Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Music wire or four coil #7338021
08/23/21 10:43 PM
08/23/21 10:43 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline OP
trapper
robert.d12  Offline OP
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
I have some #2 victor coils that are getting a little weak for NY winter trapping. I was planning on putting four coil kits on them, but I saw that it’d be cheaper to just replace the springs. I’m thinking with music wire ones. Any reason I should four coil instead? The traps are pretty much stock, no base plates or anything.

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Music wire or four coil [Re: robert.d12] #7338099
08/24/21 01:11 AM
08/24/21 01:11 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
New springs should be plenty IMO, no need to 4 coil such small traps. 4-coiling is really just for helping bust up through a thick crust of dirt and you can't cover a #2 trap with that much dirt or you'll not have enough jaw above ground when sprung to get much of a hold on the critters. Once a trap is closed the levers locking up keep the jaws from opening, super strong spring strength isn't needed.

Re: Music wire or four coil [Re: ~ADC~] #7338617
08/24/21 05:48 PM
08/24/21 05:48 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
New springs should be plenty IMO, no need to 4 coil such small traps. 4-coiling is really just for helping bust up through a thick crust of dirt and you can't cover a #2 trap with that much dirt or you'll not have enough jaw above ground when sprung to get much of a hold on the critters. Once a trap is closed the levers locking up keep the jaws from opening, super strong spring strength isn't needed.

This! No real need for oversized springs either. Stock springs are usually cheaper and are plenty strong.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91