Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
600 ETEC? #7446986
12/31/21 07:21 PM
12/31/21 07:21 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline OP
trapper
bearcat2  Offline OP
trapper
B

Idaho
I'm about sick of working on my Bearcat, it has been a lemon from the start. I'm a fourstroke fan, but, right now you can't get any of the Skandics with an ACE motor in them. One guy I know bought a new one last summer and it is still sitting at the dealer because the computer hasn't come in yet. Skidoo apparently sources their computers and possibly other electronics out to China and nothing is making it in.

Anyways a friend has a 2014 SWT with the 600 Etec motor in it. I've rode it in the past and it seems to have plenty of power and gets as good of fuel mileage as the 900 ACE SWT another friend has that I have used. Was thinking about trying to buy it off him, since he never uses it, I don't think it has been used since I used it guiding lion hunters for him two years ago. But I'm wanting a reliable sled, not another one that is constantly having to be worked on. I use a snowmachine every day and am usually by myself, so breakdowns are not convenient. But I don't know much of anything about the Etec motor, I know a few guys on here had them. How reliable are they? Would I be getting a reliable sled I don't have to worry about breaking down or would I be better off to try and limp my Bearcat through the winter (parts for it are also hard to find right now, the reverse went out yesterday and I'm currently looking for a shift fork for it, new ones are unavailable right now so trying to find a used one, I ordered an A-arm, all new bogie wheels and tie rod ends last spring to go through it all over the summer, just got the last tie rod end a month ago and the A-arm after Christmas.) and buy a new fourstroke next year? Assuming of course that the supply line issues get cleared up and new ones are actually available.

Re: 600 ETEC? [Re: bearcat2] #7447592
01/01/22 10:58 AM
01/01/22 10:58 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
First of all for used parts. There is a place in west central Minnesota that has acres of warehouse full of used parts.. Try Bucksnbears on here, I think he dealt with them a year or two back for his sled and would recall the name of the outfit. They have atv parts as well.
If this can be a comparison I deal a lot with boat motors of late. The big e-techs didn’t work out and are no longer being made as were. I’m told to stay under 100hp and what’s left of e-tech outboards are fine. I do not know how or if this translates to snowmobiles but may be something to check. Others here must know, maybe my warning is baseless.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: 600 ETEC? [Re: Osky] #7447654
01/01/22 12:13 PM
01/01/22 12:13 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Osky
First of all for used parts. There is a place in west central Minnesota that has acres of warehouse full of used parts.. Try Bucksnbears on here, I think he dealt with them a year or two back for his sled and would recall the name of the outfit. They have atv parts as well.
If this can be a comparison I deal a lot with boat motors of late. The big e-techs didn’t work out and are no longer being made as were. I’m told to stay under 100hp and what’s left of e-tech outboards are fine. I do not know how or if this translates to snowmobiles but may be something to check. Others here must know, maybe my warning is baseless.

Osky

Sounds like Harlan's over near Willmar. He is shy 4 ATV tires and a 136 x15 track.

Who is John Galt?
Re: 600 ETEC? [Re: Dirt] #7447799
01/01/22 02:19 PM
01/01/22 02:19 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

Sounds like Harlan's over near Willmar. He is shy 4 ATV tires and a 136 x15 track.

That’s the area alright Dirt, nice you found what you needed.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: 600 ETEC? [Re: bearcat2] #7453982
01/08/22 02:06 AM
01/08/22 02:06 AM
AK / ND
A
aknome Offline
trapper
aknome  Offline
trapper
A

AK / ND
I'm running about a dollar per mile in overhauls on my 600 ETEC.

Re: 600 ETEC? [Re: aknome] #7454120
01/08/22 09:41 AM
01/08/22 09:41 AM
Labrador, Canada
C
crosspatch Offline
trapper
crosspatch  Offline
trapper
C

Labrador, Canada
Originally Posted by aknome
I'm running about a dollar per mile in overhauls on my 600 ETEC.

X2 Most here stay away from E tec.

Re: 600 ETEC? [Re: bearcat2] #7454680
01/08/22 09:23 PM
01/08/22 09:23 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline OP
trapper
bearcat2  Offline OP
trapper
B

Idaho
Thanks for the info. I'm probably doing close to that on my Bearcat. Or would be if I took it to a shop instead of doing all the work myself. That sort of unreliability is what I'm trying to get away from.

Re: 600 ETEC? [Re: bearcat2] #7454681
01/08/22 09:24 PM
01/08/22 09:24 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline OP
trapper
bearcat2  Offline OP
trapper
B

Idaho
Unfortunately when I called Harlan's they said they don't stock the part I need.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman