Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Raft Making #7460859
01/14/22 05:53 PM
01/14/22 05:53 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline OP
trapper
MattLA  Offline OP
trapper
M

Louisiana
Apologize if this is in the wrong section, I just did not see a proper forum for "bushcraft" specifically beyond this one. I live in what is probably considered the last stronghold of the old south, I need some help with raft making for navigating semi-navigable creeks and rivers. The type of deal a man stands on, has his traps or game, and uses a long stick to help steer more or less, might be long shot asking this, but I understand it in the 1800s this was pretty popular.

Looking for something that could fit into an 8 foot bed, probably no more than 3 feet wide, all natural construction is ok. Plastic is not an option. Any thoughts would be ok and again apologize if it's in the wrong section, I just would consider it wilderness where I trap.

Re: Raft Making [Re: MattLA] #7460883
01/14/22 06:46 PM
01/14/22 06:46 PM
Alaska Northwestern
That Fool Offline
trapper
That Fool  Offline
trapper

Alaska Northwestern
Can make yourself a punt boat. They are small and easy to mover around. Doesn't need much to paddle. Can make a long pole and make the paddle about 3 inch wide and about 3 feet long. Taper off the paddle to the handle and have the handle about 1.5-2 inch round. Hard would make be the best if you buy the lumber, if not, can use birch or pine for the pole. Make sure to have a back up pole or paddle incase you get your pole stuck in mud or loss the grip

Re: Raft Making [Re: MattLA] #7460889
01/14/22 06:57 PM
01/14/22 06:57 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

juneau, alaska
I agree, a plywood punt might be just the ticket. I recall an article in either FFG, or maybe Outdoor Life where a fellow made a pretty nice one using 3/8" plywood, dimensional 1"× material for corners, bottom-to-sides, and gunnels. He then coated the whole thing in resin.

If you are more interested in simply lashing together some logs and playing Huck Finn, I don't recommend it.

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: Raft Making [Re: MattLA] #7460904
01/14/22 07:12 PM
01/14/22 07:12 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
I used one of these when I was stationed down there, Pirogue. I also had a buddy that made them out of fiberglass.

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/default.htm

Last edited by HFT AK; 01/14/22 07:12 PM.
Re: Raft Making [Re: MattLA] #7461638
01/15/22 03:17 PM
01/15/22 03:17 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline OP
trapper
MattLA  Offline OP
trapper
M

Louisiana
These are perfect guys, thank you so much, exactly what I was looking for. Makes massive difference to be able to just use one of these to get around if need be. Will keep you posted on what I end up building!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman