Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Trap anchoring pole set #7378604
10/13/21 10:20 PM
10/13/21 10:20 PM
Up a creek MT
jnsff69 Offline OP
trapper
jnsff69  Offline OP
trapper

Up a creek MT
Have looked around and haven't been able to find a definite answer & maybe it's personal preference.. wondering how anybody connects / secures traps to a pole set for marten. I have seen wire wrapped around the big ring. I was wondering if has anybody tried or think a fence staple would work. I found some that are almost 3" long. And for the set trap is it just a couple wraps of wire around under the base plate? Thank you in advance.

Ya can't miss fur if yur traps are out somewhere.
Or so I've been told.
Re: Trap anchoring pole set [Re: jnsff69] #7378651
10/13/21 11:12 PM
10/13/21 11:12 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Go to wilderness trapping archives. You will find multiple marten threads. In fact, we spent MANY months putting together more information on the hows and whys on marten trapping than you are likely to find anywhere else.

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Trap anchoring pole set [Re: jnsff69] #7378652
10/13/21 11:14 PM
10/13/21 11:14 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Marten set tutorial
Start here..

Last edited by alaska viking; 10/13/21 11:16 PM.

Re: Trap anchoring pole set [Re: jnsff69] #7378658
10/13/21 11:18 PM
10/13/21 11:18 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

juneau, alaska
Well, can't paste the link. Troll toward the bottom of the forums list, and click on wilderness trapping archives. Should keep you pretty busy.

Re: Trap anchoring pole set [Re: jnsff69] #7379157
10/14/21 06:01 PM
10/14/21 06:01 PM
Up a creek MT
jnsff69 Offline OP
trapper
jnsff69  Offline OP
trapper

Up a creek MT
Thanks

Or so I've been told.
Re: Trap anchoring pole set [Re: jnsff69] #7385292
10/22/21 10:23 AM
10/22/21 10:23 AM
Up a creek MT
jnsff69 Offline OP
trapper
jnsff69  Offline OP
trapper

Up a creek MT
Read that. Didn't really discuss it. Looked at the pics & didn't really see to many options other that the coni's with a box. How bout foot holds?

Or so I've been told.
Re: Trap anchoring pole set [Re: jnsff69] #7385443
10/22/21 02:23 PM
10/22/21 02:23 PM
Alaska
S
Super Wide Offline
trapper
Super Wide  Offline
trapper
S

Alaska
Find a heavy spruce tree that stands out near water. Cut a low limb free of branches leaving only the clean brach sticking out. Nail your fence staple through the ring onto the tree. Use either a piece of heavy string to tie the trap to the tree branch, leaving the set trap at the end of the branch. You can use a half twist of light wire to do the same thing. Place a wing or attractant above and out of reach, so he has to stand on the foothold to get near the wing. Put some Gusto on the wing and remove the wing at the end of the season (bears) leaving the trap unset hanging off the branch. You can use bait under the branch and trap if you want. Lure on the wing will do the trick by itself if you are in good Marten country. I use this method a lot. Sometimes I use a box and this set right next to the box, double catches are common up here in Alaska.

This is just one way, there are others. You can make these or use a running pole wired/nailed to the side of the big spruce tree to keep the snow off and trap working. Bait I like is duck carcasses, salmon heads, beaver, muskrats, duck and goose heads, wings with lure, fur with lure. Some guys like cd's on fishing line, some even add a swivel to the line and cd's to help it spin in the wind. Yellow, Pink and Red Surveyor's ribbon works okay, but is easy for humans to spot. You can even use a bracket and put them on the side of the tree and nail some bait above the trap. Lot's of methods, just have to find one that works for you and is legal in your area.

You can use a cubby made from stuff around the tree, you can use a box with the foothold inside, you can use double ended boxes with a trap at each end, lot's of ways to catch marten with footholds. Keep them off the ground and let them swing free in the air to keep the other animals and mice off of them is a must. Don't put sets on the ground, something will eat your marten for sure. Use #0 longsprings, #1 coil or longsprings, up to a #1 1/2 coil or longsprings at most. I use #0's and #1's, my 1 1/2 are too big for my liking. Good luck!

My Super Wide will pull your broken down 4 stroke, up a hill backwards, with you on it!
Re: Trap anchoring pole set [Re: jnsff69] #7387062
10/24/21 02:37 PM
10/24/21 02:37 PM
Up a creek MT
jnsff69 Offline OP
trapper
jnsff69  Offline OP
trapper

Up a creek MT
Thank you

Or so I've been told.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91