David-Mech/dp/0226516970

Gulo would have the most valuable input on this subject IMO

Mean As Nails
Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: PAskinner] #7302049
07/08/21 06:42 PM
07/08/21 06:42 PM
ontario
K
k9-hunter Offline
trapper
k9-hunter  Offline
trapper
K

ontario
from what i have read up on most packs consist of mom and dad and that years litter and left overs from the previous years litter and maybe an aunt or uncle also packs will gather together to make larger packs usually to bring down larger prey or to make hunting more efficent but even than im willing to bet both packs are closely related

Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: PAskinner] #7302348
07/09/21 06:35 AM
07/09/21 06:35 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Depends on what you think "alpha" means. I always translated alpha=dominant, as White stated, and there is generally always a dominant male wolf. Not sure what could be a "myth" about that. Now if you tried to translate from all those werewolf books with the barechested guy on the cover, yeah "alpha" probably means something like "born superior" or "born to lead", and they have a beta and an omega and possibly a cum laude. . . yeah, that is a myth.

Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: PAskinner] #7302358
07/09/21 06:54 AM
07/09/21 06:54 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
In any group of wolves, there will be a definite pecking order. Some are more dominant and some are more submissive. That pecking order can change over time. Dynamic, not static.

By the way, its not just wolves. If you have 6 or 7 Chihuahua dogs in a group (pack?!!), they will exhibit the same pecking order.

Same thing with a dog team! Most wheel dogs are just waiting to kick some butt and move up in the order!

In fact, if you have a "group" of just TWO canines, one will be dominant (the "alpha...")

Pete

Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: PAskinner] #7302387
07/09/21 08:09 AM
07/09/21 08:09 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline OP
trapper
PAskinner  Offline OP
trapper
P

PA
Thanks. That's exactly what the guy was trying to claim, that research shows no pecking order in wild wolves. It doesn't sound right to me because what social animals don't have a pecking order?
I wonder if it's just something that's being pushed to make wolves sound more lovable and cuddly.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: PAskinner] #7302961
07/10/21 07:25 AM
07/10/21 07:25 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted by PAskinner

I wonder if it's just something that's being pushed to make wolves sound more lovable and cuddly.

Ya think?!!!!!

Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: PAskinner] #7303166
07/10/21 02:33 PM
07/10/21 02:33 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Wolves are cuddly little cannibals.
Often when a pack is stressed any wolf that shows weakness becomes lunch.This could be any wolf-young or old.

Last edited by Boco; 07/10/21 02:34 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: Pete in Frbks] #7303168
07/10/21 02:36 PM
07/10/21 02:36 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks
In any group of wolves, there will be a definite pecking order. Some are more dominant and some are more submissive. That pecking order can change over time. Dynamic, not static.

By the way, its not just wolves. If you have 6 or 7 Chihuahua dogs in a group (pack?!!), they will exhibit the same pecking order.

Same thing with a dog team! Most wheel dogs are just waiting to kick some butt and move up in the order!

In fact, if you have a "group" of just TWO canines, one will be dominant (the "alpha...")

Pete

Same with humans.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: Boco] #7303192
07/10/21 02:59 PM
07/10/21 02:59 PM
alaska
3 Fingers Offline
trapper
3 Fingers  Offline
trapper

alaska
Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks

Pete

Same with humans.

This is true. Long ago a wildlife trooper explained to me that when approaching a group of offenders he had to be able to pick out the leader and that was the guy to confront

Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: PAskinner] #7303817
07/11/21 02:33 PM
07/11/21 02:33 PM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
https://sciencenorway.no/a/1850514

Here's an article from April on the subject, and I had a different one pop up in one of my suggested feeds the other day.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Alpha Male wolf myth? [Re: PAskinner] #7303820
07/11/21 02:36 PM
07/11/21 02:36 PM
Interior Alaska
O
Oh Snap Offline
trapper
Oh Snap  Offline
trapper
O

Interior Alaska
Anyone that has spent any time trapping wolves know that the APLHA wolf is not a myth. If you have come to the conclusion that it is a myth you need to spent time in the wilderness and not in the propaganda of the animal rights groups!!!

I have had the privilege spening almost 50 years and many hundreds of miles on snow covered trails observing wolf tracks, that's where the story begins!. It didn't take long to realize that they are a formidable opponent! Unlike the harnessed dog team that Pete talks about that needs to be harnessed to perform, wolves have one objective in life and that is to survive the most efficiently way and that is to eat. The structure of an alpha provides that! Surviving as a pack with leadership provides that structure.

My observations are that the wolves would follow in single file when traveling, unlike dogs who would be all over the place. When they would hunt part of the pack would split up working a drainage for food. I have caught wolves within minutes of coming down the trail and heard the pack talking to the caught one. I have walked many miles of wolf trails hanging snares and what I learned doing that isn't in any book. By the way I have had great success snaring that way. I have NEVER observed a small paw print in the lead where a pack has been, ALWAYS LARGE PRINTS and I believe that is the ALPHA. And size does matter to an observer! Early one morning just at daylight a group of Caribou crossed in front of my trail and when I pulled up on my snow machine at the crossing of the Caribou tracks there were very large wolf tracks and the wolves were right in the group of caribou probably eating at will.

As Dean Wilson would say " wolves are smart and incredibly lucky" and if you have spent any time trapping wolves you know Dean was right!

Thank You
Snap

I love the smell of burning spruce---I love the sound of a spring time goose---I love the feel of 40 below---from my trapline I will never go!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman