Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Traditionally tanned bear help #7415195
11/26/21 02:33 PM
11/26/21 02:33 PM
Ontario
J
Johodamofo85 Offline OP
trapper
Johodamofo85  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ontario
Hey guys, brand new to the forum so thanks for having me!

So im up here in Iqaluit, Nunavut and just acquired a traditionally tanned polar bear hide. From what I understand, its been scraped, salted, stretched, brain tanned and smoked which has left the leather pretty hard. The fur is a little greasy still and slightly brown from being smoked and im curious if I'm able to soak it in water/dawn without damaging it? I don't think they pickle the hides up here so will I have to do that after I soak it? Any recommendations on what I can use to brush the grease out or anything better than dawn dish soap?

I'd also like to soften it after its cleaned and the idea is to just hang it on the wall after adding a felt backing. Should I look into tanning it again with a tanning kit after washing? Just not sure how traditionally tanned hides hold up over time or how the react when soaked again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks again for having me!

Re: Traditionally tanned bear help [Re: Johodamofo85] #7415778
11/27/21 09:33 AM
11/27/21 09:33 AM
Ontario
J
Johodamofo85 Offline OP
trapper
Johodamofo85  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ontario
Anything at all, im all ears!

Re: Traditionally tanned bear help [Re: Johodamofo85] #7416060
11/27/21 05:24 PM
11/27/21 05:24 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
The person that might be the most help is Boco. I’m surprised he hasn’t posted on this thread. He is in Canada and does a lot of his own tanning, etc. send him a PM and see if he can answer your questions.

My suggestion would be do NOT do anything until you get some professional advice. If you start doing stuff to that hide without guidance, you could very well end up with a big mess and ruining the hide.

Good Luck.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Traditionally tanned bear help [Re: wissmiss] #7416457
11/28/21 02:08 AM
11/28/21 02:08 AM
Ontario
J
Johodamofo85 Offline OP
trapper
Johodamofo85  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ontario
Awesome, I've PM'ed him. Thanks again!

Re: Traditionally tanned bear help [Re: Johodamofo85] #7417305
11/29/21 07:20 AM
11/29/21 07:20 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
I've never felt with a traditional tanned anything but from the sounds of it you need to break it down by running the leather side over a steel plate or a rope stretched between two trees .
Is what I've heard from the people who do something along the lines to break down and soften the hide .

Better yet why not ask the person who you got it from what you should do next .
A picture of the finished hide would be interesting to see .
Allan

Re: Traditionally tanned bear help [Re: Johodamofo85] #7417961
11/29/21 10:22 PM
11/29/21 10:22 PM
Ohio
Keith Daniels Offline
trapper
Keith Daniels  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Do you have access to tanning supplies where you are. Not orange bottle, krowtan etc, but products used by commercial dressers?

If you can get a good answer on what has actually been done to it, that would be a huge benefit because it will eliminate a lot of variables.

Basically the "brain tanning" process creates aldehydes as the brains break down, which will help preserve a skin. The problem you are going to run into with something that is very fatty is, if it was not degreased well, the natural fats left in the skin oxidize and turn into fatty acids. That is where your yellow color comes from, and it also is what is the biggest culprit in what people refer to as acid rot or hide rot. Polar bears are one of the worst fats there are for going rancid in a hurry, that's why you see so many with orange stained under fur.

If you cannot get a good answer on what was already done to it, try wetting a small spot to see if it will relax at all. You'll want to add about 1/4 lb. of salt per gallon of solution (you'll need to do the conversion) and preferably a good commercial relaxer. Check with taxidermy suppliers up there and see what your options are, you should be able to buy small quantities.

If it is going to relax, then you can proceed to soak and tan it properly, but the stain on the fur is going to be difficult to remove without bleaching at this point. If you have never handled anything like a bear before, you might want to talk to a commercial dresser up there and see if they will do it for you. We do a lot of salvage work here on skins that were attempted at home with any of the "quick and easy" methods and can usually get decent results.

I don't login here a lot, but will be glad to help talk you through it if you want.

Keith Daniels
Retired OSTA President as of 4:50 P M 9/12/20
Re: Traditionally tanned bear help [Re: Johodamofo85] #7423795
12/06/21 04:45 PM
12/06/21 04:45 PM
Buffalo, SD
Wanbli Offline
trapper
Wanbli  Offline
trapper

Buffalo, SD
I have worked with a lot of hides braintanning with both fur on and fur off over the years. If it was actually brained and then smoked well, getting it wet to wash it shouldn't be a problem at all. I would use Dove soap to help clean it because I've found that Dove soap is an excellent replacement for brains. Smoking the hides makes it so they will soften much easier after they get wet. So, after you wash it to help remove any fats (grease) still in the hair or hide, you will need to work it a little while it dries to help the leather be soft when it's completely dry. I would then smoke it again if I were you. Good luck.

"There is value in any experience that reminds us of our dependency on the soil-plant-animal-man food chain" Aldo Leopold
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread