No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The internet and trapping #7496572
02/14/22 11:09 PM
02/14/22 11:09 PM
Iowa
I
IowaTrapper Offline OP
trapper
IowaTrapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

Iowa
Well, first off I understand this is a touchy subject for some. Not everybody embraces the internet, and I respect that. Some view it as a bad place full of misinformation, and alot of the times your not wrong.

I know a few of yall know I'm on youtube with my trapping channel. I've gotten alot of support, as well as many people who..let's just say don't care for it. We need to understand many people, kids especially don't have a dad or uncle that trapped, and with fewer people in my generation trapping, there will be less and less people getting involved with that first hand experience. And we all know how this new generation is all about the internet. So therefore most people interested in trapping, with nobody to assist them first hand, they turn to youtube and Facebook as well as other forums like itt and tman. Whether you want it to or not the world is evolving and as trappers we need to understand that. If we don't put trappers in a positive light out there the antis will be doing the opposite and we will be in BIG trouble.

I've had the privilege of helping many new trappers on my page, last night was a special night, on my live video last night (where viewers can actually ask questions and get answers and interact instead of just watching a video) I had a 14 year old from Oklahoma get on, he wants to trap, has no idea who or how as he knows absolutely nobody in the sport. I have been reaching out (with moms concent) to the Oklahoma trapping alliance and finding this young man someone to assist him and his mother on trapping. I'm pretty proud that my channel is giving me the opportunities to help out in anyway I can.

I would like to encourage anybody on this site, to be open to at least getting to understand the significance the internet especially youtube plays in our passion. Yes, it's not always great, but there is alot of great trapping knowledge out there.

Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496580
02/14/22 11:19 PM
02/14/22 11:19 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
I can hear the responses already... Hope these thread is productive though...
Really good thing your doing though. Gotta link to you channel?

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 02/14/22 11:35 PM.
Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496590
02/14/22 11:26 PM
02/14/22 11:26 PM
Oklahoma
B
BobMac Offline
trapper
BobMac  Offline
trapper
B

Oklahoma
What part of okla

Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496600
02/14/22 11:40 PM
02/14/22 11:40 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
I think its a great tool if done in good taste no dispatch, disrespect for the wildlife or foul language. There is some stuff out there now that I can not support as good for trapping or hunting. Most of it is just some knot head on you tube posting some foul language and a dispatch shot on a animal not in good taste and used against us. Some folks will never see it is a useful management tool or respect our need for trapping and that's life. However a lot of folks can go either way and if they watch one youtube video in poor taste they made up their mind trapping or hunting is bad. I still feel most folks view some of the anti stuff and know its a bunch of propaganda to make them feel guilty, lets be better at the game. Show how fur is used show the damage that can occur to agriculture and live stock. We have tons of glory shots of someone holding a nice prime coyote show them pics of canines with mange. Get wildlife officers in the videos if possible making a pitch for us or the land owner talking about damage. I'm surprised YouTube has not all out banned hunting or trapping media. I think its because they are making money at it. However, it may soon be gone as a result of a few idiots posting in poor taste. I love the Wild North and Andrew but some of the F bombs will cost him I think it is why they dropped him from a reality series. A lot of the realty shows about mountain men and Alaska living have spurred some renewed interest in trapping most of it we know is, well, bogus but I have had a lot of folks want to learn from me because of those shows.

Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496602
02/14/22 11:43 PM
02/14/22 11:43 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Hmmmmph

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496615
02/14/22 11:57 PM
02/14/22 11:57 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
There are national survey's out there that give the general publics' views of trapping. There are certain motives that are not acceptable to the general public. I wouldn't dwell on those even if they are true.

Who is John Galt?
Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496627
02/15/22 12:06 AM
02/15/22 12:06 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 44
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 44
I haven't watched your channel, but must say that with your heartfelt post, I'd say you take care to pass on good info. The problem with internet trapping, is that there is a lot of junk out there that doesn't work. I, personally, watch a lot of fur handling stuff, because that is what my next venture is. I commend anyone that is doing it appropriately!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496723
02/15/22 07:35 AM
02/15/22 07:35 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Lots of video stars out there. Be sure to use your head and do a good job representing our community. Ive watched some doozys from "experts" and man some of them are just a load of crap. Others are trying to do something good with their info. In past we had paper, magazines, word of mouth, books, etc. Even back then you had to wade through the crap to get to the good stuff. Some guys were selling snake oil (humor) some magic bait or lure that would pile up the fur. Then came long dvds. Ever page through any trapping catalog whether paper or online and come to the DVD section? Must be a jillion of them on shelves to unload. Today we still have books and DVD but YouTube and other media is the new frontier for outdoorsman. Bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping, all of it. And, we still have a lot of snake oil sellers to wade through to get to the good stuff. But one thing about online...it is way more accessible to anyone and especially our youth looking for how to do things correctly. When I was a kid it was hard to find the right trapping info. Wasted a lot of time and money going about much of it wrong and had to learn a lot from school of hard knocks. That is where we must take care, do it right, teach correctly, and make the community proud.
Good luck with your shows and thank you for pursuing the correct way to reach your audience.
Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 02/15/22 07:36 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496739
02/15/22 07:59 AM
02/15/22 07:59 AM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Im 56 years old now, it's no longer my world. I don't watch utube trapping stuff but understand the new generation of trapper's live and die by the stuff just like a lost phone is the end of the world as they have to be connected 24/7. You tech trapper's make the best of it. However I do get entertained by the 20 somethings trying to teach me how to trap by watching every utube video they have been impressed with, lol.

In the end, you'll have much more difficult trapping laws or out right bans due to the internet, just too many posting stuff that shouldn't be for the whole world to see. Can preach to them about not doing it but year after year it continues. More bullets for the anti's to shoot us with.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496741
02/15/22 08:00 AM
02/15/22 08:00 AM
NW PA
W
washxc Offline
trapper
washxc  Offline
trapper
W

NW PA
It's not just the young kids either...I'm 38 and found a passion for trapping in my mid-30's. Your youtube channel, Coon Creek Outdoors, and our Pennsylvania folks (Live More Outdoors, Hammer, Bonehead, Leatherwood), along with Trapperman have been my biggest sources of information. Now I'm a member of the NTA and PTA and am bringing along my kids on the trapline. Hopefully they can learn directly from me!

Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496747
02/15/22 08:12 AM
02/15/22 08:12 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
There are some really good ones but more really bad ones. I've learned a lot from a few of the good ones. Ed Scheider is a great example of an excellent YouTuber. Seldom Fales is another. I like the Coon Creek guy too.

It's like anything else. There are idiots talking guns, hunting, trapping and other things I love that are doing more harm than good online.

Good luck to the OP. I'd also like to see a link.

Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496765
02/15/22 08:35 AM
02/15/22 08:35 AM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
Saying people don’t support the internet, while on the internet, and speaking to ONLY people who are logging ONTO the internet? I think most of the regulars on here DO like the internet. From what I can gather, they don’t like inexperienced people putting out false information while portraying themselves as experts. I have no idea who the original poster is or his/her experience. But when I hear people complain, 99% of the time, that’s what it’s about.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496777
02/15/22 08:49 AM
02/15/22 08:49 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Good youtube videos from experienced knowledgeable trappers made in good taste are good for trapping. As you stated we need to reach the next generation. Guys that are new to trapping and that are giving poor advise are not good for trapping. Too many want to be stars with limited experience trying to give advise now a days. I think some young kids start youtube videos partly for the free stuff sponsors give them. Seen a guy make a video of "the best scent post set ever", he stated he had only caught one coyote in it but his buddy hammers them in it. Lol

Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496783
02/15/22 08:52 AM
02/15/22 08:52 AM
IA
K
kinley31 Offline
trapper
kinley31  Offline
trapper
K

IA
Originally Posted by IowaTrapper
Well, first off I understand this is a touchy subject for some. Not everybody embraces the internet, and I respect that. Some view it as a bad place full of misinformation, and alot of the times your not wrong.

I know a few of yall know I'm on youtube with my trapping channel. I've gotten alot of support, as well as many people who..let's just say don't care for it. We need to understand many people, kids especially don't have a dad or uncle that trapped, and with fewer people in my generation trapping, there will be less and less people getting involved with that first hand experience. And we all know how this new generation is all about the internet. So therefore most people interested in trapping, with nobody to assist them first hand, they turn to youtube and Facebook as well as other forums like itt and tman. Whether you want it to or not the world is evolving and as trappers we need to understand that. If we don't put trappers in a positive light out there the antis will be doing the opposite and we will be in BIG trouble.

I've had the privilege of helping many new trappers on my page, last night was a special night, on my live video last night (where viewers can actually ask questions and get answers and interact instead of just watching a video) I had a 14 year old from Oklahoma get on, he wants to trap, has no idea who or how as he knows absolutely nobody in the sport. I have been reaching out (with moms concent) to the Oklahoma trapping alliance and finding this young man someone to assist him and his mother on trapping. I'm pretty proud that my channel is giving me the opportunities to help out in anyway I can.

I would like to encourage anybody on this site, to be open to at least getting to understand the significance the internet especially youtube plays in our passion. Yes, it's not always great, but there is alot of great trapping knowledge out there.

As far as your YouTube channel, when you say "as well as many people who...let's just say don't care for it." I think people have had enough of the self-promotion, and the "look what I can do" persona. So when you write four paragraphs, some people are going to question your intentions. Are you really trying to promote the internet and it's potential positive effect on trapping, or are you trying to promote your YouTube channel?

Last year you had a video series on ITT, now you've gone exclusively to YouTube? I'll draw my own conclusion there. Not trying to beat you up, just asking fair questions.

Last edited by kinley31; 02/15/22 08:53 AM.
Re: The internet and trapping [Re: kinley31] #7496800
02/15/22 09:08 AM
02/15/22 09:08 AM
Iowa
I
IowaTrapper Offline OP
trapper
IowaTrapper  Offline OP
trapper
I

Iowa

Last year you had a video series on ITT, now you've gone exclusively to YouTube? I'll draw my own conclusion there. Not trying to beat you up, just asking fair questions.
[/quote]

I didn't post it again this year as anybody who cared to watch could find it there, no need to post it over and over again.. I understand what your saying, and your entitled to your opinion as well as everybody else. I don't "advertise" my page anywhere anymore, not here, itt, not even on my own Facebook group I created for beginner trappers.

Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496817
02/15/22 09:20 AM
02/15/22 09:20 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
Maybe the video series was not posted again on ITT because of all the flak he got for uploading those videos over there? Just spitballing here

I think if I put as much time into making videos as he did I would want to grow my channel too. I'd want some sort of monetary return that made it worth my time.

I think his videos are great and I respect someone with enough drive to make those catch numbers while taking the time to film dang near every catch.

Have you ever tried to film something? It automatically doubles the amount of time it should take to do that task because you're explaining everything.

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: The internet and trapping [Re: kinley31] #7496822
02/15/22 09:23 AM
02/15/22 09:23 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by kinley31
Originally Posted by IowaTrapper

As far as your YouTube channel, when you say "as well as many people who...let's just say don't care for it." I think people have had enough of the self-promotion, and the "look what I can do" persona. So when you write four paragraphs, some people are going to question your intentions. Are you really trying to promote the internet and it's potential positive effect on trapping, or are you trying to promote your YouTube channel?

wink

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: The internet and trapping [Re: Jtrapper] #7496825
02/15/22 09:26 AM
02/15/22 09:26 AM
Three Lakes,WI 73
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 73
Originally Posted by Jtrapper
Im 56 years old now, it's no longer my world. I don't watch utube trapping stuff but understand the new generation of trapper's live and die by the stuff just like a lost phone is the end of the world as they have to be connected 24/7. You tech trapper's make the best of it. However I do get entertained by the 20 somethings trying to teach me how to trap by watching every utube video they have been impressed with, lol.

In the end, you'll have much more difficult trapping laws or out right bans due to the internet, just too many posting stuff that shouldn't be for the whole world to see. Can preach to them about not doing it but year after year it continues. More bullets for the anti's to shoot us with.

Well said youngster

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
This place is getting more like Facebook every day.

Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496880
02/15/22 10:08 AM
02/15/22 10:08 AM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
Trapperman.com would be considered an internet way of reaching trappers. I am an old school book guy, A computer was something I had to use at work. I resisted it completely. So a trapper told me about trapperman, then it was looking for books on ebay. Then my kid wanted me on face book so we could do some kind of face time like skipe thing when she was deployed. Then Jeff Dunlap got me involved with Trapping History ad Heritage.

For all you long spring guys its that had to switch to coil spring,,,,,,its a tool.

if you do not learn to master a tool it will master you. Look at all the subject matter posted on Trapping talk that is sourced from social media, the trucking thing in Canada is a great example. The problem seem to be us old timers do not like young people telling us how to do a process. I remember a young trapper trying to correct Wayne Derrick on coyote trapping, some of the comments on and by Matt Jones will make you bust a gut. Comments on Zagger. You post something on Dailey, Butcher, even OG and Carmen and they you get the deer in the headlight comments.

I talk to Tom Parr about circulation of TW and TRAPS magazine: how to reach new trappers. I worked with Jeff Dunlap to drive membership on THH to 15000 MEMBERS. We work very hard to educate them, provide video clips and history. We have a pretty hard line on politics and fighting. but we work on percentages and we are reaching young trappers. It is working and yes it take alot of personnel time and effort.

Wayne Derrick even post a prayer every Sunday Morning.

It is a closed site and you have to ask to join and everyone and all post are screened in some form. I modeled alot of what we do on THH based on TRAPPERMAN and Paul Dobbins.

We are reaching you trappers.

They say education is a terrible thing to waste.

Re: The internet and trapping [Re: IowaTrapper] #7496907
02/15/22 10:34 AM
02/15/22 10:34 AM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
I watched several of your videos the last couple of months Iowa Trapper. Just happened to pop up as a selection. I thought they were tastefully done. A video ride-along. Showing what you were doing, trying new stuff, failing, succeeding, and planning to do better next season as you went. Good work ethic example.

YouTube is not much different from the local public library. More fiction than non-fiction. Up to the individual to seek the truth and find it.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread