No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201454
08/22/24 10:15 PM
08/22/24 10:15 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Here is what I have observed about sounds in the outdoors. The sound which you hear from distance is often quite different than what its source sounds like up close.
1) I was walking around one Fall afternoon and heard a low frequency humming sound passing by 10 feet above my head travelling at to fast rate of speed, followed by a "POOF" sound. I also heard a loud cracking sound in a nearby tree. This was repeated 3 times in rapid succession. I had no clue what it was until a big orange creature topped the hill, heading toward me carrying a slug gun. He looked like Elmer Fudd.
I never heard anything which sounded like a shotgun going off because when it is shot pretty much straight at you the sound dissipates in all directions, leaving very little of the sound to go forward. I will say this, that one ounce of lead whizzing by 10 feet over your head is an evil sound that I care not to ever hear again.

2) I was in Southern Illinois during the peak the cicada armageddon. The millions of cicadas which you hear in all directions sounds like a one note, low frequency droning sound, while the ones close to you make a high frequency, relatively short bursts of screaming. Same bug, different distances sounds completely different. Not even close to the same sound, yet they are all making the same relatively short burst screaming sound.

I am suggesting that we consider this phenomenon when trying to decipher what we are hearing compared to what that sound may actually sound like near its source.

Last edited by 52Carl; 08/22/24 10:18 PM.
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201498
08/22/24 11:20 PM
08/22/24 11:20 PM
Maine
R
Researcher Offline
trapper
Researcher  Offline
trapper
R

Maine
Good points, 52Carl, thanks. High pitched sounds get absorbed much quicker that low frequency waves which travel much further. Think whale calls through miles of ocean water and elephants that sense low frequency vibrations at distance through their foot pads. Sorry you had to experience the "evil sound". Good that you're here to relate the story. Coulda been much worse. I was hiking one day back in my 20's, heard a small rifle go off from across a large pond and saw the .22 ricochet off the surface of the pond and tear into the leaves over my head. I yelled out, "Don't shoot!" I know it was a .22 because I met up with the young shooter a little later who went white when I told him it was me.

I joined up here to see if cathryn or Mainewoods have anything to say about my recording. It's been a coupla days so maybe they don't. This is probably not the Forum to go into primate evolutionary genetics, LOL, so it might be time for me to move on. I would like to thank Admin for approving my membership and say that I've enjoyed engaging with everyone here and have appreciated and respected your input and comments. Good luck with your sets and be safe.

Last edited by Researcher; 08/22/24 11:21 PM. Reason: Sp.
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201528
08/23/24 12:58 AM
08/23/24 12:58 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 44
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 44
Thank you Researcher, I personally like to read about others' experiences, as I think that is how we will ultimately come to the most complete conclusion of what is happening in the wild.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201558
08/23/24 04:41 AM
08/23/24 04:41 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
We live in a world of satellite thermal imaging not to mention drones. If there is a species not yet documented in the U.S., the size bigfoot is supposed to be, living in remote areas, it would be a simple thing to prove it.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201669
08/23/24 08:45 AM
08/23/24 08:45 AM
Maine
R
Researcher Offline
trapper
Researcher  Offline
trapper
R

Maine
It would certainly seem so, dc. Sounds simple enough. Satellites and drones are Border Patrol tools as well, along with personnel on horseback, ATV's, snowmobiles etc. As far as monitoring the slash, which is the 20ft wide cut down strip of land between the two countries there are sensitive ground sensors that eventually, via AI,, will be tied to the cameras which will then be turned in the direction of whatever gets detected.This may be already be true along some stretches.It should be known that a good tree canopy will interfere with a drone's seeming thermal camera advantage during foliage seasons.

I have a low end hand-held one that I rarely use until the leaves drop. They work on temperature differential so if a 100 degree animal walks around on a 100 degree day it will be difficult to detect. That same animal on a 40 degree day, however, will light up like a Christmas tree.

Last edited by Researcher; 08/23/24 08:49 AM. Reason: Grammar
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201771
08/23/24 11:44 AM
08/23/24 11:44 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Danny I don't disagree with your points but I do disagree with your premise which is that the powers that be care a rats red rear end about keeping us common men informed.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201782
08/23/24 12:32 PM
08/23/24 12:32 PM
Tug Hill, NY
S
Squash Offline
trapper
Squash  Offline
trapper
S

Tug Hill, NY
Most likely Tony Orlando.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8201819
08/23/24 01:59 PM
08/23/24 01:59 PM
Maine
R
Researcher Offline
trapper
Researcher  Offline
trapper
R

Maine
Guy moves around pretty fast for an 80 year old grin

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: Researcher] #8203735
08/26/24 06:07 PM
08/26/24 06:07 PM
Maine
M
mainewoods Offline
trapper
mainewoods  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by Researcher
Hi, everyone, first post here. This is to hopefully give some support to what cathryn and Mainewoods have posted about their experiences with their knock sounds. I carefully read all of the details within each telling and saw that a lot of the suggested sources of these sounds don't fit the descriptions of carolyn's and Mainewoods' locations or relatively isolated location conditions.

I'm going to post a recording of what I think is what they've heard. There are two prime differences between what they said and my own experience. One is that both of their occurrences happened in the daytime where mine occurred primarily between 9:25pm and 9:50pm. There's more to relate concerning the backstory of that but for now it can wait. The second difference is that they were going about doing normal things whereas I had intentionally set up a recorder to run all night that, with luck, might acquire such evidence. All comments are welcome.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/vmsz...huio0btt3e0dqzk&st=pjimoknm&dl=0

Thank you for that Researcher! I actually hear that sound as well and always assumed it was gunshots. I hear that every few weeks out here. It's the closest to the sound we heard, but not quite it. It had more of a deeper "thud" or boom sound, and it was the exact same sound three times within 5 or 6 seconds.

Any ideas on what you were recording if it wasn't gunshots?

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: T-Rex] #8203742
08/26/24 06:13 PM
08/26/24 06:13 PM
Maine
M
mainewoods Offline
trapper
mainewoods  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by T-Rex
All I can say is: People come on here asking a question that can't be answered and accuse the rest of us to be stupid for not knowing what they expect us of to say.

Nope.
We didn't come on here asking a question that can't be answered. And we didn't call anyone stupid. Many are acting like jerks for sure. When I first moved out here, I was baffled by the sound of a grouse, so I googled it for weeks. I FOUND AN ANSWER. This sound, I couldn't find an answer for, so I joined Cathryn in asking. What was the response? I was treaded like a stupid lunatic and mocked for wondering what the sound was. No answers, just accused of believing in bigfoot and aliens, simply because they never heard the sound before...and obviously, if they never heard the sound before it is an "unanswerable question" and you must put words in the mouth of the person who asked a question and accuse them of believing it's something they never said or believed.

Last edited by mainewoods; 08/26/24 07:09 PM.
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: midlander] #8203747
08/26/24 06:20 PM
08/26/24 06:20 PM
Maine
M
mainewoods Offline
trapper
mainewoods  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by midlander
Originally Posted by Researcher
I'm primarily researching what makes the knocks as they appear on my recording. Whether or not that's a respectable or non respectable goal to someone matters not. The rest is complicated. When 20,000 people descend on Bigfoot festival in a small town called Sutton in West Virginia- population 840- one has to wonder how big of a sham the Bigfoot subject is. 50,000 in Logan, Ohio? So my ultimate goal is the truth of what gives. The creature is either real or not- opinions notwithstanding. I have emailed the Dept. of Agriculture, USFS, and the USFWS for the answer.

As far as I know, no other so-called Sasquatch "researcher" or high-profile Bigfoot influencer, on TV or otherwise, has done that. I'm after an official statement on which side of the coin the truth lies. Real or not real? I want that answer and won't stop until I get it. The issue is all doors are closed and all avenues so far have been dead ends. The other issue is, no matter which way it goes, the truth will cost someone a huge pile of money which is why, so far, the OFFICIAL truth has not been forthcoming.

I am not a believer. Nor am I a non-believer. Because I am an adult, I am a seeker of the truth which, in my mind and world, is an official statement to the public on what the reality is.

Using that logic, Paul Bunyon must be real based on town festivals in different parts of the country...heck, even leprechauns must exist because a town near me has a huge festival each year on st pattys day. I also suspect you are far from the first researcher to seek official answers or documents from government agencies ref bigfoot. Dont mean to sound harsh, just a bit of a realist on these matters. Could a yet-to-be discovered fish be living 4 miles deep in the ocean...yep. could an 8 foot bipedal hairy creature be living in north america...heck, living in nearly all 50 states based on 'sightings', without a skeleton or carcass located after all these decades and centuries of folk lore....nope.

However, it sounds like this quest keeps you active and entertained, and for that, I hope you keep it up.

Once again, there seems to be zero reading comprehension around here...

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: yotetrapper30] #8203749
08/26/24 06:23 PM
08/26/24 06:23 PM
Maine
M
mainewoods Offline
trapper
mainewoods  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I just find it odd everyone swears there couldn't be a HUMAN in the woods, but find it believable a sasquatch could be. If a 'squatch could be there, why couldn't a person?

AAANNND again...zero reading comprehension. There are no people in my woods. And I never said there are bigfoot in my woods, because I don't believe they exist. I came here asking what ANIMAL made that sound. I keep being accused of calling anyone here stupid when I never did. But now...

Last edited by mainewoods; 08/26/24 07:06 PM.
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8203820
08/26/24 08:03 PM
08/26/24 08:03 PM
WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI
Well, if it ain't people or it ain't squatch, it ain't life threatening. You should have gone looking for it

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: mainewoods] #8203826
08/26/24 08:09 PM
08/26/24 08:09 PM
WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by mainewoods

.... I didn't realize so many adults in these places were still so childish. It literally is like being in a room full of 7 year olds, so now I can see why they would be afraid.
Close enough to stupid for me.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: mainewoods] #8203850
08/26/24 08:30 PM
08/26/24 08:30 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I just find it odd everyone swears there couldn't be a HUMAN in the woods, but find it believable a sasquatch could be. If a 'squatch could be there, why couldn't a person?

AAANNND again...zero reading comprehension. There are no people in my woods. And I never said there are bigfoot in my woods, because I don't believe they exist. I came here asking what ANIMAL made that sound. I keep being accused of calling anyone here stupid when I never did. But now...

Looks like she was making a general statement and not calling your name out in particular (reading comprehension) crazy

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: mainewoods] #8203928
08/26/24 09:53 PM
08/26/24 09:53 PM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Originally Posted by T-Rex
All I can say is: People come on here asking a question that can't be answered and accuse the rest of us to be stupid for not knowing what they expect us of to say.

Nope.
We didn't come on here asking a question that can't be answered. And we didn't call anyone stupid. Many are acting like jerks for sure. When I first moved out here, I was baffled by the sound of a grouse, so I googled it for weeks. I FOUND AN ANSWER. This sound, I couldn't find an answer for, so I joined Cathryn in asking. What was the response? I was treaded like a stupid lunatic and mocked for wondering what the sound was. No answers, just accused of believing in bigfoot and aliens, simply because they never heard the sound before...and obviously, if they never heard the sound before it is an "unanswerable question" and you must put words in the mouth of the person who asked a question and accuse them of believing it's something they never said or believed.

No need to get your pantyhose in a knot. Lots of opinions on here, youre gonna need thicker skin to survive on this site. smile

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: mainewoods] #8203951
08/26/24 10:38 PM
08/26/24 10:38 PM
Maine
R
Researcher Offline
trapper
Researcher  Offline
trapper
R

Maine
Thank you for that Researcher! I actually hear that sound as well and always assumed it was gunshots. I hear that every few weeks out here. It's the closest to the sound we heard, but not quite it. It had more of a deeper "thud" or boom sound, and it was the exact same sound three times within 5 or 6 seconds.

Any ideas on what you were recording if it wasn't gunshots?

Any ideas I might have, real-world or not, would need some kind of proof to back it up. I have none. The knock-type sounds ARE real world, however, since the recording documents them but, so far, I can't really match them to anything that I am familiar with. Not trying to sound obtuse here, I just don't have an answer. I only posted to see if this was, or is close to, what you heard.

Last edited by Researcher; 08/26/24 10:44 PM.
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8203966
08/26/24 11:04 PM
08/26/24 11:04 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Online crying
"Wilbur"
Savell  Online Crying
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
[Linked Image]

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8203971
08/26/24 11:13 PM
08/26/24 11:13 PM
Maine
R
Researcher Offline
trapper
Researcher  Offline
trapper
R

Maine
What I can say is that I'm planning to go back to that location (again, solo) and try to repeat exactly what I did when I was there. Including the time of day. If I get the same results then I may be able to at least have a bit more data to back up any hypotheses? Science is all about running an experiment in an effort to obtain a repeatable result. That would seem to be the next logical step to take anyway.

Re: 3 knocks in the woods? Help [Re: cathryn] #8203972
08/26/24 11:16 PM
08/26/24 11:16 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
anyone got Cliff Notes on this one???? 9 pages is past my pee brain. BUT/..And I was hoping to enlighten you all.

A Chicken in Black.......
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread