Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Should I paint or die my conis and coyote foothold #7320166
08/02/21 09:03 PM
08/02/21 09:03 PM
Beadle county South Dakota-13 ...
F
farmkid2021 Offline OP
trapper
farmkid2021  Offline OP
trapper
F

Beadle county South Dakota-13 ...
I'm boiling and preping my trap for the coming traping season and was wondering what work best for each style of trap

Re: Should I paint or die my conis and coyote foothold [Re: farmkid2021] #7320365
08/03/21 12:30 AM
08/03/21 12:30 AM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
So for conibears and water footholds I just paint them with flat earth tone spray paint and let them air out outside.

For coyote traps I just clean them by boiling and then while the traps are in the water I stick the hose in and let the pot overflow so that all the junk floating on top spills out, and then wax them. No need to paint or dye them, they’ll be buried anyways.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Should I paint or die my conis and coyote foothold [Re: farmkid2021] #7320380
08/03/21 01:52 AM
08/03/21 01:52 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
As Bob mentioned I'd run some steel wool over any rusty spots on the body grip traps then spray paint them now so the heat bakes the paint into the steel a bit better. I stop painting at the rings on the springs then try not to get to much spray paint on the triggers if they need to be adjusted a chainsaw file works wonders .

As for traps boil them first over flowing the pot after removing from the heat source , then dye and wax . I'm old school ha ha
For snares boil them in baking soda and well water or any without chlorine .

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91