Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 61 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 60 61
Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7575701
05/03/22 08:50 AM
05/03/22 08:50 AM
Central Texas
C
Centex Trapper Offline
trapper
Centex Trapper  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
Right on. This forum is a great source for information, tactics. But it really shines in making me think about my trap line and animals.

My advice to anyone on this forum is to take what you like and apply it to your area, and leave the rest. There are no absolutes in trapping.

There is a little bit of arguing, back and forth. There are a few sore-heads. But most are generous with their experiences and information. Those are the ones to listen to. Thank you trappers. You know who you are.

The smart trappers will use ANY and EVERY trick they find. I have learned so much on this thread in particular.

Bridges Predator Control
Serving Central Texas
Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7575802
05/03/22 11:32 AM
05/03/22 11:32 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Good advice Centex.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7576360
05/04/22 08:23 AM
05/04/22 08:23 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
The big producers go to where there's lots of coyotes, so the greed factor is epic. If you trap where the populations are lower variation in set types and attractors pays off big time. Besides that, I get bored doing the same thing over and over. For myself every set is a work of art that we create to fool the coyote, no two are alike. Your imagination is the only limit. Ounce you learn the animal it all makes sense. With less coyotes and less permission to trap on you have to squeeze the lemon. I trap for fur with a control trappers' attitude. I've studied the coyote since the first arrived here, still a ton to learn. That's the magic!

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7576465
05/04/22 10:53 AM
05/04/22 10:53 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I think your 100 percent correct, when it comes to coyotes you never quite learn it all as they are probably the smartest predator we face. When it comes to trapping I never put all my eggs in one basket. I never use just dp’s when dealing with coon , 160’s in trails , 220’s in boxes and even a 1.5 in a trail or a pocket. With beaver in my area that is made up of a network of creeks and drainage ditches, it seems like they show up educated. If you go at them with one type of trap or set construction you will find yourself humbled very quickly. I use 2 types of sets for coyotes unless you count all the variations then it would seem more like 5 or 6 lol.
All of that being said I use a lot of different flat sets and 3 types of dirt holes . Yet my dirt holes seem to out perform all others . Yes I have confidence in the dirt holes but I can’t help but think it’s more than just confidence. If so many of you think the flat set is far superior to the dirt hole then maybe I need to work harder on perfecting the flat set. Maybe I’m a little off in my trap placement or maybe it’s the urine or lure placement. The other side of the coin would be that you folks that are not having any luck with dirt holes are doing something wrong , lol I’m not trying to pick a fight here and I mean that. I would love to be more productive but I can’t catch more coyotes than what my area will produce . Last year I was out of coyotes by Christmas, I can’t catch what’s not there. I’ve been at this for over 50 years and over 30 years of it has been geared toward coyotes. I still get asked to trap a few beaver and coon every year . And it should be stated that I don’t keep notes, that being said it’s pretty easy to remember that I set 3 traps at each location at the beginning of season . One flat set , one dirt hole and maybe a different dirt hole or a toy ( pipe ) set and yet it’s pretty easy to say two thirds of my catches come from dirt hole sets while maybe 20 percent come from a pipe set. I should point out that the pipe accounts for close to 20 percent of my catch it is only about 50 percent on the first approach by a coyote.
Have I had coyotes approach dirt holes without a catch the first time ? Yes but it’s probably less than 10 percent of the time , it is almost 100 percent affective when it’s a double dirt hole. I’m not trying to brag about my double dirt hole I’m trying to figure out why one third of my sets are flat sets but they don’t account for one third of my catch ?

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: Golf ball] #7576510
05/04/22 11:53 AM
05/04/22 11:53 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Golf ball
I think your 100 percent correct, when it comes to coyotes you never quite learn it all as they are probably the smartest predator we face. When it comes to trapping I never put all my eggs in one basket. I never use just dp’s when dealing with coon , 160’s in trails , 220’s in boxes and even a 1.5 in a trail or a pocket. With beaver in my area that is made up of a network of creeks and drainage ditches, it seems like they show up educated. If you go at them with one type of trap or set construction you will find yourself humbled very quickly. I use 2 types of sets for coyotes unless you count all the variations then it would seem more like 5 or 6 lol.
All of that being said I use a lot of different flat sets and 3 types of dirt holes . Yet my dirt holes seem to out perform all others . Yes I have confidence in the dirt holes but I can’t help but think it’s more than just confidence. If so many of you think the flat set is far superior to the dirt hole then maybe I need to work harder on perfecting the flat set. Maybe I’m a little off in my trap placement or maybe it’s the urine or lure placement. The other side of the coin would be that you folks that are not having any luck with dirt holes are doing something wrong , lol I’m not trying to pick a fight here and I mean that. I would love to be more productive but I can’t catch more coyotes than what my area will produce . Last year I was out of coyotes by Christmas, I can’t catch what’s not there. I’ve been at this for over 50 years and over 30 years of it has been geared toward coyotes. I still get asked to trap a few beaver and coon every year . And it should be stated that I don’t keep notes, that being said it’s pretty easy to remember that I set 3 traps at each location at the beginning of season . One flat set , one dirt hole and maybe a different dirt hole or a toy ( pipe ) set and yet it’s pretty easy to say two thirds of my catches come from dirt hole sets while maybe 20 percent come from a pipe set. I should point out that the pipe accounts for close to 20 percent of my catch it is only about 50 percent on the first approach by a coyote.
Have I had coyotes approach dirt holes without a catch the first time ? Yes but it’s probably less than 10 percent of the time , it is almost 100 percent affective when it’s a double dirt hole. I’m not trying to brag about my double dirt hole I’m trying to figure out why one third of my sets are flat sets but they don’t account for one third of my catch ?

Golf ball,
My experiences and success with flat sets vs dirtholes are identical to yours.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7576518
05/04/22 12:00 PM
05/04/22 12:00 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
GB, you bring out some good points. I think everyone has a little variation to how they set. Distance, guiding, and size of hole seems to make a difference from what I observed. For example, I've tried to match some successful guys sets in the past and noticed misses. So I adjusted things to what I observed and have come to be very successful for my style and what works for me but maybe not others. When using bigger dirt holes like some of the guys you mentioned, I seen more misses and the coyotes not coming in as close than when I used a smaller hole. Perhaps the remedy would be just to move the trap farther back.

I also applied what studies suggested. That a coyote will approach the set from the downwind side at a 45 degree angle 9 out of 10 times. So I never blocked the sides down. For the most part that is true but I started seeing some misses where the coyote would come in at a parallel or almost 90 degree approach and be stepping in front of the pan. So I started putting a small dirt clods or pieces of scat about a 1" out and down from dirt holes and that pretty much eliminated that. I'll be honest, I still have times when they miss the pan or go in from the back side but not like I use to before I made adjustments to my set making. So I believe it's the little nuances each of us do but not really noticeable to others that makes our sets successful for us.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7577322
05/05/22 10:24 AM
05/05/22 10:24 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I will have to give credit where credit is due. I think I read in these pages that the angle of the hole dictates trap placement. When I first read this I was putting a trap out front and half the time the trap was up wind . I still caught coyotes but when you put a trap 10” 12” or even 14” out from a hole that is from 10 to 45 degrees into a small hill side , let’s just say it leaves a lot of room for misses. I would like to say that I read about the angle of the hole having a direct affect on trap placement and it changed my way of doing things. It didn’t ! I’m a little hard headed sometimes. What it took was a couple more years of pheasant hunting. Yea at the time my son and I had a pretty good little bird dog and we hunted just about every weekend . The little dog was good enough that we got invited to hunt all over 2 countries. While trekking all over some good pheasant ground I kept finding parts of both pheasant and rabbits and bits that I could not identify in shallow holes. These holes were not all that noticeable, sometimes not big enough to completely hide the contents. Sometimes the holes would be 5” wide sometimes 8” but always strait down . These holes were fairly consistent in depth , about 8” at most but the one thing I noticed was they always went strait down .
I hate to say it but I was still putting an angle on my dirt holes but by now I was also using a cachet set with a piece of deer liver. Yea you guessed it , I dug them in at an angle too. It wasn’t until I started using an auger to make holes that I had this great idea to put my hole in almost strait up and down . Wow I can’t believe the difference it made . Now a coyote needs to put his feet right up close to the hole to put his nose in the hole . It didn’t take me too long to figure out where to put my trap .
Today on a single dirt hole the angle is about 80 to 85* and my trap is nearly touching the hole with a little offset to the left. Is it 100 % ? No but it’s a lot more affective than the way I used to do things . Some will say it’s not natural to dig a hole strait down , I say it is from what I’ve seen .
I hope what I’ve written here helps someone out , now if someone can get my straitened or on the flat set it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Go slow it only took me a few years to see the error or should I say angle of my ways.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7577353
05/05/22 11:10 AM
05/05/22 11:10 AM
South Texas Brush Country
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

Next are a few garden variety hole sets from 17-18 . The set photo is followed by location.

The routine was bait down the hole with lure and urine in or on the backing.

This look performed better than the three inch version and was much easier to guard.

Pan placement was around eight inches straight out from the hole.

This spacing and alignment worked well for this look.

1½” Auger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1½” Punch

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1½” Punch

[Linked Image]

Coyotes were running the smooth track just to the left of the set.

[Linked Image]

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7577379
05/05/22 11:57 AM
05/05/22 11:57 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I would think around here anyway that any coyote around would have to at least mark that . If they are not shy of it I can’t help but think that set could double as a walk through.

Last picture anyway .

Last edited by Golf ball; 05/05/22 11:58 AM.
Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7577409
05/05/22 01:11 PM
05/05/22 01:11 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I would have a few marking scent placement objects that would stand out along that roadway with other lured and baited sets. I am with golf ball on their urge to mark along most any travel way. Those types of sets are very effective if placed and developed well. You must be subtle with your scent amount used.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7577561
05/05/22 07:04 PM
05/05/22 07:04 PM
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
I would have a few marking scent placement objects that would stand out along that roadway with other lured and baited sets.

I must admit Mr. Jameson that I didn’t incorporate many of those types of sets on my line at that time.

I have to go back to the 17-18 season to even find hole set photos for illustration.

Like a lot of trappers, I only had confidence in what I was familiar with and what had worked well in the past.

I was going to keep feeding them hole sets as long as they would keep hitting them. Shortly after I made that statement they showed me the error of my ways.

The last set photo was short line of ten to twelve traps that were all hole sets. They took around fifteen coyotes off a stretch about a quarter of a mile long.

That was around the same time I realized that Wile E. was catching on to hole sets of any type.

I didn’t switch from the DH set on my own accord. The coyotes forced me to change if I wanted to stay productive.

That is when I went to the blind trail and flat set.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7577599
05/05/22 07:56 PM
05/05/22 07:56 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I don’t have a recent picture that shows what my landscape looks like. [Linked Image]
This kinda sums up why I can’t use blind trail sets, lol no trails . This old guy is a casualty of a flat set ( urine on a stump ) that sat for a month without a visit. He is one of the few coyotes I’ve ever caught that really tried to eat me as I worked to get Lee’s hammer around his neck .

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7577607
05/05/22 08:03 PM
05/05/22 08:03 PM
central Illinois
yoteguts Offline
trapper
yoteguts  Offline
trapper

central Illinois
Nice old grumpy male Don!
This the kind of landscape pic your looking for Don? No trails just mud that freezes at night.

[Linked Image]

I'm itchin' to see a coyote twitchin'.

More trappin' and less yappin'.

Member FTA & USSA.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7577650
05/05/22 08:40 PM
05/05/22 08:40 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Got mud ? Looks like an ad for Mark Zaggers Rob . Yea you know what I’m talking about, I did get to see the type of trails these fellas are talking about when I was down in Kansas. Looked like the cows retired and the coyotes took over.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7578086
05/06/22 09:54 AM
05/06/22 09:54 AM
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

Yote and Golf, do you guys have a lot of deer in the areas you trap in?

The vast majority of my blind sets are made on deer trails.

Some of my best locations for BT sets are game trails that run through open pastures.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7578144
05/06/22 11:52 AM
05/06/22 11:52 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by TEJAS

Yote and Golf, do you guys have a lot of deer in the areas you trap in?

The vast majority of my blind sets are made on deer trails.

Some of my best locations for BT sets are game trails that run through open pastures.

Do you did anything to try and keep the deer from tripping the traps?

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7578351
05/06/22 04:24 PM
05/06/22 04:24 PM
central Illinois
yoteguts Offline
trapper
yoteguts  Offline
trapper

central Illinois
Tons of deer here. Rarely do I get to trap a pasture. Most of my line is grass strips such as two tracks, crop changes and water ways. These areas are the only cover other than elevation changes on most of my line. I seek out areas away from deer to avoid the hunters not so much the deer. Lol trails are a rare thing here but some do exist and are usually set.
Once the fields are worked and the rain comes I believe the vast majority of prey is found in these grassy areas. Hawks seem to hit these areas hard which tells me there is food there and the yotes will follow. The hardest thing here is the weather freezing mud is hard to keep operating in. Thank goodness for waxed dirt.
If you have an elevation change and a setable location it’s a dead yote walking.

Member FTA & USSA.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7578355
05/06/22 04:31 PM
05/06/22 04:31 PM
central Illinois
yoteguts Offline
trapper
yoteguts  Offline
trapper

central Illinois
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Member FTA & USSA.

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7578584
05/06/22 08:26 PM
05/06/22 08:26 PM
TEJAS Offline OP
trapper
TEJAS  Offline OP
trapper

Yote , I thought you fellas had more timber to go with those agricultural fields.

I have seen the photos out of your shootin’shack many times but I didn’t realize your country was that open.

It looks like those grass buffers are where everything would naturally gravitate to.

Dry round looks to be in short supply out there to say the least.

It appears you don’t necessarily set where you want to as much as where you can.

Are there not a lot of old fencerows or tree lines out that way, or are the fields so big they are off in the distance?

Re: COYOTE CARNAGE – SOUTH TEXAS BRUSH COUNTRY [Re: TEJAS] #7578740
05/06/22 10:49 PM
05/06/22 10:49 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
The photos of mud look much more familiar!
Trapping for mudballs.

Running a line where it is usually dry and above freezing for a few weeks would be a fantasy!
I need to go on an adventure.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Page 24 of 61 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 60 61
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91