Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Wild Turkey? #7347316
09/03/21 10:54 PM
09/03/21 10:54 PM
Wisconsin
A
Average Joe Offline OP
trapper
Average Joe  Offline OP
trapper
A

Wisconsin
The bird, not the drink.
Long time reader, first time poster.
I had a freezer conk out this summer, left me with some wild turkey meat that is unsafe for human consumption.
I’m in the process of turning it into a bait base - some as is, some as is with Dobbins bait solution, some currently festering and will add Dobbins solution later.
Seems like a “no brainer” bait for coyote & fox but in reviewing numerous posts and archives I’m not finding anything about turkey for bait. Is this a decent idea or am I missing something? Obviously I’d rather have eaten it myself, but in this case I’m trying to make lemonade from my lemons.
Thanks for any and all advice.

I’ve been sayin yes sir all day at work, I’ve been sayin yes ma’am at home…
Re: Wild Turkey? [Re: Average Joe] #7347644
09/04/21 11:40 AM
09/04/21 11:40 AM
Alaska/Washington
D
Dragger Offline
trapper
Dragger  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska/Washington
I was out calling once and this coyote came in from the left side and jumped up on a stump. Not once did he even look my way while I was blowing the call. I looked to the right and saw a half a dozen turkeys.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they like turkeys! lol

Easiest shot ever I had at a coyote and I missed.

Give an illegal alien a fish and he eats for a day. Deport him and you never have to feed him ever again!
Re: Wild Turkey? [Re: Average Joe] #7347795
09/04/21 03:46 PM
09/04/21 03:46 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
My opinion is just cause a coyote eats it doesn't make it a great base compared to other bases. Some just have more attraction than others. Testing the base by itself against other bases especially bases you have found that have really good attraction is the only way to know how good it is. With that said you could take any good bait solution like Dobbins and mix with something that doesn't have any attraction like cattail fluff and still have a good attractor. I do prefer a base that adds as much attraction to the formulation as I can find and isn't just a filler in it. My guess (because I've never tested it) is that turkey meat wouldn't test to great compared to some others.

Re: Wild Turkey? [Re: Yes sir] #7347956
09/04/21 08:24 PM
09/04/21 08:24 PM
Wisconsin
A
Average Joe Offline OP
trapper
Average Joe  Offline OP
trapper
A

Wisconsin
From post above ^^^^. “My guess (because I've never tested it) is that turkey meat wouldn't test to great compared to some others.”

You may very well be correct, but I’m curious why you “guess” this while admitting to never have tried?
Certainly a coyote is more likely to eat a turkey then it is to eat a bobcat or beaver - a couple of the more traditional bases.
My thinking is match-the-hatch, or at least offer something different relative to traditional baits, maybe something not in every other dirt hole.
We shall see come fall, if nothing else it will be fun to learn.

My intent of posting this was to find out if anyone had good reason (experience) why turkey was a bad idea. For instance, I was surprised to learn in this forum that moles generally are NOT good bait.
Agreed it might not be the BEST, but seems like a viable option, change-up from the ordinary?

Re: Wild Turkey? [Re: Average Joe] #7347982
09/04/21 09:14 PM
09/04/21 09:14 PM
Alaska/Washington
D
Dragger Offline
trapper
Dragger  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska/Washington
I bait test on my property year round. The turkey entails and scraps in a hole I drilled were hit immediately. Chicken and rib bones sit for weeks sometimes.

For what it's worth.

Give an illegal alien a fish and he eats for a day. Deport him and you never have to feed him ever again!
Re: Wild Turkey? [Re: Average Joe] #7347996
09/04/21 09:32 PM
09/04/21 09:32 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
About 4 years and 100 hundreds of test holes is what I based my guess on.

I see alot of people on the internet making assumptions and guesses while setting on the couch thinking. I've tested bases that coyotes eat a lot of THINKING they would be good, more fail than pass.
You questioned my guess but turn around use the words" my thinking ", "we shall see" and " but seems".

I'm probably done sharing my experience playing with lures too many internet trappers that probably haven't put 10 test holes in the ground in their lives, catch 5 coyotes on a bait and think it's good and just want sunshine blown were its normally doesn't go.

One last thing the reason I started testing so much is because there wss plenty of advise you get on here that didn't add up and still didn't after testing. I'm sure you can find guys on here that will tell it will work great that never tested it and then you can be happy with that.

Still thankful for any and all advice

Re: Wild Turkey? [Re: Yes sir] #7348025
09/04/21 10:25 PM
09/04/21 10:25 PM
Wisconsin
A
Average Joe Offline OP
trapper
Average Joe  Offline OP
trapper
A

Wisconsin
But no holes with turkey, eh? So really you don’t know, just a guess.
In God we trust, everyone else must have data.

Seems I touched a nerve. Or did I stumble on your secret?

I admitted I was testing a theory, trying something different. I didn’t make any claims.

Re: Wild Turkey? [Re: Average Joe] #7350914
09/08/21 10:33 PM
09/08/21 10:33 PM
Wisconsin
A
Average Joe Offline OP
trapper
Average Joe  Offline OP
trapper
A

Wisconsin
Update:

The non-tainted turkey and venison with dobbins both smell “good” but are distinctly different. The venny has a hint of fish oil smell while the turkey has a gamey bird smell with some sweetness.
The stuff tainting went from gag-inducing to tolerable, will probably preserve this weekend.
Looking forward to putting it all to the test in a couple of months.

Side note - is it just me or does the Dobbins solution smell a little bit like Copenhagen? Not in a bad way. Almost looks like chew spit too. I chuckled to myself when I pictured Paul with a spittoon making this years batch.

Re: Wild Turkey? [Re: Average Joe] #7351227
09/09/21 10:45 AM
09/09/21 10:45 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
As a guy who chewed Copenhagen for years, nothing smells like Copenhagen in a bad way. That smell still gets the juices flowing in my mouth, so it ought to work on critters too wink

Re: Wild Turkey? [Re: Average Joe] #7351244
09/09/21 11:17 AM
09/09/21 11:17 AM
Northern Illinois
MuddyMike Offline
trapper
MuddyMike  Offline
trapper

Northern Illinois
X2 bearcat2 im still chewing the stuff though i need to and want to quit but dang nabit it sure it great nothing else like it! anyway carry on

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91