ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Cold weather mole trapping #7560821
04/16/22 09:47 PM
04/16/22 09:47 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
Getting There  Offline OP
trapper
G

West Michigan
Man has it been cold in West Michigan so far this year. Have had mole trap set out and getting a lot of the trap dug under.
The mole are moving around some but not like when it is warm. Cold most nights 26 to 42 degrees at night. Lots of rain.
Just never have had this many traps dug under, I am using Steve's traps along with No-mole. Is this happening in your area?

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Cold weather mole trapping [Re: Getting There] #7561256
04/17/22 10:46 AM
04/17/22 10:46 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I don't use any no mole traps so I can't speak from experience with those traps. I get the occasional dig under with the trapline traps but not many. When I get in a hurry is always when this happens to me. I then know to get back to basics and slow down.

I do know that most all problems that trappers have using the Trapline traps is selecting poor trap set up tunnels, poor bedding and poor tunnel alignment. Some tend to set the traps too quickly and fail to ensure good placement and compressing the trap bottom frame and jaws into the soil well enough.

If a mole encounters what is perceived as a slight obstruction in his tunnel his natural instinct is to dig under the trap.

Mole's tunnel and dig, and forage for a living. They don't want to fight with an obstruction anymore then you wanting to walk thru a thick blackberry patch. They avoid it by digging under it.

Frosting shallow soil can sometimes affect the dirt by pushing the trap slightly up which is what frost does. This action can move the trap up and out of its set position thru an act of nature. Not sure if this is the problem you are experiencing.

Re: Cold weather mole trapping [Re: Getting There] #7561593
04/17/22 05:16 PM
04/17/22 05:16 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
When my sets don’t work I usually have to stop and go over everything step at a time. I figure I got lazy somewhere, my set is off.

Re: Cold weather mole trapping [Re: Getting There] #7561696
04/17/22 07:05 PM
04/17/22 07:05 PM
Reed City, Michigan
W
WPS Offline
trapper
WPS  Offline
trapper
W

Reed City, Michigan
Getting There,
I have been crazy busy this last week with moles here in Osceola County and Wexford County (Michigan). I only use Steve's traps... I'd just check your setup, has to be something simple.
David
Wildlife Pro Services
Reed City, MI

David Belden, WCO
Wildlife Pro Services
Re: Cold weather mole trapping [Re: Getting There] #7561778
04/17/22 08:58 PM
04/17/22 08:58 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
Getting There  Offline OP
trapper
G

West Michigan
Thanks guys, it was very cold the day I set the trap and my hands were ice cold. I stopped and warmed them up a couple of times.
Not getting a good feel of the trap could have been the problem.
Thanks again!

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Cold weather mole trapping [Re: Getting There] #7562019
04/18/22 06:55 AM
04/18/22 06:55 AM
Missouri
T
Tony H Offline
trapper
Tony H  Offline
trapper
T

Missouri
Get a long handled spoon and make sure you’ve cleared out of the dirt that has funneled back down each side of the tunnel when you initially open the tunnel. Also as stated above placement and bedding is key, as is being sure not to disrupt the traps as you backfill or lay the sod back over the tunnel.

Other option is to learn how to use a quality scissor trap. Dig unders are far less common with scissor traps. Old Victors or Talpex would be a good start.

I exclusively used Steves traps for years but then switched to the scissor. Setting and checking traps is much faster for me. YMMV. Good luck!

Last edited by Tony H; 04/18/22 07:01 AM.

Need mole traps? Check out my website at www.molereapertraps.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread