ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Voles #7373167
10/06/21 08:39 PM
10/06/21 08:39 PM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline OP
trapper
yukonal  Offline OP
trapper
Y

MN
Will they eat bird seed from under a bird feeder?

Re: Voles [Re: yukonal] #7373237
10/06/21 09:29 PM
10/06/21 09:29 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Not usually. They eat plant material mostly.

Re: Voles [Re: yukonal] #7373583
10/07/21 10:13 AM
10/07/21 10:13 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have them under my feeder most of the winter, then the shrews come to hunt the voles. You can feel the spongy area under the grass after a few weeks of feeding the birds if you get voles moving in to feed.

A lot of grain is spilled to the ground by the feeding birds. They rake the seed back and forth with their beaks causing much loss of feeder seed being spilled to the ground.

Some areas may not get this behavior but I do here in SW Pa.

As Jim stated voles are primarily grass, soft tubular and smooth bark feeders but grain is good if they can find a source for it. Grain is much more sustaining nutritiously in cold temp conditions..

Re: Voles [Re: yukonal] #7373802
10/07/21 03:22 PM
10/07/21 03:22 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Mice will go after the seed.

Re: Voles [Re: Bob Jameson] #7374083
10/07/21 10:45 PM
10/07/21 10:45 PM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline OP
trapper
yukonal  Offline OP
trapper
Y

MN
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
I have them under my feeder most of the winter, then the shrews come to hunt the voles. You can feel the spongy area under the grass after a few weeks of feeding the birds if you get voles moving in to feed.

A lot of grain is spilled to the ground by the feeding birds. They rake the seed back and forth with their beaks causing much loss of feeder seed being spilled to the ground.

Some areas may not get this behavior but I do here in SW Pa.

As Jim stated voles are primarily grass, soft tubular and smooth bark feeders but grain is good if they can find a source for it. Grain is much more sustaining nutritiously in cold temp conditions..

Well, that is what is going on under my feeder. The "picky" birds flip a ton of seed out until they get what they want. Underneath is mounded up like something is tunneling...but no immediate hole. And the grass around the bird seed is clipped pretty good.

The has been a vole hole about 15' away all summer. I've been messing with him, trying the small mole traps by the "gophernator" guy. Now I'm dialed in to the vole deal(I didn't realize it was 1 or more voles) and going to give 'em the rat traps covered with a down spout...lol

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread