Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Using Rat Glands as a spring lure? #7455733
01/09/22 09:25 PM
01/09/22 09:25 PM
New York
P
proratman Offline OP
trapper
proratman  Offline OP
trapper
P

New York
Does anyone use straight ground rat glands as a spring lure? I have always used a good commercial lure in the spring, but I want to cut down on incidental coon catches. I was wondering if by just using the ground glands if it would be an attractant to rats and ignored by most coon?

Re: Using Rat Glands as a spring lure? [Re: proratman] #7455781
01/09/22 10:15 PM
01/09/22 10:15 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
A raccoon that refuses muskrat glands has issues. Not gonna happen. Unless a raccoon has had a bad experience with a lure(either escaped a trap before or tasted it and hated it), all lures attract coon.

Re: Using Rat Glands as a spring lure? [Re: proratman] #7460217
01/14/22 12:10 AM
01/14/22 12:10 AM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
You can’t use any lure here for muskrats as they turn into coon lure. I hate coons. You don’t want to call attention to your rat sets or the coon are all over them and either eat your rats or destroy the set area. Did I mention I hate coons?

Re: Using Rat Glands as a spring lure? [Re: proratman] #7460398
01/14/22 08:33 AM
01/14/22 08:33 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
Yes, I use straight Musk glands for spring 'rat trapping and I have trouble with coons interfering with the set when it is on the bank. If I use a float, I have a lot less coon problems as it (smell) is away from the coon's travel lanes (creek bank). I have baited a BG and then lured it with glands suspended 1/2 - 3/4 out of the water in a cattail patch and that is a relatively coon free set for me. Of all the fur chasing I have done, spring season rat harvesting is still my favorite, although fall fox (not coyote) trapping is a close 2nd.........My tip............. the mike

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91