Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Brown Bear Taxidermy Tan #7401481
11/10/21 03:26 PM
11/10/21 03:26 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
Wolverine Hunter Offline OP
trapper
Wolverine Hunter  Offline OP
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Thinking of sending to Moyles. Lots of $$ for shipping.

Any recommendations closer to home (Homer, KP, Anchorage)?

Re: Brown Bear Taxidermy Tan [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #7401519
11/10/21 04:33 PM
11/10/21 04:33 PM
AK
bfisch Offline
trapper
bfisch  Offline
trapper

AK
I just sent a black bear to Moyles. We'll see how it turns out. I have been happy with all their other work on furbearers.

Re: Brown Bear Taxidermy Tan [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #7401541
11/10/21 05:17 PM
11/10/21 05:17 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
Moyles did one for me, and New Method did the other. Shipping was expensive on both.
The large, (9'-plus) bear I salted, scraped, repeat, until almost dry, but plyable. I had to use a box from a dishwasher, and sent it surface. Was still a couple hundred. That was about 5 years ago.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Brown Bear Taxidermy Tan [Re: alaska viking] #7401564
11/10/21 06:10 PM
11/10/21 06:10 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
I sent an email and finally heard back from them. Yes - they want it dried. I need to scrape it and salt it again no matter what. It's probably going to cost me a few hundred each way unless there is something between me and Anchorage that is reputable.

Re: Brown Bear Taxidermy Tan [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #7401582
11/10/21 06:44 PM
11/10/21 06:44 PM
Alaska
S
Super Wide Offline
trapper
Super Wide  Offline
trapper
S

Alaska
There is a tannery in Anchorage called Arctic Fox. I have used them for bears, wolverine and beaver. They are hard working guys and do a good job. It used to be called Alpha tanning but it has changed owners.

I have sent to Moyles and that is the best tanning I have ever had on beavers. The bears I sent to Moyles are very close to the same quality that I get at Arctic Fox, but no shipping charges. For my money on bears, I keep them in Anchorage. I just picked up my bear, wolverine and beavers and I will go back to them, good price and no shipping.

Moyles can't be beat on quality but they are very expensive, your choice, now you have an option.

My Super Wide will pull your broken down 4 stroke, up a hill backwards, with you on it!
Re: Brown Bear Taxidermy Tan [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #7401696
11/10/21 08:32 PM
11/10/21 08:32 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
Of the many black bears I've shipped, a couple went to New Method, one to Sitka Tribal Tannery, and the rest, (maybe 15, or so), went to Moyles.
Moyles is is the best, by far, and I will NEVER use Sitka, again. Ever.

Last edited by alaska viking; 11/10/21 08:33 PM.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Brown Bear Taxidermy Tan [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #7403963
11/13/21 01:00 PM
11/13/21 01:00 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Superwide could you explain in some detail the difference in quality between a Moyle tanned beaver and the Arctic Fox tanned ones? Shipping costs are killing me.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Brown Bear Taxidermy Tan [Re: Super Wide] #7405852
11/15/21 05:37 PM
11/15/21 05:37 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
trapper
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
Originally Posted by Super Wide
There is a tannery in Anchorage called Arctic Fox. I have used them for bears, wolverine and beaver. They are hard working guys and do a good job. It used to be called Alpha tanning but it has changed owners.

I have sent to Moyles and that is the best tanning I have ever had on beavers. The bears I sent to Moyles are very close to the same quality that I get at Arctic Fox, but no shipping charges. For my money on bears, I keep them in Anchorage. I just picked up my bear, wolverine and beavers and I will go back to them, good price and no shipping.

Moyles can't be beat on quality but they are very expensive, your choice, now you have an option.

Super Wide let me ask you this. If you were 56 years old, had a bunch of near-death experiences under your belt, went and shot a brown bear on Kodiak Island, and realize it very well might be a once-in-a-lifetime experience - would you still ship it to Arctic Fox? You can PM me if you want...

Re: Brown Bear Taxidermy Tan [Re: Wolverine Hunter] #7406947
11/16/21 07:56 PM
11/16/21 07:56 PM
Alaska
S
Super Wide Offline
trapper
Super Wide  Offline
trapper
S

Alaska
To the OP Wolverine Hunter, No, I would not tan in Anchorage if it was a once in a lifetime project. I would send it to Moyles Mink and Tannery.

To answer Dirt's question. The tanning is very good, but if I were to make some very special clothing I would want Moyles to tan those. Arctic Fox does a good job, but Moyles pelts are more supple, I think thinner, so more time on the round knife I believe. Arctic Fox pelts are a little stiffer than Moyles, but a heck of a lot less in money. If it's just for wall hangers or taxidermy Arctic Fox will be fine for me. If it's a once in a lifetime project, it's Moyles for that stuff. That's my opinion and experience. If I'm making beaver rugs, then I like them a little stiffer anyways, so I will save time and money and keep them here in Alaska. They have tanned beaver, wolverine, black and brown bears, marten, ermine and such for me and I will continue to use them. The smaller animals like Marten and Mink, there doesn't seem to be a difference. In the end I think Moyles does a little more time on the round knife and thins the pelts down a little more. The oil in the pelts are about the same in my experience. Hope this answers the question.

My Super Wide will pull your broken down 4 stroke, up a hill backwards, with you on it!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman