Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Wire drowners #7303672
07/11/21 10:04 AM
07/11/21 10:04 AM
Beadle county South Dakota-13 ...
F
farmkid2021 Offline OP
trapper
farmkid2021  Offline OP
trapper
F

Beadle county South Dakota-13 ...
So I wanted to try some wire downers for coon can anyone put up pics of some set ups

Re: Wire drowners [Re: farmkid2021] #7303716
07/11/21 11:45 AM
07/11/21 11:45 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Wire drowners really arent complicated. A length of wire two stakes and a drowning lock, which is usually for me the trap swivel .

Pro tip for making these up before hand...Get your wire out and attach one end to a post or other sturdy object. Run out about 100 feet of wire(thats about the limit ive found). Put that end into a drill. Now run the drill until the wire straightens out. Now you can go and precut your wires to length. Just remember you'll loose about a foot of wire when you attach it to your stakes so adjust accordingly.

Re: Wire drowners [Re: farmkid2021] #7303733
07/11/21 12:30 PM
07/11/21 12:30 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Personally I prefer to carry a roll of wire, not a 1000 roll, but peel off about as much as you are comfortable carrying, 100 feet or so. then roll it into a roll that can be comfortably slung crossways like a bandolier, then carry that and a pair of wire cutters in your pocket. When you get to where you are going to make your set, attach one end to the drowning stake and drive it in deep water, then you can see just where to cut the other end for the bank stake. You don't have to deal with excess wasted wire, nor are you trying to make a drowner work with a precut piece of wire that is a foot too short.
Just my preference, I trap in a lot of small streams and beaver ponds where the length of drowning wire varies wildly from set to set.

Re: Wire drowners [Re: farmkid2021] #7303749
07/11/21 12:56 PM
07/11/21 12:56 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
I prefer to use the heavy wire that is used to wire up cardboard bales for the commercial box crushers, then it’s just precut to length and ready to go

Nowadays though I have largely gone to either cable or rod with a preference for rod on the road line and cable when walking into a swamp/lake or river bank, it just holds up better if you tie into an unexpected otter or beaver you didn’t know was in the area, which can really test your system if all your expecting is a rat/mink or coon

But I have caught a lot of fur with just simple wire drowners

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Wire drowners [Re: farmkid2021] #7304295
07/12/21 10:07 AM
07/12/21 10:07 AM
northern indiana
son-of-grizz Offline
trapper
son-of-grizz  Offline
trapper

northern indiana
I also use the wire from cardboard balers. Have 2 rolls from work for free. I've gotten one of the belt wire reels and just roll it up on that for the season. Just pull out needed length and go.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91