Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Washing coyotes [Re: 3togo] #7447316
01/01/22 12:29 AM
01/01/22 12:29 AM
Northern Nevada
O
Old coy Offline
trapper
Old coy  Offline
trapper
O

Northern Nevada
I wash all the coyotes after fleshing using the 5 gal buckets. 5 buckets, 1 for prerinse, 2 soapy, 2 plain rinse. They are set up in a line and each coyote goes thru the cycle. Change the water in the prerinse for each coyote and the water in the other 4 after 2 coyotes go thru the line. Hang the hides and let drip until all the coyotes are done getting washed. Squeeze out excess water and snap them several times. Hang up overnight to dry fur enough to board. Put them on the stretcher hide out and flip next day. It’s a process that works for me!

Re: Washing coyotes [Re: Old coy] #7447325
01/01/22 12:54 AM
01/01/22 12:54 AM
FALLON, NV - 53
T
TRAPPERKRIS Offline
trapper
TRAPPERKRIS  Offline
trapper
T

FALLON, NV - 53
Old Coy,

Interesting process. Similar to what I do. How do you squeeze out the water? I use a mop ringer. Do you have a heated room to hang your pelts to dry?
Or are you running fans to help speed up the fur drying ? I do use a window fan to dry the leather side when boarded. (dry to the touch then flip),

chris from nv.

Always hunting for #3 northwoods DBLS.
Re: Washing coyotes [Re: red mt] #7447517
01/01/22 09:19 AM
01/01/22 09:19 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Originally Posted by red mt
Well what reason not to wash them then???
Or the reason to wash them ???
I think is a place to start.
Not how to wash them

That’s the real question.

I can make very strong arguments for washing, and very strong arguments to not wash.

Coyote quality and market. No sense putting to much time into turd coyotes in a poor market. I’m much more apt to put more time in a good coyote than a turd.

Coyotes snared off snow that are cared for properly probably won’t need washed. Weekend warrior contest coyotes blown to smithereens and piled in bloody heaps, coyotes trapped in wet muddy conditions, washing is a given.

Convenience. If you have a real, plumbed in washing machine that does all the work for you while you do something else, has spin cycles to remove most of the water, by all means wash em all. Reading some of these time and labor intensive bucket methods, I’m thinking screw that!

For all but the bloodiest and muddiest, I can accomplish most of what a water wash accomplishes, with a proper, final fur out drumming recipe and procedure.

Last edited by Boone Liane; 01/01/22 09:21 AM.
Re: Washing coyotes [Re: TRAPPERKRIS] #7447620
01/01/22 11:26 AM
01/01/22 11:26 AM
Northern Nevada
O
Old coy Offline
trapper
Old coy  Offline
trapper
O

Northern Nevada
TK - Hand squeeze, wood heated garage with fans to help dry, not a constant climate control like you have.
I don’t use a tumbler to finish before sale. If a coyote gets skinned they go through the same process. It’s just a personal preference for me, not for everyone.

Re: Washing coyotes [Re: 3togo] #7447732
01/01/22 01:23 PM
01/01/22 01:23 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Boone I tend to agree with you,,, I still use buckets to wash 30 gallon drum warm water and soap wash or more like let sit for 10 15minutes stir take out and rinse. Let hang and dry a bit. Then go on from there. But I do not trap and put fur together it's one or the other lol.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Washing coyotes [Re: 3togo] #7449881
01/03/22 02:08 PM
01/03/22 02:08 PM
Northern Illinois
MuddyMike Offline
trapper
MuddyMike  Offline
trapper

Northern Illinois
i just let the wife know i have a few really bloody or muddy critters and she takes them and throws them in the washer. i dont know what she uses but they come out nice and clean and actually smell good. my wife is not like most wives so i dont suggest you just borrow the wifes washer when you need to best to ask first or do it while she is out for the day lol. she washes after i skin.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91