General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Trapping BIG Predators [Re: martentrapper] #7425541
12/08/21 12:58 PM
12/08/21 12:58 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by martentrapper
Was 1971 the beginning of your career? How did you get the reputation that allowed you to be a private contractor? Was it risky working in Russia? Did you ever get stiffed by any foreign country that contracted you?
The private contracting side of wildlife management doesn't seem to be very common or at least well known of. I believe you were the area bio in McGrath for some years, correct? You retired from the state of Alaska?
Thanks for the pics and info. We are reading your book before it's published it appears.

Jack's new book that has been out now for a while covers all of this and more.

Re: Trapping BIG Predators [Re: Pawnee] #7425611
12/08/21 02:54 PM
12/08/21 02:54 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Pawnee
Gulo a short Bio would be great. Where did you grow up? What got you interested in trapping ?

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Life-Evolution-Misadventures-Naturalist-ebook/dp/B09CMD1NHX

[Linked Image]

Mean As Nails
Re: Trapping BIG Predators [Re: Gulo] #7425817
12/08/21 08:23 PM
12/08/21 08:23 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Today started with stories by Jack, sorta. Lunch time was a couple stories about Jack. These 2 were courtesy of Wayne Heimer. Probably a few more out there.
I’ll buy that book soon.

Re: Trapping BIG Predators [Re: Sharon] #7425853
12/08/21 08:51 PM
12/08/21 08:51 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Big thanks to Sharon and white17 for posting info about the book.

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Was 1971 the beginning of your career? How did you get the reputation that allowed you to be a private contractor? Was it risky working in Russia? Did you ever get stiffed by any foreign country that contracted you?
The private contracting side of wildlife management doesn't seem to be very common or at least well known of. I believe you were the area bio in McGrath for some years, correct? You retired from the state of Alaska?
Thanks for the pics and info. We are reading your book before it's published it appears.

martentrapper - Yes, 1971 was when I was first hired and actually paid (I think it was $300 per month).

I've been doing contract work periodically for many decades, To be accepted as a wildlife contractor, unfortunately, most agencies seem to want a whole list of peer-reviewed publications from noted journals. In my opinion, that publication history is looked upon as more important than work history, work ethic, past capture results, or other criteria that really mean something.

When I was living in Russia (1993 and 1994), and when I returned to hunt (up to 2001), I wouldn't consider it "risky". Difficult? Yes, unquestionably. The early years, just finding enough food was a tremendous hassle. Obtaining maps, for instance, was another pain, hassling with KGB, GRU, and Russian Mafia. Payola (for just about everything) was standard practice, but it was all above-board. I could easily fill a book with stories of constant bribery and payola situations, sometimes quite uncomfortable, and, in retrospect, somewhat scary. It was demanded by the US consulate in Vladivostok that I stay in constant contact with them. As it was quite impossible for me to do so (where I lived, there was only one telephone in the area), I got in trouble with the consulate folks when I told them that I really didn't want their "protection", so I was literally on my own.

I've never actually contracted with a foreign government. It's always been an American entity that I've worked for, so I've not been stiffed yet.

I've never actively pursued contracts to work overseas. The agencies doing the research (usually NGOs) have always initiated the contact. I've done a fair amount of consulting for foreign work where I didn't actually go to a foreign land and do work, but rather I've formulated detailed plans for them to do the actual work. Mostly, I've done this gratis, just trying to help out various wildlife populations.

Yes, I was the Area Management Biologist in McGrath (for GMUs 19 and 21A and 21E) for 13 years, and the AB for Unit 4 in Sitka for another 5 years. Prior to McGrath, I was a research biologist in Glennallen, and after 2003, I was back in the ressearch arena for ADF&G based in Fairbanks. I did indeed retire from ADF&G in 2008, and have been contracting for various outfits since that time, doing work in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and Mongolia.

Hope this answers most of your questions. Hit me if things aren't too clear.

Jack

Re: Trapping BIG Predators [Re: white17] #7425941
12/08/21 10:06 PM
12/08/21 10:06 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by Pawnee
Gulo a short Bio would be great. Where did you grow up? What got you interested in trapping ?

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Life-Evolution-Misadventures-Naturalist-ebook/dp/B09CMD1NHX

[Linked Image]

A good way to support our fellow trapper/biologist/friend Jack, is to leave some reviews on his life experiences in this book on the link provided that Sir Ken posted .

I thought it appropriate and did so today. In customer reviews there is a bar to click, to give yours .

Many people, myself included, decide their interest, seeing reviews of other reader's summery.

Many more need to be moved to enjoy the rye....er wry humor unique to this eclectic individual , as we all have cool

Re: Trapping BIG Predators [Re: Gulo] #7425955
12/08/21 10:18 PM
12/08/21 10:18 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
order sent, and thanks for the info on buying the book. Cant wait.....jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Trapping BIG Predators [Re: jk] #7425961
12/08/21 10:23 PM
12/08/21 10:23 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted by jk
order sent, and thanks for the info on buying the book. Cant wait.....jk

Same here I had forgotten about it. Thanks White and Sharon