No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: martentrapper] #7452291
01/06/22 11:25 AM
01/06/22 11:25 AM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Bernie, I'm curious about your source of study of Mormonism.

Can you please clarify "they can just take away everything from you"?

Present and a past members on this thread have already related there is no forced 10% tithing.

Member - FTA
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: martentrapper] #7452333
01/06/22 12:14 PM
01/06/22 12:14 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
There are different brands of Morman just like different brands of Baptist. When the government told them that they had to give up polygamy to become a state, a lot of them refused. The old original Mormans are still around. They all believe in disappearing gold tablets but then it divides.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: ky_coyote_hunter] #7452352
01/06/22 12:36 PM
01/06/22 12:36 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter

Present and a past members on this thread have already related there is no forced 10% tithing.

Like has been said before on this thread, there are many sects and divisions. I am going by the mormonism set up by Joseph and Hiram Smith and the teachings/doings of Brigham Young after the Smiths were killed. It has changed and evolved into many things. There are some that still hold to the old ways, but if you would be more comfortable, I'll say they could rather than they can. It's really complicated and very few of today's mormons even have a clue about the history of the church, the migration to the west, the beliefs and actions of Brigham Young and the slaughter of hundreds of innocent people that took place under direction of the church. (Including 120 at one time - do some research on the "Mormon Massacre") I has a sister in law who is a mormon and she was shocked when I told her that Brigham Young married three girls in one wedding ceremony, the youngest was 16 years old. She still doesn't believe it and has no interest in even considering it. That's been the common response when talking with Mormons, they really have no idea about the roots of their religion.

If you want to learn more about the actual history of the Mormons, one good book is "The year of Decision, 1846" it was written by a historian in 1943, so it does not hold to today's political correctness and beware it will offend your sensibilities. When reading the book I became convinced that the author Bernard DeVoto was a mormon himself. He sure treats the heinous actions of early mormons with kit gloves.

I have no animosity towards Mormons, I just think the beliefs and teachings are far from the Truth. And I reject the notion that mormonism is just another denomination as was posted on another thread.

Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: martentrapper] #7452354
01/06/22 12:38 PM
01/06/22 12:38 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
Danny...Yes, I'm aware if the splinter groups, but usually when the average person says Mormon they are referring to "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" unless they make a distinction and single out a splinter group by its own name.

I've heard lots of talk about dissapearing gold plates, do any of the original manuscripts of the books of the Bible exist today?

Member - FTA
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: BernieB.] #7452355
01/06/22 12:43 PM
01/06/22 12:43 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter

Like has been said before on this thread, there are many sects and divisions. I am going by the mormonism set up by Joseph and Hiram Smith and the teachings/doings of Brigham Young after the Smiths were killed. It has changed and evolved into many things. There are some that still hold to the old ways, but if you would be more comfortable, I'll say they could rather than they can. It's really complicated and very few of today's mormons even have a clue about the history of the church, the migration to the west, the beliefs and actions of Brigham Young and the slaughter of hundreds of innocent people that took place under direction of the church. (Including 120 at one time - do some research on the "Mormon Massacre") I has a sister in law who is a mormon and she was shocked when I told her that Brigham Young married three girls in one wedding ceremony, the youngest was 16 years old. She still doesn't believe it and has no interest in even considering it. That's been the common response when talking with Mormons, they really have no idea about the roots of their religion.

If you want to learn more about the actual history of the Mormons, one good book is "The year of Decision, 1846" it was written by a historian in 1943, so it does not hold to today's political correctness and beware it will offend your sensibilities. When reading the book I became convinced that the author Bernard DeVoto was a mormon himself. He sure treats the heinous actions of early mormons with kit gloves.

I have no animosity towards Mormons, I just think the beliefs and teachings are far from the Truth. And I reject the notion that mormonism is just another denomination as was posted on another thread.

Thanks for your insights Bernie, I don't have any animosity towards Mormons either, just curious about where you were coming from.

Member - FTA
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: martentrapper] #7452371
01/06/22 12:53 PM
01/06/22 12:53 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I love to debate with Mormon friends. I can poke all kinds of holes in Mormon theology. But what I won't do is try to poke holes in my friends.
Even though I believe much of the official Mormon theology is heretical, I am convinced that many individual Mormons are true believers in the same Jesus Christ that I believe in.
Just like anyone else, they are "saved" in spite of their religion. God looks at an individual's heart; not at the membership list of a denomination.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: martentrapper] #7452446
01/06/22 01:51 PM
01/06/22 01:51 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I know a guy who looked Into trapping on some Mormon land. They wanted 2 Million dollars In liability Insurance which would have cost him $2,000 . So he said he needed $3,000 to trap the coyotes on that ranch and they turned him down.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: martentrapper] #7452450
01/06/22 01:53 PM
01/06/22 01:53 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The splinter groups are the groups that split off. Not the other way round.

I dont believe the biblical tales any more than the gold tablet tales for what its worth ky coyote hunter

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: martentrapper] #7452496
01/06/22 02:43 PM
01/06/22 02:43 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
Gotcha Danny, thanks for your reply.

Member - FTA
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: The Beav] #7452535
01/06/22 03:29 PM
01/06/22 03:29 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
Originally Posted by The Beav
I know a guy who looked Into trapping on some Mormon land. They wanted 2 Million dollars In liability Insurance which would have cost him $2,000 . So he said he needed $3,000 to trap the coyotes on that ranch and they turned him down.
...not any differant from any other big land owner company i lease ground from power company and its several thousand for the 1 million dollar policy the insurance costs more than the lease ..i am doing a beaver complaint job for the county and needed to trap church owned land made a phone call and was given permiision without any strings attached. .

Last edited by wallfur; 01/06/22 09:29 PM.
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: martentrapper] #7453595
01/07/22 06:55 PM
01/07/22 06:55 PM
The great state of Utah
elkantlers Offline
trapper
elkantlers  Offline
trapper

The great state of Utah
There is one plain and simple truth: Mormons are the best Trappers.

elkantlers
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: martentrapper] #7453717
01/07/22 08:49 PM
01/07/22 08:49 PM
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
I'll go along with that...I will say one thing elkantlers, LDS are absolutely the kindest, most honest, and clean living people I've ever encountered...Total respect for them.

Member - FTA
Re: Trapping on Mormon Church property [Re: martentrapper] #7459542
01/13/22 01:57 PM
01/13/22 01:57 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Back in the early 80's I and my Bride moved to Idaho so I could work in a taxidermy shop there. The owner of the shop told us all about those Mormons and warned us not to get involved with them at all. Well, some of the most self sufficient people I ever met were LDS. They were, as a group, one of the most Christian acting people I have ever been around. Most LDS folks were "Preppers" long before that term became popular. I never met any LDS that had multiple wives, but if that floats their boat I really couldn't care less. If my neighbor guy is gunna have 10-12 kids with a half dozen baby mammas, I hope he's LDS because those folks take care of their own very well.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread