Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
No lure coyote trapping #7433209
12/16/21 12:51 PM
12/16/21 12:51 PM
Communist State Of New York
Archeryguy Offline OP
trapper
Archeryguy  Offline OP
trapper

Communist State Of New York
Anyone have any experience with just using natural bait and possibly urine for coyotes? I've been considering the possibility of some lure spooking coyotes. By natural baits I mean local animal meat... deer, rabbit, woodchuck, etc.

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433261
12/16/21 02:08 PM
12/16/21 02:08 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Yes I think most predator trappers use this tactic ...like using droppings at certain sets instead of lure or even bait. Baits like you mentioned have worked well for years...be sure to be on location and bed the trap solid.

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433277
12/16/21 02:27 PM
12/16/21 02:27 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Try a big mouse nest in a chaff set or the end of a hollowed out log . I’ve used the mouse nest for the last couple of years with good results. [Linked Image]
This was a bale of grass hay .

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433292
12/16/21 02:54 PM
12/16/21 02:54 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Here's my 2 cents based off a good amount of testing of ingredients and formulations, with a good about of the testing being side by side comparative testing.
First thing I will say is real uncut coyote urine is a very good and sometimes under rated attractant. But it has to be the good stuff and a lot of what's being sold isn't. A lot of people don't know the difference. The fake won't get a sewage smell like some say to look for. Some say if it has an ammonia smell it's real but the real stuff I collect doesn't have anywhere close to the ammonia smell as the stuff I bought and isn't very good.

As far as "natural" bait it will most definitely catch coyotes. Some meats have more attraction than others. Obviously the more attraction it has the more coyotes you will catch. Unless your in an area of extreme cold or limited food then hunger make everything work better.

I do think that some lure makers are depending on more and more synthetic man made ingredients because of cost and availability of the real natural products. These synthetic from my testing usually have a moderate attraction at best for coyotes and sometimes can actually spook them especially if too much is used. And this is were the poor performance of some lures and even some prepared baits comes in.

There are some ingredients that from my testing I have found to be top shelf ingredients. These ingredients get a very strong reaction from coyotes by themselves and never spook the coyotes matter how much you use. The use of these in baits or lures have always made them better from my testing.
One advantage I think most people over look when they use "natural" bait is the large amount they use. I do think that is a great advantage. I believe a top shelve lure or prepared bait used in equal amounts has an advantage over natural baits in most situations. I think a good amount of people haven't found and used a top shelf lure or bait and therefore have nothing to compare to.

Seldom on here has done a lot of testing using cameras and has been generous in sharing some of that info with us in you tube videos and
Posts on here. A lot of lures just are marginal at best.

I'm sure some will disagree but these are my theories and findings after putting in a hundred or two test holes every year for several years.

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433307
12/16/21 03:16 PM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
We have good luck on trail sets too, nothing added.

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433308
San Antonio , Texas
Y
Yotegiter Offline
trapper
Yotegiter  Offline
trapper
Y

San Antonio , Texas
I use fresh deer organs and meat trimming with good results. I use the best urine I can find, and lots of turds. When I use lure I use a pin drop, but I don’t live in the super cold climates so mild works better for me

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433383
12/16/21 05:20 PM
12/16/21 05:20 PM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
The last couple of years I have used less and less lure. I'm to the point where I don't use lure at all. I do use commercial baits, I use 2. My thinking is it is a lot more natural to a coyote with bait only. If your on location, you don't need anything else. My problem with lure is probably my own doing, like using to much. Not big on urine either. I took instruction from 2 guys that are also lure and bait makers, along with urine. Neither one used a gallon a year. These 2 catch over 500 coyotes each a year.

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433554
12/16/21 08:40 PM
12/16/21 08:40 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
I have used prairie dogs, and rock chuck's chucked up for bait with good results.

And never rule out a good coyote urine set.
I find they circle dead piles, and I find a high spot and put in
a set with coyote urine.

Let me sugar coat this
Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433597
12/16/21 09:41 PM
12/16/21 09:41 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Bait and lure only, here.
Keep it simple.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433765
12/17/21 12:53 AM
12/17/21 12:53 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
I use very little commercial lures. As far as bait goes, I'm a "give em what they're used to" type. We use a lot of mice that we catch around the house, and I like to use beaver meat when I get it. I grind castor, and use it sparingly for lure, best of luck!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433837
12/17/21 06:10 AM
12/17/21 06:10 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
If I had to choose one attractant it would be urine... I use very little bait , a well formulated lure contains all the triggers.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433924
12/17/21 09:44 AM
12/17/21 09:44 AM
Indiana
H
HoosierTrapper07 Offline
trapper
HoosierTrapper07  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
Anyone have any experience using baby bunnies for bait? My parents raise meat rabbits and its common for a rabbit to lose its first litter. I've got probably 20 or so baby bunnies in the freezer. I've been thinking about trying a large dirthole with a couple stuffed in the bottom. Maybe get some bedding from the rabbit pen and line the dirt hole with it. Sounds about as natural as I can get.

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433958
12/17/21 10:44 AM
12/17/21 10:44 AM
Pennsylvania
The hammer Offline
trapper
The hammer  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
The rabbits will work very well as a bait. I’d skip on using the bedding it’ll just attract more rabbits rodents are very attracted to rodent urine. If your running a good pan tension then it won’t be a issue but if you run little pan tension you may just start catching rabbit’s.

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7433967
12/17/21 10:59 AM
12/17/21 10:59 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
What do most commercial baits and lures have in them?

Castor?
Mink glands?
Rat glands?
Skunk?

Most all have some or all of the above in them in varying amounts.

So changing lures doesn’t always necessarily mean you’re dramatically changing smells (unless you know exactly what’s in them). May just be throwing the same smells back at them in differing amounts.

For truly tough coyotes that may be hip to you, hard to beat all natural.

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7434003
12/17/21 11:50 AM
12/17/21 11:50 AM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
I do think that some lure makers are depending on more and more synthetic man made ingredients because of cost and availability of the real natural products. These synthetic from my testing usually have a moderate attraction at best for coyotes and sometimes can actually spook them especially if too much is used. And this is were the poor performance of some lures and even some prepared baits comes in.

There are some ingredients that from my testing I have found to be top shelf ingredients. These ingredients get a very strong reaction from coyotes by themselves and never spook the coyotes matter how much you use. The use of these in baits or lures have always made them better from my testing.
One advantage I think most people over look when they use "natural" bait is the large amount they use. I do think that is a great advantage. I believe a top shelve lure or prepared bait used in equal amounts has an advantage over natural baits in most situations. I think a good amount of people haven't found and used a top shelf lure or bait and therefore have nothing to compare to.
X2

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Yotegiter] #7434014
12/17/21 12:18 PM
12/17/21 12:18 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline
trapper
AuthorTrapper  Offline
trapper

Central/Western Texas
Originally Posted by Yotegiter
I use fresh deer organs and meat trimming with good results. I use the best urine I can find, and lots of turds. When I use lure I use a pin drop, but I don’t live in the super cold climates so mild works better for me

Better listen to this guy, he can flat stack up the 'yotes!

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7434020
12/17/21 12:30 PM
12/17/21 12:30 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
There's several guys I listen to when they speak coyotes on this thread. Not hard to ask this question to the coyotes themselves if you have the motivation to really learn. Lot of off season for most guys to learn from coyotes. Just start putting in some test holes in the off season. The guys I listen to have learned from experience. You can cram a lot of experience in 9 months of test sets and you kmow the answers you get are the right ones. And you also learn who speaks truth or just has lose theories, which there are plenty of.

Last edited by Yes sir; 12/17/21 12:31 PM.
Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: AuthorTrapper] #7434023
12/17/21 12:35 PM
12/17/21 12:35 PM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Originally Posted by AuthorTrapper
Originally Posted by Yotegiter

Better listen to this guy, he can flat stack up the 'yotes!

Unfortunately some can not use game animal parts for lure or bait.
Turds and urine work well for us too.

Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Archeryguy] #7434034
12/17/21 12:57 PM
12/17/21 12:57 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Every bait or lure I use with the exception of maybe a coyote gland lure (which I've had them get dug also) will make the vast majority want to get it no matter the season or the amount you use. Around here if it's good you could use a pea size or a half gallon and the coyotes should work hard to get it. I've always been skeptical when people say that too much lure will cause them to not commit to the set. Seems if that's the case the lure probably only has a mild curiosity to them and not a real strong attraction. You test any of the ingredients Boone mentioned above and they will get worked hard no matter how much is used with the exception of maybe castor or straight skunk. I don't consider them top shelf attractants though they do have their place. I will say that really smart coyotes mayb e an exception to this and need another approach.
And maybe I'm missing something but this is what I've seen testing.

I will add in my testing I have seen were some artificial stuff can have a slight attraction if a very small amount is used but negative things happen too much is used. Some of these ingredients have their place too but must be used correctly and in small amounts.

Last edited by Yes sir; 12/17/21 01:05 PM.
Re: No lure coyote trapping [Re: Yes sir] #7434112
12/17/21 02:30 PM
12/17/21 02:30 PM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Every bait or lure I use with the exception of maybe a coyote gland lure (which I've had them get dug also) will make the vast majority want to get it no matter the season or the amount you use. Around here if it's good you could use a pea size or a half gallon and the coyotes should work hard to get it. I've always been skeptical when people say that too much lure will cause them to not commit to the set. Seems if that's the case the lure probably only has a mild curiosity to them and not a real strong attraction. You test any of the ingredients Boone mentioned above and they will get worked hard no matter how much is used with the exception of maybe castor or straight skunk. I don't consider them top shelf attractants though they do have their place. I will say that really smart coyotes mayb e an exception to this and need another approach.
And maybe I'm missing something but this is what I've seen testing.

I don’t believe you’re missing a single thing Yes sir!

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91