No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419482
12/01/21 02:45 PM
12/01/21 02:45 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Coon our home has guns open and everyone knows not to touch them unless being used for practice or hunting. I was raised this way our children and grandchildren. Locking guns up to protect us from each other or others is foreign to us. It also makes no sense.

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419499
12/01/21 02:58 PM
12/01/21 02:58 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

Yote, it was completely okay. I was 18 years old and bought those guns myself. I was not a kid raiding my parents gun safe. I still don't know the combination to my dads gun safe, and if I asked he would tell me to go get my own (fill in the blank) gun

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419502
12/01/21 03:02 PM
12/01/21 03:02 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

I'm not trying to say kids shouldn't be allowed to shoot guns. Kids should be raised around guns and taught gun safety and allowed to hunt with guns whenever they want to. I think that is a fundamental part of raising a kid correctly.

You wouldn't have put that 30-06 that was over your bed in your backpack and went to school. Different type of weapon. At least have the handguns out of reach of kids

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: coondagger2] #7419515
12/01/21 03:13 PM
12/01/21 03:13 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by coondagger2
I'm not trying to say kids shouldn't be allowed to shoot guns. Kids should be raised around guns and taught gun safety and allowed to hunt with guns whenever they want to. I think that is a fundamental part of raising a kid correctly.

You wouldn't have put that 30-06 that was over your bed in your backpack and went to school. Different type of weapon. At least have the handguns out of reach of kids

I guess we'll just have to disagree. My grandfather kept his .22 pistol (clip full but empty chamber) under his mattress and I was aware of that from the time I was 5 years old. (They lived next door to me and I spent more time there than at home). My grandfather told me never to touch it... and shocker.... I never touched it! I was somewhat fascinated by guns and so was always pestering him to take me outside to shoot one. I guess he got tired of that and gave me a .22 rifle when I was 8 or 9, which was the first gun to go in my rack. The only rule was I had to let someone know I was taking it outside to shoot or hunt with before going.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: yotetrapper30] #7419519
12/01/21 03:18 PM
12/01/21 03:18 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

I guess we'll just have to disagree. My grandfather kept his .22 pistol (clip full but empty chamber) under his mattress and I was aware of that from the time I was 5 years old. (They lived next door to me and I spent more time there than at home). My grandfather told me never to touch it... and shocker.... I never touched it! I was somewhat fascinated by guns and so was always pestering him to take me outside to shoot one. I guess he got tired of that and gave me a .22 rifle when I was 8 or 9, which was the first gun to go in my rack. The only rule was I had to let someone know I was taking it outside to shoot or hunt with before going.

It was the same way for me growing up. I let dad know I wanted to go hunting and the rifle appeared. Have fun be safe. We also never owned a hand gun growing up. First pistol in the family was a 22 revolver I bought for trapping. Dad still doesn't have one. Just deer rifles and shotguns. Just never had any use for them I guess

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419533
12/01/21 03:42 PM
12/01/21 03:42 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
when my little brother was starting to have more friends over , he was 7 years younger and we were getting more guns my dad bought a safe I helped him install it when I was in high school I knew the combination.

I went out hunting before and after school and never an issue take my gun(s) when ever I wanted it

I had moved out and am away at college my dad calls me one morning (back before cell phones we called at 6am when we wanted to get ahold of someone) a few weeks before deer season , I had to give him the combination to the safe

when I was about 13 we got our first handgun , I had access to it also

I also had a broken 38 my dad bought for me to work on , I got it working and had ammo for it

I had the access , most of us had the access the farm I worked on the owner kept a berretta 9mm in his desk drawer at one time when I was about 16 he asked me , he did I loan you my berretta for something ? nope just your AK and I brought that back. he found it a few days later he had switched drawers and it got covered in papers .

the teasing and harassments was there , had a guy light my pants on fire in Auto shop yes intentionally had someone pull my valve stems on my truck , in the rain and mud I parked in the auxiliary lot not the paved one.

many kids take their own life the a-holes in this world should be really glad only a very few break the other direction talking other peoples lives

my youngest takes considerable harassments , very out spoken in their beliefs , they need us to show them that this is temporary school is short , there are all sorts of anti bullying rules , the a-holes figure out how to use those any bullying measures against the people they harass daily.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419537
12/01/21 03:51 PM
12/01/21 03:51 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline OP
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Offline OP
Don't call me Mister, Mister

Central Pennsylvania
Coondagger2 said, "No. It's common sense. Kids should not have free reign over the gun safe.

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking this way."

Yotetrapper30 said, "You are, imo. I had my own guns in a gun rack over my bed from the time I was 9 years old on. Kids need to be taught, but once they are, there should be no need whatsoever to lock up guns."

Maybe if the gun would have been secured there would be 4 sets of parents that would still be able to welcome their kids home from school each day. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I however would not say Coondagger is crazy for his opinion.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419558
12/01/21 04:34 PM
12/01/21 04:34 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
I am not saying he is cray, but I do disagree with him. Times have also changed, a lot. We had and have guns all over the house. Kids are taught not to touch.

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Bear Tracker] #7419566
12/01/21 04:50 PM
12/01/21 04:50 PM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Coon our home has guns open and everyone knows not to touch them unless being used for practice or hunting. I was raised this way our children and grandchildren. Locking guns up to protect us from each other or others is foreign to us. It also makes no sense.

Same as I was raised. Only reason a gun safe is needed is to stop thieves. Personally I want my children/grandchildren to have easy access to guns in case they have the need to defend themselves.

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419570
12/01/21 04:55 PM
12/01/21 04:55 PM
KY
ksp107 Offline
trapper
ksp107  Offline
trapper

KY
Lots of opinions on gun/ammo security, dont thing any of you are RIGHT or WRONG, valid points on both sides....

15 year old knows what he's doing... period....

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419573
12/01/21 04:57 PM
12/01/21 04:57 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

I don't think you all are getting my point. It's all good and well you were raised that way. That's great! This kid obviously was not raised that way. I was told I was ignorant for saying his parenting contributed to this. Then you all say that your parenting allowed guns to be out and about in your houses growing up. Do you see the contradiction....?

If this kid would have been taught by a parent or some guardian that guns were not toys and they were meant to be handled properly 4 families would still have their children. But I'm the ignorant one

He knew what he was doing and made the decision. So if you aren't going to teach him the rules of the roads with guns, at least lock them up. That's all I'm trying to say

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419583
12/01/21 05:08 PM
12/01/21 05:08 PM
Northern Illinois
MuddyMike Offline
trapper
MuddyMike  Offline
trapper

Northern Illinois
anytime there is a school shooting it is tragic. prayers for the entire community.

access to firearms-- i have to disagree as well but my kids have been raised around firearms their entire lives. they all know how to use them. they range in age from 9 to 17 and there are 6 of them. i keep a 9mm on my night stand wife sr22 on hers. there's a 12 ga in the dining room next to the rear sliding door as well as one in the garage. if something was ever to happen im not getting in a safe to grab a pistol or shotgun that could mean the difference between life and death for my family or animals. now anytime we have company over that have kids all guns go in the safe locked up tight. i can trust all my kids but i do not want it on my conscience if some other kid decides to pick one up and doesn't respect it. soon as the company leaves they go right back where they were.

yes everyone has their own opinion on the matter and none are wrong just difference of opinion is all. with that said id rather have immediate access to a gun then have to jump outta bed and open a safe.

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419585
12/01/21 05:10 PM
12/01/21 05:10 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Well my take is if you're a lousy parent then definitely lock up all the sharp pointy things and please lock your demon spaw... um child away so no one ever gets hurt. Don't ever let them leave the house or, God forbid, vote.

If on the other hand you take full responsibility for that roll in the hay then by all means store your tools as you see fit and raise Jr to equally responsible.

[Linked Image]
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Gary Benson] #7419595
12/01/21 05:18 PM
12/01/21 05:18 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Upstanding white youth?

I
White but I would not say upstanding.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/01/michigan-school-shooting-suspect-identified-as-ethan-crumbley/

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419597
12/01/21 05:20 PM
12/01/21 05:20 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Terrorism charge, tried as adult, social media shows planning and photos of the gun, dad bought gun 4 days prior.

Anyone smelling something with scales that lives in the river?

Anyone willing to go out on a limb and name a political affiliation?

But that just might be a backpack type remark you'll have to grovel for later.

[Linked Image]
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: ] #7419598
12/01/21 05:21 PM
12/01/21 05:21 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by J Staton
Originally Posted by Bear Tracker

Same as I was raised. Only reason a gun safe is needed is to stop thieves. Personally I want my children/grandchildren to have easy access to guns in case they have the need to defend themselves.

Agreed. I was raised alone with my mom after my parents divorced. My grandparents lived next door, but even at the young age of 10 or so I felt a great relief in having readily available guns should the need for them arise. Guns do no one any good locked up in a safe, may as well not own one.

I think a big difference between kids that are shooting other kids now versus ones that are not, is respect for their parents. I think all kids "know not to touch guns without permission" but the reason why some of them obey that command and some of them don't comes down to basic respect for their parents. For me it certainly wasn't fear of my parents, neither one ever rose a hand against me but I simply respected them as my parents and so, for the most part, obeyed them. That's as far as when I was a little kid, say 12 and under. By the time I was 15 years old, I was just smart enough to know that picking up a gun to harm someone was a REALLY bad idea.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419607
12/01/21 05:30 PM
12/01/21 05:30 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

"Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said Wednesday that her office is considering charges against both parents."

Interesting...

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419611
12/01/21 05:34 PM
12/01/21 05:34 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
I grew up with a gun in the house at all times .
I learned not to touch it .
I started shooting around 5 or 6 , 22 at first then a 20 ga shotgun .
I bought my first shotgun at 14 with my own hard earned money .
Even then , when I was with my first wife , my guns weren't locked up , kids were taught not to touch them as soon as they learned to walk .
Later in life , I built my own gun safe , and kept the guns locked up , at first so to help stop a thief .
Then when I had step sons , to keep them from getting into them unless I was with them .
Taught them same rules as all gun owners or users should know by heart and follow as a second nature .
Still kept them locked up because they always had friends over .
Now that I live alone I have one at hand at all times .
Too many have no knowledge of respect of others .
Too many are drugged out of their mind .
I don't care what people think of me , there are certain people I will never trust .

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: coondagger2] #7419614
12/01/21 05:36 PM
12/01/21 05:36 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
"Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said Wednesday that her office is considering charges against both parents."

Interesting...

Sounds as if the father may have knowingly allowed the boy to have the pistol, which is a violation of federal law.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7419630
12/01/21 05:57 PM
12/01/21 05:57 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
What a sad world we are living in.

I allowed my own son to have access to fire arms at an early age and if something had gone wrong I know I would have had liability but then I raised a boy who respects both firearms and human life.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread