Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Coyote territories boundaries #7545414
03/31/22 09:59 PM
03/31/22 09:59 PM
western md,south central Pa.
H
huntmd94 Offline OP
trapper
huntmd94  Offline OP
trapper
H

Trying to be more efficient on my coyote line. Does anyone have any thoughts on what makes up a territory boundary? I can see the hard lines such as a river,a major road and even larger ridges and valleys. But how about the others. For instance most of our major ridges run north to south and extend for miles. If the ridge itself is mostly forested and that ridge is a east or west boundary, is there anything I could look for that might suggest a north or south boundary?

pa trappers association,maryland furtakers
Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: huntmd94] #7545422
03/31/22 10:07 PM
03/31/22 10:07 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Some of the studies I've read on urban coyotes do show some of those geographic "hard" edges they also showed overlap and shared areas and even different groups sharing travel corridors.
But I've long suspected well fed city coyotes have less conflict than their country cousins.

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: huntmd94] #7545455
03/31/22 10:44 PM
03/31/22 10:44 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
If you can spare the time, right now (this time of year) will tell you more about territorial boundaries than maps will. Dusk on a quiet evening here will have one coyote sending out his boundary to any other one listening. They are paired and getting real close to mom's due date so the males do not want anyone else raiding any of their grocery stores. Have little experience with urban coyotes but am guessing they still sing their intensions and challenges to others like their country cousins. Find a hill to listen from and as they communicate,,,, try to estimate the distances between the calls. Move to another hill and see if they are still calling. DO NOT BE FOOLED into thinking 5 coyotes are calling at one spot! A coyote can make up to 7 different sounds (vocalizations) at 1 time so they are "gabby" creatures. Spend the shoe leather right now and you will get a handle on how far they can tolerate their neighbors. After the pups are born and become vocal (late August-September here), you will be hearing sub adults (sassy teenagers) and they seem to be all over the place. If you have the time, I encourage you to listen now. .......................... the mike

Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: huntmd94] #7545468
03/31/22 10:57 PM
03/31/22 10:57 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Anyone else just about given up on trying to figure anything at all about urban coyote behavior? Its like trying to figure out the behavior of a pack of wild dogs, or herd of house cats. All that I know for sure is that they go wherever the food is. That's it.
They will travel 20 miles a night and never take the same route. No such thing as a coyote trail.

Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: 52Carl] #7545516
04/01/22 12:16 AM
04/01/22 12:16 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Anyone else just about given up on trying to figure anything at all about coyote behavior? Its like trying to figure out the behavior of a pack of wild dogs, or herd of house cats. All that I know for sure is that they go wherever the food is. That's it.
They will travel 20 miles a night and never take the same route. No such thing as a coyote trail.

This is me!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: huntmd94] #7545664
04/01/22 08:17 AM
04/01/22 08:17 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I caught 13 within 1/2 mile of my house, shot 5 within 2 miles and now have 5 I can confirm as different coyotes on cams while testing lures a 1/2 mile from house. With the exception of keeping away from one's den when pups are there(which isn't during fur trapping) don't worry about territory boundaries. I don't believe they exist or are of any value. As stated before find the best food sources and trap them.

Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: Yes sir] #7545698
04/01/22 08:54 AM
04/01/22 08:54 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I caught 13 within 1/2 mile of my house, shot 5 within 2 miles and now have 5 I can confirm as different coyotes on cams while testing lures a 1/2 mile from house. With the exception of keeping away from one's den when pups are there(which isn't during fur trapping) don't worry about territory boundaries. I don't believe they exist or are of any value. As stated before find the best food sources and trap them.

I don't worry about boundaries much more than how many can I expect to catch on this property that would make my client satisfied. Or of it might make that task go quicker or easier.
Us urban coyote trappers are forever rolling that rock up the hill.

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: huntmd94] #7545760
04/01/22 10:22 AM
04/01/22 10:22 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Like 52carl mentioned....around here follow the food.

Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: huntmd94] #7545783
04/01/22 10:53 AM
04/01/22 10:53 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Rural aresa there might be more territories but for those part I think they aren't solid lines but more of a suggestion.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: 52Carl] #7545784
04/01/22 10:55 AM
04/01/22 10:55 AM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Anyone else just about given up on trying to figure anything at all about urban coyote behavior? Its like trying to figure out the behavior of a pack of wild dogs, or herd of house cats. All that I know for sure is that they go wherever the food is. That's it.
I completely agree with you that the coyotes will be where the prey is but I just as completely disagree that there is "no such thing as a coyote trail". Call them "trails" or "travel routes" in between hunting/prey areas, those are what I trap in the fall. Within the coyote's hunting area there most certainly are "coyote trails" that coyote use consistently and repeatedly, not deer trails, coyote trails. Blind trail setting these "trails" are my bread & butter in the winter.
I have a number of videos published on Youtube showing these trails and the results of blind setting them.

Last edited by Seldom; 04/01/22 10:56 AM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: Yes sir] #7545792
04/01/22 11:09 AM
04/01/22 11:09 AM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
With the exception of a core area, you’re not wrong….for some areas. Core areas are strictly off limits no matter where you are. The immediate area of a den. I used to not put much stock into territorial boundaries until I started moving around to different states. I’d say they are less obvious on the east coat and in heavily wooded regions. Not saying they aren’t there, just less obvious. As I moved from state to state, I found differing levels of territorial activity.

That said, I’ve seldom found a line that indicated “do not cross.” Boundaries are often blurry. Like an entire pasture. (Remember, a pasture out west can be several thousand acres). But I’ve also seen spots of no-man’s land in between what I thought were boundaries where coyotes seemed to not use the land.

Again, you’re not wrong but your experiences may not have brought you to where those boundaries are more defined yet.

I live in a unique location where I generally have 3 family groups within eyesight of my back porch. I watch them all summer and as long as they don’t come sniff my pee foxes, dogs, and chickens, we are good till they’re prime.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: huntmd94] #7545806
04/01/22 11:25 AM
04/01/22 11:25 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I wish everything down here was as described how it’s “supposed” to be elsewhere. Our coyotes may use a trail today and not again for another 6 months. And the only way you’d know that was either by actually seeing it using the trail or have cameras up. All I can do is set road intersections, burns next to standing cover, and high density rabbit cover. No tracks to be seen, or if you do find a set of tracks, it’s one set. I’ll set that and wait.

Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: Wanna Be] #7545828
04/01/22 12:00 PM
04/01/22 12:00 PM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I wish everything down here was as described how it’s “supposed” to be elsewhere..
I completely understand and I feel as you do with a lot of coyote-related postings here or on any trapping forum. Unless someone is trapping in my County and writing about their observations and experiences can I relate. There is only so much of the posted knowledge and/or observations that can be passed on that reflects objectively with what I deal with so it's just the way it is and I glean out what I can use.

This reply reminds me of the reason why I started publishing Youtube videos of my coyote trapping. I have a couple of friends, one lives downstate a good distance and the other lives and traps near LaGrange IN. Neither of these fellas have trapping properties/territory similar to me so I used my videos to show as best Im could the country I trap more so than I did the actual trapping! Farming practices are a lot smaller here and human population is a lot more crowded which made gaining permissions a chancy deal with either!

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: huntmd94] #7546158
04/01/22 07:47 PM
04/01/22 07:47 PM
H
huntmd94 Offline OP
trapper
huntmd94  Offline OP
trapper
H

I can understand urban coyotes being more restricted by cover and food availability but their country cousins don't face the same restrictions. Other than the occasional house or major roads they can pretty much roam wherever they choose. From my own observations they will filter through an area, hunting and scavenging along the way and move on , only to come back through sometime later. It could be a few days to weeks depending on what they find along the way. My catch rate is way higher where 2 packs home range overlap then it is in the dead center of 1 packs core territory.
I believe they spend more time on the perimeter of the range then they do deep inside. Whether it's just refreshing scent markers or patrolling fortrespassers. There is some overlap on these edges where both packs will leave their mark , which is why my set visitation numbers are much higher
I have one location where a N-S highway intersects a E-W highway. I average 8 every year on this 30 acres. Five miles west I have an excellent funnel where a corn field buts up against a major river. If I get set up on the cornfield/river location first, I catch 4-5 coyote and the other locations catch will go down the same number. If I set up the highway crossroads first I will not have any action at the river. No matter what I always catch the other 4-5 at the highway sight. This tells me it is a boundary and I am into 2 different packs at this site.
Maybe I'm overthinking this but the results over numerous years shows the same results. To me, my time is better spent at the location with more individual dogs and the time "wasted" at the cornfield/river spot would be better invested in finding another shared boundary.

Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: huntmd94] #7546181
04/01/22 08:21 PM
04/01/22 08:21 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
My 2 cents is ur over thinking it and imposing pre conceived ideas of territory boundaries on a good pinch point or good food supply. Highways provide a good amount of food. But I'm not in your aree to say for sure. I'm just not that big of a believer in territory boundaries during trapping season .

Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: Yes sir] #7546295
04/01/22 10:40 PM
04/01/22 10:40 PM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
My 2 cents is ur over thinking it and imposing pre conceived ideas of territory boundaries on a good pinch point or good food supply. Highways provide a good amount of food. But I'm not in your aree to say for sure. I'm just not that big of a believer in territory boundaries during trapping season.
Now that’s a different story. During trapping season, to me, means November through January for the most part. You won’t see the hardcore behavior like you will from denning till before dispersal. Totally different story.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: huntmd94] #7546347
04/02/22 12:40 AM
04/02/22 12:40 AM
H
huntmd94 Offline OP
trapper
huntmd94  Offline OP
trapper
H

If I was fur trapping it would be a different story. I would set the feed areas and pinch points for 2 weeks and move on. Landowners pay me to catch coyotes. Some locations I will have equipment on for 6 months. From about the first of February until pups disperse is a different ball game then early fall and the family break up.

Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: nate] #7546355
04/02/22 12:58 AM
04/02/22 12:58 AM
H
huntmd94 Offline OP
trapper
huntmd94  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by nate
I'm not sure this helps but I'm always looking for the exit and entry points which is travel ways/point to points but I've never trapped large urban areas. I feel the boundaries over lap except for a smaller core area.

I agree, there is a lot of overlap on the outer boundaries which is why I'm trying to identify those areas.
Just for the record, this area is definitely not urban. Very rural area with a mixture of mature forest, overgrown farm land and pasture.

Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: huntmd94] #7546437
04/02/22 06:55 AM
04/02/22 06:55 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
I'm positive about one thing for sure, I have both Urban and country coyotes on in my county. The urban coyotes are far less territorial than country coyotes. More food I believe is one reason. With less coyotes in the country, they have larger territories than when the populations are higher too. When you find a territorial marker with multiple scratch kicks you've found the shared boundry, most of the time its located on a travel corridor just outside thicker cover. Seldom is spot on, there certainly are coyote trails but it takes some looking. Some change over time some stay for decades. All ya need is a track...

Last edited by trappergbus; 04/02/22 06:56 AM.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Coyote territories boundaries [Re: trappergbus] #7546863
04/02/22 04:28 PM
04/02/22 04:28 PM
H
huntmd94 Offline OP
trapper
huntmd94  Offline OP
trapper
H

Thanks guys. That gives me somethings to think about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91