No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... #7386913
10/24/21 11:36 AM
10/24/21 11:36 AM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline OP
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline OP
trapper

NY
Kellogg’s faces $5 million lawsuit for not having enough strawberries in its Pop-Tarts crazy

Kellogg’s strawberry-flavored Pop-Tarts need more strawberries, according to a lawsuit filed against the company in August.

A class-action lawsuit, filed by Anita Harris in the Southern District of Illinois, argues that the Kellogg Sales Company is misleading consumers by promoting the breakfast pastry’s strawberry filling in its labels and marketing, giving an impression that the fruit filling contains "a greater relative and absolute amount of strawberries than it does.”

In reality, the company’s “Frosted Strawberry Toaster Pastries” contain 2% or less of “dried strawberries, dried pears, dried apples” and “red 40,” according to its nutrition label.

Harris claims the Pop-Tarts “cannot provide a true strawberry taste” since it is overwhelmed by “significant amounts” of pears and apples, and says the red food coloring gives consumers “the false impression” that the pastries contain more strawberries.

The lawsuit said if Harris had known the truth, she would not have bought the Pop-Tarts.

“Whether a toaster pastry contains only strawberries or merely some strawberries ... is basic front label information consumers rely on when making quick decisions at the grocery store,” the lawsuit reads. “Strawberries are the Product’s characterizing ingredient ... (consumers) believe they are present in an amount greater than is the case."

The lawsuit compares Kellogg’s product to similar toaster pastries from other brands like Walmart’s Great Value and Dollar Tree’s Clover Valley. The competitors also offer “frosted strawberry” pastries but note that they are “Naturally & Artificially Flavored,” according to the lawsuit.

Kellogg’s did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The lawsuit goes on to cite the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act, which says deceptive acts such as “false pretense, false promise, misrepresentation or the concealment, suppression or omission of any material fact” is unlawful.

Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: Canvasback2] #7386924
10/24/21 11:57 AM
10/24/21 11:57 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
I remember my grandpa always sayin "How stupid can you get?" I didn't realize it would turn into a contest at the time.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: Canvasback2] #7386968
10/24/21 12:58 PM
10/24/21 12:58 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
What would we do without lawyers?? I hope she gets her 75 cents back.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: Canvasback2] #7386995
10/24/21 01:35 PM
10/24/21 01:35 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
I'm not crazy about lawyers but I'm also not crazy about companies misleading marketing. Maybe they should be called glucose tarts.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: Canvasback2] #7387000
10/24/21 01:39 PM
10/24/21 01:39 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Kellogg’s faces $5 million lawsuit for not having enough strawberries in its Pop-Tarts crazy

Kellogg’s strawberry-flavored Pop-Tarts need more strawberries, according to a lawsuit filed against the company in August.

A class-action lawsuit, filed by Anita Harris in the Southern District of Illinois, argues that the Kellogg Sales Company is misleading consumers by promoting the breakfast pastry’s strawberry filling in its labels and marketing, giving an impression that the fruit filling contains "a greater relative and absolute amount of strawberries than it does.”

In reality, the company’s “Frosted Strawberry Toaster Pastries” contain 2% or less of “dried strawberries, dried pears, dried apples” and “red 40,” according to its nutrition label.

Harris claims the Pop-Tarts “cannot provide a true strawberry taste” since it is overwhelmed by “significant amounts” of pears and apples, and says the red food coloring gives consumers “the false impression” that the pastries contain more strawberries.

The lawsuit said if Harris had known the truth, she would not have bought the Pop-Tarts.

“Whether a toaster pastry contains only strawberries or merely some strawberries ... is basic front label information consumers rely on when making quick decisions at the grocery store,” the lawsuit reads. “Strawberries are the Product’s characterizing ingredient ... (consumers) believe they are present in an amount greater than is the case."

The lawsuit compares Kellogg’s product to similar toaster pastries from other brands like Walmart’s Great Value and Dollar Tree’s Clover Valley. The competitors also offer “frosted strawberry” pastries but note that they are “Naturally & Artificially Flavored,” according to the lawsuit.

Kellogg’s did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The lawsuit goes on to cite the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act, which says deceptive acts such as “false pretense, false promise, misrepresentation or the concealment, suppression or omission of any material fact” is unlawful.

We apparently have no real problems in this country.

Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: FairbanksLS] #7387009
10/24/21 01:46 PM
10/24/21 01:46 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by white dog
I'm not crazy about lawyers but I'm also not crazy about companies misleading marketing. Maybe they should be called glucose tarts.

There are labels for picky consumers. At what point is it the responsibility of the consumer to read it??? The labels there she didn't read it then calls foul. Hogwash

Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: Canvasback2] #7387015
10/24/21 01:55 PM
10/24/21 01:55 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
As long as Kellogg's is labeling them as "strawberry flavored" pop tarts I don't think the law suit has much merit.
I do think however that food manufacturers should be more honest with their labeling, and their feet should be held to the fire more often in this regard.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: Canvasback2] #7387023
10/24/21 02:05 PM
10/24/21 02:05 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
, giving an impression that the fruit filling contains "a greater relative and absolute amount of strawberries than it does.”

In reality, the company’s “Frosted Strawberry Toaster Pastries” contain 2% or less of “dried strawberries, dried pears, dried apples” and “red 40,” according to its nutrition lable.

Its on the box . Its intended to get a settelment. Lawyer will get paid a little and the box will get changed they wont get near 5 mill but thats the point. Cheaper than running through court

Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: Canvasback2] #7387028
10/24/21 02:12 PM
10/24/21 02:12 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Wonder if she is related to Camel toe.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: Canvasback2] #7387054
10/24/21 02:30 PM
10/24/21 02:30 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I'm betting on It.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: Canvasback2] #7387060
10/24/21 02:35 PM
10/24/21 02:35 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
this is an excursive in how can a lawyer make money why set up any possible class action law suit possible

get lots of people to sign on now you have 700,000 plaintiffs the pay out might be 3 million dollars but the plaintiffs will see 1 dollar and the lawyer makes a years salary or more from it bills every minute , reads the brief 3 times a day slowly and bills for every minute of that time .

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: Canvasback2] #7387065
10/24/21 02:42 PM
10/24/21 02:42 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
I've always been of the belief of, if you bring a frivolous lawsuit against someone and lose, you pay them the amount you were seeking from them.

This would eliminate 99% of this bs.

Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: FairbanksLS] #7387173
10/24/21 04:41 PM
10/24/21 04:41 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Originally Posted by white dog

People that are not smart enough to realize that pop tarts are not at the top of nutritional list aren’t very observant.

People are always victims. They always want something for nothing.

Just don’t buy them if you don’t like them.

Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7387287
10/24/21 07:29 PM
10/24/21 07:29 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
this is an excursive in how can a lawyer make money why set up any possible class action law suit possible

get lots of people to sign on now you have 700,000 plaintiffs the pay out might be 3 million dollars but the plaintiffs will see 1 dollar and the lawyer makes a years salary or more from it bills every minute , reads the brief 3 times a day slowly and bills for every minute of that time .

Actually if the lawyer doesn’t make enough to cover his bills or what he claims are his bills those that have signed onto the lawsuit can be held accountable for the uncovered portion, even if they win if it’s not enough then cover the lawyers bills it’s divided among the plaintiffs and their stuck with it, as the lawyers would say be sure to check out the fine print

Some of those suites are designed t make the lawyers money win or lose

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Does this Lawsuit pass the Taste Test... [Re: Canvasback2] #7387290
10/24/21 07:35 PM
10/24/21 07:35 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Some flavorings are artificial and legal.
Personally, I liked the old dancing cigarettes commercials. "Tast me Taste me..c'mon and taste me"

Last edited by Gary Benson; 10/24/21 07:35 PM.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread