ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Skunk- dead skunks &...... #738297
05/31/08 10:50 AM
05/31/08 10:50 AM

C
CHICKEN OP
Unregistered
CHICKEN OP
Unregistered
C

I did a job last night on the street below me. I found a dead skunk in the yard wictch I believe sprayed the dog in question. the skunk had alittle one with it and the dog played and I believe killed it..could not find it. The landowner said the skunk was acting weird all day "drunk like" well I know what this means..I told them to get the dog to the vet in case it might have gotten bitten by the skunk..wil distemper travel in to dogs????

Re: dead skunks &...... [Re: ] #738885
05/31/08 08:00 PM
05/31/08 08:00 PM
Texas (North)
Boomhawr Offline
trapper
Boomhawr  Offline
trapper

Texas (North)
I know your supposed to get dogs vacsinated (sp) for distemper. It's done along with parvo with a parvo distemper combo vacsine like 7 way. Eather your vet can do it, or you can do it yourself. Got my dogs 7 way from Tractor Supply, but I've seen it other places to. So, I would "ASSUME" they can get it from a skunk, but don't know for sure. Just know that dogs CAN get it.

Skunk 1 (in a bag)
Coyote 1
Possum 1
Barn Rat 1
Re: dead skunks &...... [Re: Boomhawr] #738893
05/31/08 08:10 PM
05/31/08 08:10 PM
Texas (North)
Boomhawr Offline
trapper
Boomhawr  Offline
trapper

Texas (North)

Skunk 1 (in a bag)
Coyote 1
Possum 1
Barn Rat 1
Re: dead skunks &...... [Re: ] #738902
05/31/08 08:19 PM
05/31/08 08:19 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

CHICKEN-
If that happened around here, I would have had the skunk tested for rabies! If the body is still available, it should be tested. A veterinarian must be contacted for information on your state protocol for potential rabies exposure of a domestic animal (dog).

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: dead skunks &...... [Re: LAtrapper] #740837
06/02/08 03:16 PM
06/02/08 03:16 PM

C
CHICKEN OP
Unregistered
CHICKEN OP
Unregistered
C

landowner called the vet,dec,and animal control,dog warden...nobody wanted to know nothing..I dug a big hole burned & barried it

Re: dead skunks &...... [Re: ] #740903
06/02/08 04:23 PM
06/02/08 04:23 PM
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

I have found that many medical doctors and some veterinarians in Alabama are not aware of the State protocol for potential rabies exposure of both persons and animals.

Last edited by tmrschessie; 11/09/12 10:54 AM. Reason: non working link

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: dead skunks &...... [Re: LAtrapper] #741185
06/02/08 08:12 PM
06/02/08 08:12 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Ron, thank's for the link,very informative and useful site to use for reference. The correct people to contact would have been the Onondaga County Animal Disease Prevention Office, at 435-3165 on Molloy Road, in East Syracuse. If the dog was up to date on the rabies vaccine,they would have recommended them to their Vet, for a booster shot. The skunk would have needed to be frozen, or refrigerated, until it could be delivered to them,and sent to Albany for rabies testing. The skunk's are dying left and right around here,most that are tested have come back negative for rabies,leaving distemper as the most likely disease affecting them. It started in the fall of 2006, when we started getting an unusual amount of call's for dead and dying skunk's. We knew something was up, as there was a peak in the population in the spring of 2006, I did 3 times my normal number of skunks during the breeding season. In the spring of 2007, I crashed to a meager 48 during the breeding season,with an increase in 2008 to just 65. I have kept tab's for many years, and count the breeding season as Jan 1st. to March 31st. to track the numbers. The total number taken include's both dead and live trapped animal's. We are still getting numerous call's weekly for sick animal's, and just this week we took a nursing female that was dead, and still had 8 juveniles trying to nurse off her. I don't know if following the pattern amount's to much,but I have alway's found it interesting, and tried to see just how many skunk's I could handle in those 3 month's. I am curious to see if other operator's in different states have seen cycle's such as this, and how long they lasted before the population began to rebound.

Re: dead skunks &...... [Re: Albert Burns] #741324
06/02/08 09:43 PM
06/02/08 09:43 PM
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Originally Posted By: Albert Burns
---The skunk's are dying left and right around here,most that are tested have come back negative for rabies,leaving distemper as the most likely disease affecting them.---

Albert-
Thanks for the reply. It is the "---most that are tested have come back negative for rabies---" that bothers me. Around here, most of the animals submitted for testing (over 95 percent) come back negative for rabies. And these are animals that have either had contact with domestic animals or persons. It is that other very small percentage that can put us in liability if we don't follow our state protocol for the reporting of potential exposures. Fox, bats, and raccoons seem to be the main carriers of the virus locally. We have very few skunks around here.

Ron Fry

Re: dead skunks &...... [Re: LAtrapper] #741344
06/02/08 09:58 PM
06/02/08 09:58 PM
Southeatern CT.
J
jeff gilger Offline
trapper
jeff gilger  Offline
trapper
J

Southeatern CT.
Last year I had a raccoon wander into my backyard and attack my golden. I took her to the vet right away and the vet gave her a booster shot. He said thats all she needed.

Re: dead skunks &...... [Re: LAtrapper] #741440
06/02/08 10:50 PM
06/02/08 10:50 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Ron, I deal with the health dept. weekly,and like you, will alway's contact them, and let them decide the disposition of the animal in question. That is what they get paid for,and it is also our local county protocol,I am a firm believer in C.Y.A. taking it for granted every animal handled potentially has rabies,because it may. I think there is quite a difference in following county and state guidelines, and protocol's, when you are doing this type of work part time,as compared to when you do it every day of the year to earn a living. We have entirely too much to lose, by not following the regulations and requirements. Our customer's put their trust in us,and in our experience to follow proper protocol's that are in place to safeguard themselve's and their families. It is my responsibility to know what they are and to follow them.
We have had rabies locally now for better than 10 year's. First it came through and hit the Raccoons hard, we went a few year's with almost no Raccoon call's. Now they are coming back. The worst problem we see as far as a very real rabies threat,with the potential for people to get hurt,is with our Grey Fox population.There are a couple hot-spot's locally where multiple homeowner's have been attacked . They are very non-selective, and extremely aggressive,biting anyone they come in contact with. Last year I had one attack a small child in a swimming pool,the neighbor killed it with a shovel. It was sent out and came back positive for rabies,but was also a lactating female. The health dept. wanted to see if we could find the den and destroy the litter. We never did find the juveniles,and suspected the adult may have killed them also. It has slowed down lately,but you alway's have to stay on your toes. I don't turn my back on anything. The only thing predictable about wild animal's is that they are unpredictable.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper