No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: Canvasback2] #7555305
04/11/22 04:11 PM
04/11/22 04:11 PM
mi. u.p
grapestomper Offline
trapper
grapestomper  Offline
trapper

mi. u.p
I went in to Dunhams to buy some turkey shells.
I looked at the boxes and laughed at the price. I think is was $46.00 for 5 shells.
Some kid salesman heard me laugh and tryed to embarass me in to buying them.
Told him you have a long way to go to embarass me and walked out.
Will use my pheasant loads and let my son use some duck loads for his 20ga.

Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: Canvasback2] #7555307
04/11/22 04:13 PM
04/11/22 04:13 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
[Linked Image]
I’m going to hunt me a turkey with a four hundred and 10 gauge super dooper plutonium turkey loads

Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: jbyrd63] #7555324
04/11/22 04:35 PM
04/11/22 04:35 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by jbyrd63

Our reloading equipment was set up on his work bench when I was 12 I was loading my own shells at 13 . Never had a reason to move it to my house but that may happen soon as he is 82. But for quick math purposes I'm 59 , started when I was 13 Hmm Got you by a few years there sonny. BUT I DON"T load everything. Just what I use and it works great . Haven't had the need to load anything in several years as I don't plink or tinker anymore. Found what is deadly at the ranges I hunt . Loaded up all the empties I had , Brass and hulls. Store them in a dark temp and humidity controlled safe . So I'm good.

That is great that you got to learn from your Dad. I had to learn on my own (Dad wasn't into reloading). I like to do alot of plinking so I do alot of reloading. Have for a long time. You can't stay good if you don't practice.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: Canvasback2] #7555326
04/11/22 04:39 PM
04/11/22 04:39 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Online content
"Brat"
coondagger2  Online Content
"Brat"
C

jbyrd, believe it or not I've got about 10 grand in nothing but test results from actually shooting this stuff through a ballistics test barrel. I've shot quite a bit of ballistics gel too. I've done more shotshell testing and loading in the last week than you have done in your umpteen years of loading. My 410 turkey load travels at a higher velocity than your 3" 12ga turkey load does, guaranteed. I would try to explain the relation of chamber pressures to hull volumes and shot column height but I truly think it would go over your head.

Just because you can't understand it doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to use it. I find it funny how every single person talking junk about small guns and TSS has never shot TSS in their life.

Now, while you are on the couch this evening I'm going to go kill a turkey with my little incapable gun grin

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: Canvasback2] #7555333
04/11/22 04:45 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
I tried but I honestly can't follow who is saying what in this thread anymore smile So - as a proponent of the stuff after stumbling into it - here's my session from last year. Highly recommend for those willing to try. Nothing wrong with doing it the prior way either. It'll all kill em dead if you did your job.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,100709.0.html

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: jbyrd63] #7555335
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa

I understand that tungsten is denser than lead from the material aspect. But the point They seem to keep making is number of pellets on target . Thus denser pattern.

The point that we have been making is that the #9 tss shot will penetrate the same as #4 lead. The smaller shot gives you more pellets in the load thus a denser pattern. More pellets in a 20" circle at 40 yards leaves fewer places for the head and neck to be that will not get hit. Thus a much lower chance of wounding the bird.

Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: Canvasback2] #7555337
04/11/22 04:47 PM
04/11/22 04:47 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
I can explain it to you.
But I can't understand it for you...

Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: DaYooper14] #7555340
04/11/22 04:48 PM
04/11/22 04:48 PM
C
"Brat"
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by DaYooper14
I tried but I honestly can't follow who is saying what in this thread anymore smile So - as a proponent of the stuff after stumbling into it - here's my session from last year. Highly recommend for those willing to try. Nothing wrong with doing it the prior way either. It'll all kill em dead if you did your job.

Looks great. Love to see guys patterning their guns and getting the most out of them to ensure a clean kill. Good on ya!

Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: DaYooper14] #7555349
04/11/22 04:59 PM
04/11/22 04:59 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by DaYooper14

That is good. Sometimes it takes some shooting to find out what the gun likes. If you don't mind me asking, who did you get the load from? I have been shooting Hals and shooters.

Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: Canvasback2] #7555357
04/11/22 05:13 PM
04/11/22 05:13 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Interesting thread. Makes me want to get a new shotgun. My old wingmaster 12 has killed a few turkeys. I just use old steel shot from when I duck hunted. 4’s I believe. It used to be a 30’ full choke barrel but I had a gunsmith cut 2” off it and reinstall the bead when I was a kid. Everyone said the steel would pattern better…it did. Great out to 30-40 yards. Now you guys are using.410 out past that….very cool. Awesome pattern too.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: coondagger2] #7555365
04/11/22 05:22 PM
04/11/22 05:22 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by coondagger2
jbyrd, believe it or not I've got about 10 grand in nothing but test results from actually shooting this stuff through a ballistics test barrel. I've shot quite a bit of ballistics gel too. I've done more shotshell testing and loading in the last week than you have done in your umpteen years of loading. My 410 turkey load travels at a higher velocity than your 3" 12ga turkey load does, guaranteed. I would try to explain the relation of chamber pressures to hull volumes and shot column height but I truly think it would go over your head.

Just because you can't understand it doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to use it. I find it funny how every single person talking junk about small guns and TSS has never shot TSS in their life.

Now, while you are on the couch this evening I'm going to go kill a turkey with my little incapable gun grin

Oh I can assure you I know quite abit about chamber pressures and velocities. Do me a favor since I don't have any tss shot. Load a 12 gauge with the exact some amount of shot in it that is in your 410. Use red dot , PB 571 ball powder anything you have on hand. Put the equivilante to a standard 2 3/4 in high brass shot shell. Ballistic that load and see where your kiddy scatter gun stands. Will the pattern be tighter on the koolaid cannon ? If not wrap it around a tree since it's coming out of a hole 1/2 the size

Hey koolaid cannon good name for the 410 turkey .
Yes I'm om the coach as it's storming and season doesn't come in til sat . Post pics Love to see them

Last edited by jbyrd63; 04/11/22 07:39 PM.
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: bhugo] #7555369
04/11/22 05:28 PM
04/11/22 05:28 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by bhugo
Interesting thread. Makes me want to get a new shotgun. My old wingmaster 12 has killed a few turkeys. I just use old steel shot from when I duck hunted. 4’s I believe. It used to be a 30’ full choke barrel but I had a gunsmith cut 2” off it and reinstall the bead when I was a kid. Everyone said the steel would pattern better…it did. Great out to 30-40 yards. Now you guys are using.410 out past that….very cool. Awesome pattern too.

That's all I use is my duck steel shot loads

Nevada bound
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: Canvasback2] #7555371
04/11/22 05:29 PM
04/11/22 05:29 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by white17

First of all, I have never missed a turkey. I haven't killed a lot but have killed every one with one shot. All lead, 20 gauge. Longest shot 37 yards.

But my real point here is to say....jbyrd, you may be confusing terms here. The density of shot....whether TSS or lead or steel........is not the same thing as the density of the pattern.

Just hoping for some clarification.

Don't you gentlemen go trying to interject math and physics into the equation.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: Jerry Jr.] #7555381
04/11/22 05:34 PM
04/11/22 05:34 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.

I understand that tungsten is denser than lead from the material aspect. But the point They seem to keep making is number of pellets on target . Thus denser pattern.

The point that we have been making is that the #9 tss shot will penetrate the same as #4 lead. The smaller shot gives you more pellets in the load thus a denser pattern. More pellets in a 20" circle at 40 yards leaves fewer places for the head and neck to be that will not get hit. Thus a much lower chance of wounding the bird.

There is that pesky math again. If someone is confused read this and understand it. I am going to interject one of them five dollar words, paradigm shifts are hard to make. I don't hunt turkeys, we have them but it's not my thing so I have zero dog in this hunt.

In case anyone cares, I use a .243 or 25-06 for deer. I do have a couple of them new fangled modern sporting rifles I am playing with though.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: Canvasback2] #7555392
04/11/22 05:42 PM
04/11/22 05:42 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Just bought a ten round box Winchester Double X ,12 gauge-3"- 1 3/4 oz #5s copper plated lead for $12.99 kills turkers just fine.Got them at Walmart.

Last edited by upstateNY; 04/11/22 06:01 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: Bruce T] #7555490
04/11/22 07:05 PM
04/11/22 07:05 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by Bruce T
Originally Posted by bhugo

That's all I use is my duck steel shot loads

I still have a ton from the 80s and 90s. I used to do a lot of duck hunting. High brass 4 mostly, some bb and 2 from goose hunting. Works great for most needs. Use the bb for coyote hunting a few times. All 2 3/4 mags.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: coondagger2] #7555539
04/11/22 08:01 PM
04/11/22 08:01 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky

I doubt that In the late 70"s I was a grey fox killing machine. (50 plus each year riding a bike qualifies) I spent hundreds of hours loading testing and icing my scrawny shoulder. My ballistics test range? The side of a barn and a full size sheet of newspaper. Proving ground? fox hunting with a dog , watching a den right at dark, and using a caller right at daylight. Pound for pound the gray fox is one of the toughest critters to kill period. (in ky) Forget the buck shots . ANY SIZES to many holes in the patterns for a fox to slip thru. 2 3/4 in was all we had. A magnum load of 571 pushing a 1 3/8 load of number 2 LEAD was death out to 60 yards EVERYTIME. # 4 was aclose second.
But you koolaid cannon masters might not be old enough to remember the epa forcing duck hunters to go to steel. There are TONS of ballistics and data and magazine articles on how and WHY lead is deadlier than steel.
SO adding a T in front of the word steel don't change that . I AM NOT SAYING tungsten won't kill. Just saying it's is the "new Koolaid arsenal in the hunting game. You still haven't mention ONE BIG thing I found out quick about BB's copper plated and plain steel. The pattern will glide drift what ever term you want to use. IF you are shooting past 25 yards. IT HAPPENS . You really see it shooting an unfolded newspaper. Most of my patterns were done at 35 yards for a starting point. PLUS not all guns pattern the same as you know. I have a 870 wingmaster with a straight modified 28 in barrel that holds a better pattern of #2 than some of the full chokes we tested.(lLess shot deformation) Between me and the 4 other guys I loaded for we tested 7 shot guns. All 12 gauge. Browning semi auto. My single barrel and 870. Reminton 1100, & 1187, Winchester Ranger , side by side Remington DB. 1187 and my single barrel were the best ones that held the pattern out to 60 yards. Yes at 33 others would put more pellets in the kill zone. But the single barrel was eaiser to carry for a 13 year old kid on a bike.....

Last edited by jbyrd63; 04/11/22 08:08 PM.
Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: jbyrd63] #7555550
04/11/22 08:09 PM
04/11/22 08:09 PM
C
"Brat"
"Brat"
C

might not be old enough to remember the epa forcing duck hunters to go to steel. There are TONS of ballistics and data and magazine articles on how and WHY lead is deadlier than steel.
SO adding a T in front of the word steel don't change that . I AM NOT SAYING tungsten won't kill. Just saying it's is the "new Koolaid arsenal in the hunting game.

Hahahahahahah. Jbyrd you have got to be kidding me. TSS has nothing to do with steel shot confused there is no steel in tss shot

I completely agree that lead shot way outperforms steel shot. This is due to the DENSITY of the shot, as you’ve been told repeatedly. TSS is more dense than lead, so just as lead is better than steel, tss is better than lead.

The only thing more dense than TSS shot is that thing between your ears!

Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: coondagger2] #7555564
04/11/22 08:17 PM
04/11/22 08:17 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
might not be old enough to remember the epa forcing duck hunters to go to steel. There are TONS of ballistics and data and magazine articles on how and WHY lead is deadlier than steel.
SO adding a T in front of the word steel don't change that . I AM NOT SAYING tungsten won't kill. Just saying it's is the "new Koolaid arsenal in the hunting game.

Hahahahahahah. Jbyrd you have got to be kidding me. TSS has nothing to do with steel shot confused there is no steel in tss shot

I completely agree that lead shot way outperforms steel shot. This is due to the DENSITY of the shot, as you’ve been told repeatedly. TSS is more dense than lead, so just as lead is better than steel, tss is better than lead.

The only thing more dense than TSS shot is that thing between your ears!

Tungsten is to lead as lead is to steel.
Get it?
Didn't think so...

Re: What's going on with Shotgun Ammo now ? 5 rds [Re: Canvasback2] #7555569
04/11/22 08:22 PM
04/11/22 08:22 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
You are so right . I'm stupid for engaging with someone with far superior knowledge and experience. What was I thinking. You proved your intelligence when you made the statement that you had invested 10,000 dollars is ballistic equipment to test a 410 shot gun !!! I hope when I grow up I can kill my turkeys as dead as yours are with the koolaid cannon. You got me wanting to sell all my 12 gauges and start hunting with an air rifle.
But nah I'll keep them.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread