Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 2021 Trapping Report with Costs [Re: MattLA] #7506967
02/24/22 12:01 AM
02/24/22 12:01 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
If I lost my job tomorrow, that’s why I have a years salary (gross not net) saved as cash. That doesn’t include my pension and 401K. As far as everything else, guess my meager housing and land wouldn’t be able to store all that, lol. Ammo I’m doing pretty good with. Food is something I’d never run out of, too many game animals here and friends with too many farmers. We already “trade” meat for vegetables.
Did you ever post your age or marital status? Are you retired and taking this on? Or just figure you’ll live off the land?

Re: 2021 Trapping Report with Costs [Re: MattLA] #7507964
02/24/22 08:38 PM
02/24/22 08:38 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Pretty sure nobody else on here has the same thought process as you. Anyways I don't know of anybody else who is pro wolf, anti 2nd amendment, and anti petroleum products.

That being said, I never thought I would say you gave good advice, but your financial advice is pretty good. I worked like a dog and saved my money when I was young so I was able to buy a chunk of land and build a house on it by the time I was 25, all cash. Since then I haven't worked a winter except guiding the occasional cat or lion hunt. But you pretty much have to work for yourself to manage taking what time you want off when you have enough money to live on. Your average boss expects not only an honest days work for an honest days pay, but for you to show up every day. Just because you have made enough money to live on for the month, most bosses still expect you to show up for the rest of the month. If you aren't willing to work every day, they aren't going to be willing to employ you.

Re: 2021 Trapping Report with Costs [Re: MattLA] #7508308
02/25/22 01:21 AM
02/25/22 01:21 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
I’m getting the sense Tofan needs to take in some YouTube videos, state conventions and go out with people who have been trapping for more than a couple years. THEN come to this forum with an estimate of running a line costs.

Beginners at anything should avail themselves with current educational materials. The YouTube trapping videos are a good place to start. Books from the 1800s and 1900s only go so far in terms of trap prep, call lure locations, sets, etc. Think in terms of no cars back then. Or coilspring traps. Or body grippers. Or snare locks, cables, whammies, etc.

After getting some modern education, go out with someone who knows how all of this knowledge is applied in the field.

Then figure out what it actually costs you to run a 30-60-100-150 etc trap line. This type of information is far more valuable to beginners and seasoned trappers alike, and you won’t get castigated on forums like this. Tofan, knowledge, based on education and application based experience, is always in demand.

Never too old to learn
Re: 2021 Trapping Report with Costs [Re: MattLA] #7509398
02/25/22 10:50 PM
02/25/22 10:50 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Tofan lost me with his philosophy of not wearing shoes or boots while trapping.
While that is a personal choice, it definitely impacts credibility.

Another important point is that it is rarely a good idea for a beginner to teach beginners. It takes a lot of understanding, wisdom, and experience to direct beginners in good ways.

The rest of the many experts have pointed out many other issues.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91