No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482516
02/02/22 05:22 PM
02/02/22 05:22 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
I always wondered how I would discipline my kids one day. Then I started training dogs from the time they were puppies. Got to be real clear that one day when I'm a parent my kids will be disciplined the same way I was: a good ole fashioned spankin'

I look at so many people the same age as me (mid-20's) and their lives are completely off track. I'm not saying I'm better than them, but I'm thankful I was disciplined as a kid and had some home training. It's clear many did not

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482648
02/02/22 07:40 PM
02/02/22 07:40 PM
PA
P
panaxman Offline
trapper
panaxman  Offline
trapper
P

PA
I meet a lot of people with my job and see teenagers running parents' houses and same with their pets. All a consequence of NO BOUNDARIES. Kids and pets need to learn who is the boss is early in life. Wooden spoons and some leather when they are young are just some of the necessary tools. I started giving out wooden spoons as baby shower gifts. Some folks didn't see understand - same one that had bad kids and dogs grin

Last edited by panaxman; 02/02/22 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482655
02/02/22 07:49 PM
02/02/22 07:49 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Spare the rod,,spoil the child.Seemed to work for a very long time.When I see bad kids,,I want to smack the parents. smile

Last edited by upstateNY; 02/02/22 07:50 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482664
02/02/22 07:55 PM
02/02/22 07:55 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
A similar analogy that was once said, " I've never met a bad dog, only bad owners" :-)

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482677
02/02/22 08:07 PM
02/02/22 08:07 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Kids have got to pay their taxes. Use your head and keep them in the lower brackets.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482683
02/02/22 08:13 PM
02/02/22 08:13 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I remember getting swatted a time or two for things I didn’t even do. With six boys I guess it was hard to keep track of who did what Lol. Good lesson there too though, don’t snitch and life isn’t always fair.

I see a lot of adults these days who may have benefited from an undeserved swat back in the day.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482691
02/02/22 08:22 PM
02/02/22 08:22 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
"I've always believed the mind is the best weapon."

John J. Rambo

They're children--if you can't out smart them I guess you have to spank them? I've never hit mine and they turned out just fine.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482710
02/02/22 08:44 PM
02/02/22 08:44 PM
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
To me it is so sad that some people have to resort to making something normal sound ugly so they can think they can win an argument.

A spanking is not hitting.

Hitting is not spanking.

I don't care what flipping judge or shrink or doctor says it is.

If people wish to have a coherent and logical conversation it would be nice for them to be able to distinguish between the two.

Some people just like to argue. My wife for instance.

How many lies will people believe before they realize their own idiocy?
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482725
02/02/22 08:56 PM
02/02/22 08:56 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Let's be honest. Many people in Today's World can't or won't be able to comprehend the difference between abuse, discipline, and constructive correction.
PS, just because they're defined in a "dictionary" doesn't necessarily make them correct.

Last edited by SJA; 02/02/22 09:01 PM.

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482728
02/02/22 08:58 PM
02/02/22 08:58 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I raised three girls. Never laid a hand on them and neither did my wife. Like ADC said, I was enough smarter than them to figure out ways to make them listen without hitting them. All are successful, hard-working, well-adjusted adults now (shameless dad brag).

I also played a large role in raising my granddaughter. not because she had bad parents but because her dad was killed when she was a baby and I left her and her mother live here for nine years. No one ever hit her either. She's twelve now and is turning out pretty darn good. She's a heck of a fisherperson, she's dispatching and skinning fox and starting to show real promise as a hunter (shameless granddad brag).

That's my resume and makes my opinion valid.

If you are not a parent your opinion means little to me. I suspect a lot commenting here are not.

Gritguy, ADC and Kart got it right. So did coondagger with his reference to dog training. You have to establish yourself as the alpha. Dogs and kids will test that dominance frequently.

Boys may be different. I have limited experience, next to none, raising them. I do have a five-year-old grandson who stays here often. He seems to enjoy testing his boundaries. I have established myself as his boss. He says I'm mean but admits he knows I love him. He knows if he pushes the boundaries of good behavior I'll push back. I haven't had to spank him and don't think I will have to but won't rule it out.

My brother and I were hellions and frequently got "the belt" when our father got home and were made to stand on the basement stairs awaiting our punishment.. It didn't really deter us all that much. I think if my parents had used my methods they may have been more effective.

Eh...wot?

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Lugnut] #7482740
02/02/22 09:06 PM
02/02/22 09:06 PM
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I raised three girls. Never laid a hand on them and neither did my wife. Like ADC said, I was enough smarter than them to figure out ways to make them listen without hitting them. All are successful, hard-working, well-adjusted adults now (shameless dad brag).

I also played a large role in raising my granddaughter. not because she had bad parents but because her dad was killed when she was a baby and I left her and her mother live here for nine years. No one ever hit her either. She's twelve now and is turning out pretty darn good. She's a heck of a fisherperson, she's dispatching and skinning fox and starting to show real promise as a hunter (shameless granddad brag).

That's my resume and makes my opinion valid.

If you are not a parent your opinion means little to me. I suspect a lot commenting here are not.

Gritguy, ADC and Kart got it right. So did coondagger with his reference to dog training. You have to establish yourself as the alpha. Dogs and kids will test that dominance frequently.

Boys may be different. I have limited experience, next to none, raising them. I do have a five-year-old grandson who stays here often. He seems to enjoy testing his boundaries. I have established myself as his boss. He says I'm mean but admits he knows I love him. He knows if he pushes the boundaries of good behavior I'll push back. I haven't had to spank him and don't think I will have to but won't rule it out.

My brother and I were hellions and frequently got "the belt" when our father got home and were made to stand on the basement stairs awaiting our punishment.. It didn't really deter us all that much. I think if my parents had used my methods they may have been more effective.

So if other dumb people spank their children it's hitting but if you have to resort to corporal punishment it's spanking.

Got it.

Good grief!!!

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: riverbank] #7482756
02/02/22 09:14 PM
02/02/22 09:14 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by riverbank
Seems to be pretty simple. Discipline a child in the way that it works best for them. I don't think that anybody on here wants to beat their children. Some need spanked, others just need you to raise your voice and they start crying. I'm sure that some would disapprove of me smacking my 1 year old's hands away from things that he shouldn't be in and call me abusive. Regardless, I won't let a child rule my house or go crazy in it. I remember as a child that both of my brothers were slow learners. They liked getting a belt taken to them and eating soap apparently. I didn't care for either. I got spanked one time and had soap in my mouth one time. Not a fan of the feel of leather slapping me or the taste of irish spring. Funny thing is, all 3 of us have done well for ourselves and have no hurt feelings from being disciplined. How strange.

I never remember getting the belt on my butt for something I didn't deserve it for.

I got soap 3 times and deserved it twice

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482763
02/02/22 09:17 PM
02/02/22 09:17 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I haven't had to spank hit him and don't think I will have to but won't rule it out.

Feel better now bowhunter?

Eh...wot?

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Lugnut] #7482774
02/02/22 09:20 PM
02/02/22 09:20 PM
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I haven't had to spank hit him and don't think I will have to but won't rule it out.

Feel better now bowhunter?

Nope.

Once again, hitting is not spanking and spanking is not hitting.

Spanking is open hand popping a kids butt.

Hitting is using your fist to hit something to injure or break it.

It is such a shame I have to explain this to grown men.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482781
02/02/22 09:25 PM
02/02/22 09:25 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
All I know is a three year old doesn't understand why running out into the street is a bad idea. They do understand if they do it they will get a swat. Now if you want to chase and catch a little kid every time your in town or whatever its fine by me.

Telling someone else how to raise their kid is more than a little arrogant.

The fact that our country got built and produced so many amazing people is proof that smacking a kid once in awhile wont hurt their tender psyche. No matter what the psycho babblers are babbling.

If you think Dr Spock was a child rearing genius then dont spank your kid. This is America.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482799
02/02/22 09:32 PM
02/02/22 09:32 PM
Northern lower Michigan
Feedinggrounds Offline
trapper
Feedinggrounds  Offline
trapper

Northern lower Michigan
Being spanked is a humbling experience. You can tell who here was spanked and who was not, and needed a couple more.

you're only allowed so many sunrises... I aim to see every one of them!
Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482813
02/02/22 09:41 PM
02/02/22 09:41 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Thank God my parents whooped my tail. I honestly would probably be in prison right now if they hadn’t. I laughed at some of these comments. Make them stand in a corner and be still? And if they don’t, lol. Spankings work regardless of what some may think. I can go to any store/restaurant/church, etc…and tell you what kids have been spanked and what kids haven’t. The ones that haven’t are the ones you want to take your belt off and give the parents a good swat because their kids are pure terror.

Now, after saying all that, I now have an Autistic child with ADHD. A spanking wouldn’t phase him one bit and I did research when he was a baby and never gave him one when he was younger. Time out worked to an extent, but taking something he really enjoyed did more than anything else. He learned quickly. Now that he’s older, 7, he has gotten a swat or two and it definitely gets his attention and he understands I mean business. In my opinion, ADHD is an excuse parents use for bad behavior and not being the Alpha over their children. My wife’s niece had a child like what was mentioned and was over once and slapped my wife when she told him no. Before I could get out of the chair, my oldest grabbed that boy and knocked a little sense into him and made him apologize to his momma. My niece and her husband literally sat dumbfounded. I don’t know if they were embarrassed or really ticked, but they haven’t been back to visit in the last 10 years, lol.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: bowhunter27295] #7482824
02/02/22 09:52 PM
02/02/22 09:52 PM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by bowhunter27295
Originally Posted by J Staton
My stepson has ADHD. Spanking didn't work. Taking everything from his room except his bed didn't work, he would just sleep. Etc.,etc.
When he was about 14, him and his buddies got in what they thought was an abandoned mobile home. Kicked holes in the walls, broke windows, etc. When I found out about it from the sheriff's office, I had enough. I proceeded to grab him by the scruff of the shirt, place him with enough force against the wall to get his attention, then told him if it ever happens again I would be using my fist to correct the problem. That worked, never had anymore trouble of that sorts with him again.

There are rungs on the punishment ladder most parents don't even want to get hold of much less do it. You were forced by your child's misbehavior to do that. You reached your max level. Some children require higher levels of correction. I am sorry you had to go to that level but I am more glad it corrected your son. I can't imagine how you felt afterward.

Wasn't the best feeling but I meant it and he knew it. I guess I did my job okay, he's now a mechanic for a local car dealership instead of learning how to mechanic in the Department of Corrections. I suspect that's where he was headed.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482835
02/02/22 10:01 PM
02/02/22 10:01 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Your house, your rules, tell them to go home or start the swatting. Why post it on here you want a quorum to make it right. Maybe the Kid is ADHD if there is a doubt then let it be, your not a doctor or child psychologist, do what ya want its your home.

Re: Corporal punishment? [Re: Finster] #7482873
02/02/22 10:27 PM
02/02/22 10:27 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Danny writes
Telling someone else how to raise their kid is more than a little arrogant.

I don't see anyone telling others how to raise their children here, I do read a lot of examples of how others raise theirs though.

In our country, still, there remains a civil discourse about doing things even if others do not like the way it's done, still does not make either right or wrong, it just makes it different !

I chose to not raise my kids the way I was disciplined up by a Neanderthal of an adult male, I'm very happy to have broken that procedure and my kids choose to do the same, other ways do work, regardless of what others think !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread