Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Snow machine reccomendations #7439764
12/23/21 06:16 PM
12/23/21 06:16 PM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline OP
trapper
RockCrick  Offline OP
trapper
R

Oregon
Just wanted to ask the resident experts what snow machine they recommend for puttering around snowed in roads, nothing crazy. Looking to buy something used, was hoping to hear thoughts of brands and models in the model year 2000 range? Thanks.

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7439860
12/23/21 08:20 PM
12/23/21 08:20 PM
Labrador, Canada
C
crosspatch Offline
trapper
crosspatch  Offline
trapper
C

Labrador, Canada
If you are puttering around and model year about 2000 get a Tundra. Not the original Tundra of the early 90's but the ones that started to be made mid 90's. They called them Tundra II's for a while and then just plain Tundra. Bravo long track is not so good a snow machine but you can not kill them either.

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7439889
12/23/21 09:05 PM
12/23/21 09:05 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
Tundra or Bravo long track would be safe bets for sure, if they aren't used up. With either one disconnect the oil injection and use premixed gas/oil 50:1. Keep in mind though any machine that old could be hard to find parts for, you could find yourself buying every junker of that generation you find of whatever flavor you start with just to keep it running.

I lived in SW AK at that time, saw people burn up lots of machines.

Polaris 550 fan cooled from that era seemed to blow lots of pistons. The 340 and 440 didn't seem as prone to that. Don't know much about the liquid cooled machines.

Arctic Cat had some good fan cooled Bearcats, but their suspension seemed kind of light weight.

The best selling point for Yamaha was that both the body and motor were metric, where the other brands seemed to have metric engines and SAE bodies. I don't know if that's changed in today's machines, I do know that my '09 VK Pro is all metric. It is not a machine I recommend, and from I've seen of the current versions they haven't fixed the issues. It's a nice machine when it isn't so cold it won't start, when it isn't stuck, when I don't have to work on it, and when it's cold enough that snow falling from the brush onto the seat and tank shroud don't melt as those things are heated by the air coming off the radiator. It can make for a wet crotch and legs if it gets above 5-10 degrees or so.

Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.
Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7439961
12/23/21 10:11 PM
12/23/21 10:11 PM
Labrador, Canada
C
crosspatch Offline
trapper
crosspatch  Offline
trapper
C

Labrador, Canada
Good pts. Ak. re. used up. Good ones can be found but getting harder and harder. And parts tough at times. Buddy of mine tried to get a cross shaft for a Tundra last year. Reached high and low and beyond local and finally got one for another model that had to be re-machined to fit.

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7440238
12/24/21 08:27 AM
12/24/21 08:27 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
In the years you are looking I would say Tundra, if you move up to 07-09 the Tundra they made then handles immeasurably better, but used ones in those years that aren't absolutely completely worn out are rarer than hens teeth. The Skandic 440 LT was also a good machine but not all parts for it are still available, and it was a "one off" with most parts being made specifically for it and never used in any other machines, so finding even used parts can be practically impossible, while the older Tundras are all over the place. The wide track Skandics are also nice, but very heavy, if you get them stuck be sure and have a shovel and either a winch or a come along are a good idea if traveling by yourself. Also the 550 fan motor Skidoo put in most of those and still offers today is a good motor. . . if you have stock in Exxon.

Bravos are pretty much unknown down here (I know someone who owned one about that vintage, but I've never even seen one). Long tracked Phazers are popular however, I've never owned one but from the ones I've been around, they were constantly having to be worked on. Did well for what you are wanting, and lots of them around for sale, but not what I would call reliable.

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7440302
12/24/21 10:06 AM
12/24/21 10:06 AM
ME.
W
WBG Offline
trapper
WBG  Offline
trapper
W

ME.
I had a 2005 expedition with the 550 fan. l loved the ride but fuel consumption was horrible.

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7442407
12/26/21 08:43 PM
12/26/21 08:43 PM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline OP
trapper
RockCrick  Offline OP
trapper
R

Oregon
Thanks for the wealth of info gents!

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7442590
12/27/21 12:16 AM
12/27/21 12:16 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Get something newer.
Any snowmachine from yr 2000 is more than likely wore out-and parts are near impossible to find.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: Aknative] #7447266
12/31/21 11:11 PM
12/31/21 11:11 PM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
Originally Posted by Aknative
Tundra or Bravo long track would be safe bets for sure, if they aren't used up. With either one disconnect the oil injection and use premixed gas/oil 50:1. Keep in mind though any machine that old could be hard to find parts for, you could find yourself buying every junker of that generation you find of whatever flavor you start with just to keep it running.

Polaris 550 fan cooled from that era seemed to blow lots of pistons. The 340 and 440 didn't seem as prone to that. Don't know much about the liquid cooled machines.

Arctic Cat had some good fan cooled Bearcats, but their suspension seemed kind of light weight.

The best selling point for Yamaha was that both the body and motor were metric, where the other brands seemed to have metric engines and SAE bodies. I don't know if that's changed in today's machines, I do know that my '09 VK Pro is all metric. It is not a machine I recommend, and from I've seen of the current versions they haven't fixed the issues. It's a nice machine when it isn't so cold it won't start, when it isn't stuck, when I don't have to work on it, and when it's cold enough that snow falling from the brush onto the seat and tank shroud don't melt as those things are heated by the air coming off the radiator. It can make for a wet crotch and legs if it gets above 5-10 degrees or so.

I have an 07 VK Pro. I wouldn't mind a new one with the EPS and EFI. Track lugs are deeper on the new ones, and I know guys have put 1.8 lug tracks on the ones like ours. I bet that makes a huge difference. What skis are you running on yours?

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: Boco] #7447579
01/01/22 10:47 AM
01/01/22 10:47 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Boco
Get something newer.
Any snowmachine from yr 2000 is more than likely wore out-and parts are near impossible to find.

That’s part of it, I’ve been down that trail here in northern MN.
Mostly for me it’s the machine build. If you get any kind of snow try to get to a 2011 or newer. That’s when most sleds had gone to higher ground clearing profiles for the main body of the machine. That higher tunnel clearance is worth gold in deeper snow long track or not.
I am currently updating my pair here to even newer, later than 2012 they seem to have raised the tunnels even more and more importantly the seats to running boards got higher which is way better on my knees and back.
No matter the year you can afford, the three or four major brands all built good units. Like Boco said the wear and tear is important.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7448857
01/02/22 01:32 PM
01/02/22 01:32 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
For several years I rented snogo and gave snogo tours around Nome, ak. Most of the machines I owned were polaris 550s. They were just right for most of western Alaska snow conditions. Keep clean gas in the tank and you won't have piston problems.
The 2000 to 2006 Polaris RMK trail 550 machines were my favourite.
I imagine you don't have a wide selection of used machines to choose from. Might have to settle for whatever is available.

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7451119
01/04/22 11:35 PM
01/04/22 11:35 PM
Idaho
V
vegasjim Offline
trapper
vegasjim  Offline
trapper
V

Idaho
What is the better machine for the same conditions the original poster asked about in newer or new machines. Thanks

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7451177
01/05/22 01:36 AM
01/05/22 01:36 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Thee best deals I've seen for used snowmachines without a lot of miles are found in western Washington (I'll bet western Oregon would be similar).
you can often find mid 2000's with less than 2000 miles for just a few hundred dollars.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: sneaky] #7451235
01/05/22 07:38 AM
01/05/22 07:38 AM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
Originally Posted by sneaky
Originally Posted by Aknative

I have an 07 VK Pro. I wouldn't mind a new one with the EPS and EFI. Track lugs are deeper on the new ones, and I know guys have put 1.8 lug tracks on the ones like ours. I bet that makes a huge difference. What skis are you running on yours?

Wide whatever they are. Most of my stucks are operator error, but the worst ones are sidehilling when the throttle is downhill. Spend alot of time shoveling a hole and a little track in front to get it level then a headstart. In the open areas if I can get a headstart it does well in the deep, but trying to crawl through the black spruce and alder slow through the deep, especially when the throttle is on the downhill side, is a pain.

Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.
Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: vegasjim] #7451485
01/05/22 12:37 PM
01/05/22 12:37 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
broncoformudv Offline
trapper
broncoformudv  Offline
trapper

Anchorage, Alaska
Originally Posted by vegasjim
What is the better machine for the same conditions the original poster asked about in newer or new machines. Thanks

That will vary a lot on if you are breaking trail or running on a packed down trail? Or are you going through tight trees? Need to know more about what your operating conditions are like.

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7462943
01/16/22 08:38 PM
01/16/22 08:38 PM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline OP
trapper
RockCrick  Offline OP
trapper
R

Oregon
What’s the pros and cons of a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke? EFI over carb? Looking at new Skandics and Tundras and they have some different engine options.

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7463011
01/16/22 09:38 PM
01/16/22 09:38 PM
WY
M
matt75bronco Offline
trapper
matt75bronco  Offline
trapper
M

WY
Personally if I were looking for a utility type sled I’d go 4-stroke all day long. Engines last longer, no oil to mix. Most of those 2-strokes are gonna need a top end around 2000 miles, although they are lighter.

And EFI for sure. Sometimes the easiest way to get a sled unstuck is to roll it out of its own hole. And carbs don’t like being upside down.

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7463139
01/16/22 11:41 PM
01/16/22 11:41 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Four stroke if buying new. Reliable (not that there aren't reliable two strokes, but they are the exception, utility sleds are more likely to have a reliable two stroke in them because buyers of utility sleds are looking for reliability and longevity and are willing to give up a little power and snap for it, while go-fasters want every little pony they can eke out and are willing to have something broke down regularly as long as it will beat their buddy off the line when it is running), better longevity, lots quieter, and better fuel mileage. I believe all the new four strokes are EFI. The downfall being they don't have a pull start backup if your electric start goes out or your battery dies. . . but then neither do a lot of EFI two strokes.

Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7463153
01/16/22 11:51 PM
01/16/22 11:51 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
The 550f I owned since 08 and used every year has been reliable for a 2 stroke-hard on gas though,but reliable all the same.
Everyone I know here with a 4 stroke that goes far in the bush alone carries a booster pack in case the battery goes dead.Can keep the booster pack charged up at camp with the generator.
I dont know why they dont put a pull cord on the 4 strokes.
My honda 4 stroke bike has a pull cord and a de-compressor.
Honda needs to start making snowmachines.

Last edited by Boco; 01/17/22 08:47 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Snow machine reccomendations [Re: RockCrick] #7463500
01/17/22 11:58 AM
01/17/22 11:58 AM
Interior Alaska
O
Oh Snap Offline
trapper
Oh Snap  Offline
trapper
O

Interior Alaska
The summer of 2007 I bought an Arctic Cat Bearcat 4 stroke. It was stored in my cold storage shop and went to get ready to do a check on it for trapping and battery was dead. I looked all over for a way to use the pull start and. There wasn’t one, what the heck. Back to dealer and found out there wasn’t one, I know didn’t do my research. I just rode it in the spring and liked the quiet and ride!
I have a problem with walking out over 10 miles so I fixed the problem. I put a gel battery in my trapping box on extended cables and had a command start installed. That way if I spent the night it would start on a temperature drop in the engine temperature and 20 minutes from the trail head on the trailer I could start it while still driving. Even with the 2 strokes I would stop and start them 1/2 way to trail head when it was colder than -20. Nothing worse getting to trail head and the sleds won’t start!
I preferred the 2 strokes and the simplicity of them up until I quit trapping. My last sled is a 2015 570 Bearcat. I have a friend that has several and all of them have over 20,000 miles and have never seen a wrench. He makes trips from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay visiting Villages all the way as well as Fairbanks to Whitehorse and back.

[Linked Image]
The 2005 Bearcat

Last edited by Oh Snap; 01/17/22 12:42 PM. Reason: Can’t get year right on Bearcat

I love the smell of burning spruce---I love the sound of a spring time goose---I love the feel of 40 below---from my trapline I will never go!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman