Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Caging bobcats [Re: AJE] #6968682
08/19/20 06:31 PM
08/19/20 06:31 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ttt

Re: Caging bobcats [Re: AJE] #7448750
01/02/22 12:01 PM
01/02/22 12:01 PM
SE Iowa USA
A
AKAjust Offline
trapper
AKAjust  Offline
trapper
A

SE Iowa USA
Lots to think about here.

Re: Caging bobcats [Re: AJE] #7448815
01/02/22 12:54 PM
01/02/22 12:54 PM
Northern Mn
rick olson Offline
trapper
rick olson  Offline
trapper

Northern Mn
I need to buy a cage trap or two for bobcat one of these years I think it would be fun to do something a little different,plus with our climate up here it would be easy to release females and kittens.

Re: Caging bobcats [Re: AJE] #7448889
01/02/22 02:05 PM
01/02/22 02:05 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
This season I have caught two young cats and released them. We have a lot of snow so I simply packed it with my feet, set down the bait cup, then cage over. I wiggled the cages in a bit and snow came up thru the bottom which I then tamped down by hand to sort of match the packed snow out front. Cats walked in fine it seems.
I did try putting a sprinkling of used house cat sand inside back behind the pan for that smell. Nothing outside. Did this help, not sure. I did not find any tracks from a bigger mature cat coming around that might indicate a more wary/aged cats refusal.
For me a longer limb maybe 6’ on top back of the trap coming forwards and up a bit, overhanging the front maybe 3 feet a dab of long call on that end. Then teepee it up with whatever pine bows on the sides up and over and the back. Now with winter here the thaw is not really an issue.
My cages have swinging doors so I have to extend the front “tunnel” to make sure snow does not blow in. Here I see the most cats as incidental visitors on my canine bait piles when they are located in tight groups of young bushy pines or deep grassy swamp edges so that is the type of cover where I put the cages and the smell does more than the visual I believe.
I have conversed and learned a lot from Mercer and others, I am still a newbie to this caging so to speak.
I run MB650’s for foot holds and have not had any of them not come up thru masons sand. I do keep it a very thin skim over top of those traps, cats don’t care.
I do wish Minnesota would stretch the trap check time on cages. They are a blast to use and so easy on the cats wether released or not. I have seen in this country in January where there will be 2 bigger cat tracks running together. I don’t think they are actually running together but males starting to follow females prior to breeding. With a longer check time I’d like to do a double cage set, letting hopefully the first caught a female lounge a day or two and draw in the male.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Caging bobcats [Re: AJE] #7449739
01/03/22 10:52 AM
01/03/22 10:52 AM
Nevada
YamaCat Offline
trapper
YamaCat  Offline
trapper

Nevada
Not sure how exactly how to find it, but there is a thread that is 33 pages long titled: How do I get a Bobcat to Commit to Cages-Bob Small.

Last edited by YamaCat; 01/03/22 10:54 AM. Reason: Grammar
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91