I read on here someone has struggled with squirrel gravy. While I never followed a recipe, I decided to actually figure out what I did to try to help.
I start off with 6 tablespoons olive oil. I used extra virgin because it is processed less but and oil will do. Thing ❤healthy, live longer to eat more gravy.
I put the 6 Tbsp oil in my cast iron skillet, over gas, on the 3 setting. Using a wisk, I add 1/3 cup flour and wish it into the oil as it heats up, stirring constantly. This is making a "rue." I use whole wheat flour, but white flour works too. In fact, any flour will probably work.
I keep stirring it until the flour starts frying. I keep cooking it for about three minutes.
I slowly begin adding 3 cups of broth or stock. Chicken stock will work but I like the stock made from cooking my 2 squirrels. I add some (about 1/2 cup) stirring constantly with the wisk. Once it is well blended and cooking I add another 1/2 cup, stirring constantly until it starts cooking again. I do this for all 3 cups.
Once the gravy is made and cooking, I add fresh herbs and spices. I like salt, pepper, and fresh thyme and rosemary from the garden, maybe 1 tsp of thyme and rosemary, salt and pepper to taste. Then I add the squirrel. That's it!

Last edited by Oysterman; 01/25/22 12:14 PM. Reason: Wrong words

Owner Jersey Select Oysters LLC