Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Heavy duty warm outerwear #7380980
10/17/21 10:56 AM
10/17/21 10:56 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline OP
trapper
otterman  Offline OP
trapper

SW Alaska
I just got back from my annual 3-5 days of beaver trapping up on the river while I was up I blew the Zipper on my coat and as the week wore on it became apparent that it is time for some new outer gear both insulated overalls and coat. I prefer two layers on the coat with both the inner and outer capable of holding up to the riggers of handling traps all winter long without ripping I have always used Cabelas coats they no longer make a two layer coat and quite frankly since Bass Pro took them over their stuff has gone to crap so am looking for suggestions I want goretex and It need to keep me warm down to 0-10 below or colder and price isn’t a huge issue

Last edited by otterman; 10/17/21 10:58 AM.

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Heavy duty warm outerwear [Re: otterman] #7381041
10/17/21 12:31 PM
10/17/21 12:31 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I've never found a coat like you describe that I like. I wear a Filson wool mackinaw and either a down or synthetic puffy snowmobile coat over it. The outer coat usually comes from a thrift store and so I can't tell you the brand. But they keep the wind and water off while riding and the Filson is less bulky and warm enough when I get off and am doing something physical, also it might get heavy but it takes a heck of a lot of water to soak through it, even in the rain I am very seldom wet under it at the end of the day. Filson's are tough and last forever, I have two, one is pretty much worn out and patched together, but it was a hand-me-down that is as old or older than I am.

For pants I highly recommend these faller pants https://www.labonville.com/Insulated-Black-Nylon-Pants-W-Snaps-WN600P-SOLD-OUT-FOR-SEASON_p_73.html Tough, not bulky, and while not one hundred percent waterproof they are very water resistant, the snow doesn't stick to them, and they stop all the wind.

I have temperatures similar to you, getting down to -20 or -25 very rarely, but 20 above to 10 below being the norms with some warmups to above freezing and wet conditions.

Re: Heavy duty warm outerwear [Re: otterman] #7381386
10/17/21 09:29 PM
10/17/21 09:29 PM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline OP
trapper
otterman  Offline OP
trapper

SW Alaska
Bearcat I have looked at the Filson 3 layer coat on line wish there was a Filson store in Anchorage so I could really look at one

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Re: Heavy duty warm outerwear [Re: otterman] #7381453
10/17/21 11:11 PM
10/17/21 11:11 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
Striker Ice is what I've got and am happy. They're supposed to be water proof, but I've never tested it. They're windproof, and danged warm, and feel pretty tough, but they're not a double coat like you're talking about. I like'em alot.

Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.
Re: Heavy duty warm outerwear [Re: otterman] #7381767
10/18/21 10:51 AM
10/18/21 10:51 AM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline OP
trapper
otterman  Offline OP
trapper

SW Alaska
Thanks Temple it doesn’t have to be a double coat I just tend to wear a top layer and shed it when working at sets

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman