No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7332478
08/17/21 03:49 PM
KY
I
ILcooner Offline
trapper
ILcooner  Offline
trapper
I

KY

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7332479
KY
I
ILcooner Offline
trapper
ILcooner  Offline
trapper
I

KY
Foliar Spraying

Honeysuckle sprouts as a result of cutting off the shrub at the ground. A follow-up foliar herbicide application can now be applied. Photo by Kathy Smith, OSU Extension, School of Environment and Natural Resources.
Foliar spraying is a method of control in which diluted herbicide is sprayed directly on the leaves of the targeted plants. This can be a very effective method of controlling honeysuckle but should only be used when the target plants are within easy reach of the sprayer. Spraying directed at less accessible plants can damage or kill valuable non-target plants through herbicide drift or overspray. In addition, care needs to be taken to ensure that herbicides are sprayed to wet the foliage but not to the point of runoff.

Bush honeysuckle leaves remain green and active late into fall (mid to late October) when most native plant species have gone dormant. Foliar applications of some herbicides can be used at this time with little or no impact to non-target species especially after the first hard frost in the fall. Herbicides recommended for foliar spraying of bush honeysuckle are listed in Table 1.

T​able 1: Herbicides recommended for foliar treatment of bush honeysuckle.
Herbicide Example Brand Names Comments1
glyphosate Roundup, Accord, and other herbicides containing at least 41% glyphosate Apply solution of 2% herbicide in water (vol/vol) when leaves are green; add a surfactant if not in herbicide.
2,4-D + triclopyr Crossbow Wet foliage and stems with 1–1.5 gallons Crossbow in 100 gallons water; spot spray with 0.25 pt (1/2 cup) Crossbow in 3 gallons water.
triclopyr Garlon 3A, Tahoe 3A Apply solution 3–5% (vol/vol) of herbicide in water when leaves are green.*
*A surfactant at .25% vol/vol rate may be added to the various triclopyr formulations when foliar spraying.
1These comments are not intended to be a substitute for the herbicide labels. To ensure the safe and effective use of the herbicides recommended in this publication read the label and SDS (Safety Data Sheet).
Cut Stump Herbicide Treatment
Cut stump treatments are a very effective method for controlling many undesirable woody shrubs and work well on bush honeysuckle. This method involves cutting the shrub off close to the ground and applying an herbicide to the cut surfaces (and sometimes the bark) with a spray bottle, paintbrush, roller, or wicking device.

Whether to use an oil or water soluble herbicide depends on the timing of the herbicide application after the cut. Herbicides carried in water should be applied to the outer 1/3 of the top of the stump within minutes of making the cut.

Utilize an oil soluble herbicide when planning to cut and later return to treat the stumps. Apply the oil soluble herbicide to the entire top and sides of the cut stump but not to the point of excessive runoff. Apply anytime as long as the stumps are dry and not frozen.

Herbicides (both water- and oil-soluble) recommended for cut stump treatments of bush honeysuckle are listed in Table 2. Late summer, early fall, or dormant season applications have all proven to be effective. Avoid applications during sap-flow (spring) as this lessens the effectiveness of the herbicide application.

T​able 2: Herbicides recommended for cut stump treatment of bush honeysuckle.
glyphosate Roundup, Accord, and others Apply 20% active ingredient to outer third of cut stem/stump surface immediately after cutting.
2,4-D + picloram Pathway, Tordon RTU Apply undiluted to surface of cut stem immediately after cutting.
Tordon 101 Apply undiluted or diluted 1:1 with water.
2,4-D + triclopyr Crossbow Apply solution of 4% Crossbow in diesel fuel, fuel oil, or kerosene.
triclopyr Garlon 4, Garlon 4 Ultra, Tahoe 4E, Remedy, and others Apply 20% Garlon 4 + 10% penetrate (e.g. Cide-Kick II) in diesel, fuel oil, kerosene, or basal oil (penetrate not needed with basal oil).
1These comments are not intended to be a substitute for the herbicide labels. To ensure the safe and effective use of the herbicides recommended in this publication read the label and SDS (Safety Data Sheet).
Basal Spraying

A basal application of herbicide needs to be made to the lower 12–18 inches of the honeysuckles' stems. Photo by Kathy Smith, OSU Extension, School of Environment and Natural Resources.
A basal application for bush honeysuckle refers to the spraying of a labeled herbicide mixed with an oil-based carrier on the lower 12–18 inches of the stem. The herbicide is sprayed, ensuring that the stems are wet but not to the point of runoff. Basal treatments should only be applied when the areas to be treated are dry and not frozen. The basal treatments recommended in Table 3 should be applied during the dormant season (winter or spring). Due to the arching nature of bush honeysuckle shrubs, access to the lower portion of the shrubs trunk is not always easy to achieve. Care should be taken to ensure that the chemical being applied is reaching the lower portion of the shrub's trunk and not merely being applied in its general vicinity.

Table 3: Herbicides recommended for basal spraying of bush honeysuckle.
triclopyr + imazapyr Garlon 4 and Stalker Apply a solution of 15% Garlon 4 + 3% Stalker + 82% Ax-It basal oil mixed by volume.
triclopyr Garlon 4, Garlon 4 Ultra Apply a solution of 20% Garlon 4 in basal oil (Ax-It or Arborchem). Diesel fuel may also be used as a carrier but this requires that a 10% penetrant (such as Cide-Kick II) must also be added.
2,4-D + triclopyr Crossbow Apply a 4% solution of Crossbow in diesel oil, fuel oil, or kerosene.

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7332495
08/17/21 04:15 PM
08/17/21 04:15 PM
Belair MD
V
VictorD Offline
trapper
VictorD  Offline
trapper
V

Belair MD
Round Up (or any killer) and Dawn dish washing detergent. The Dawn breaks down the protective coating on the leaves and allows the round up to do its job. Works great on poison ivy and lily pads in ponds as well.

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7332644
08/17/21 07:33 PM
08/17/21 07:33 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
ALSO: According to the USFS, the seeds will remain viable for up to 10 years on the ground, so your gonna get new sprouts, but, in the spring, when the soil is wet and loose, you can just pull up small plants by hand and just throw them down, when the roots dry they're dead.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7332769
08/17/21 10:04 PM
08/17/21 10:04 PM
NE Mississippi
G
GRP Offline
trapper
GRP  Offline
trapper
G

NE Mississippi
Glyphosate falters once brush gets woody. I've been fighting trifoliate orange (mock orange, flying dragon) on our farms for years. It is very thorny, with waxy leaves. Glyphosate kills about 25% of the time, but usually just stunts it and it comes back resistant. The triclopyr herbicides, I like Remedy Ultra work great. It works good on most any tree you can get the leaves covered. I have even had success spraying eastern cedar foliar. I use a hot mix, 6 oz Remedy, 2 oz nonionic surfactant per gallon. Here you need a license for it.

For by grace are you saved by faith, and not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7333485
08/18/21 07:08 PM
08/18/21 07:08 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
When you mix Roundup (glyphosate) with anything better take note that you could be lessoning its potential control for plants. Non-ionic surfactants and/or sprayer grade AMS are the only additives recommended by the the manufacturer. So anything that has some free ions like soap or oil, diesel, kerosene etc., has an antagonistic reaction with the glyphosate and you are only getting a part of its killing power. Use distilled water if mixing a small batch or some AMS with your tap water when mixing Roundup (softened water with salt is also a no-no.).......... Manufacture's recommendations are always a good way to go.............. the mike

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7579565
05/07/22 11:25 PM
05/07/22 11:25 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I made good progress on the invasive honeysuckle today. This is the best time of year to attack it. That is some dastardly stuff.

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: Killbuck] #7579579
05/08/22 12:11 AM
05/08/22 12:11 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Killbuck
For vines that big I'd hack with an ax and spray with Tordon. @ tractor supply, among others.

This

Drill some holes in the trunk and use a syringe to fill the holes. Or just cut off some of the limbs and apply.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7587137
05/19/22 08:48 PM
05/19/22 08:48 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
In about a month I will start hitting the wild parsnip with Roundup. Then in July I will switch to Buckthorn.

Last edited by AJE; 05/19/22 08:48 PM.
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: Leftlane] #7587188
05/19/22 10:07 PM
05/19/22 10:07 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Round up + 1/10 diesel fuel takes out all the crap

Diesel fuel ?? ..... Can i use 12 year old single malt scotch ?? ... Its cheaper

Last edited by Scuba1; 05/19/22 10:08 PM.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7587214
05/19/22 10:38 PM
05/19/22 10:38 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
You make a good point, fuel is crazy high

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7587323
05/20/22 06:37 AM
05/20/22 06:37 AM
eastern WV
R
Ridge Runner1960 Offline
trapper
Ridge Runner1960  Offline
trapper
R

eastern WV
Originally Posted by vermontster
I have cut some of them because they where in the way of cutting down some pine trees and I burnt them. There's a ton of the honeysuckle, so the thorn bush is called buckthorn? It's yellow inside when I cut it and burnt it. Thanks for all the information guys .

oriental barberry

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7587324
05/20/22 06:41 AM
05/20/22 06:41 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Goats and sheep work great for controlling honeysuckle.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7587351
05/20/22 07:26 AM
05/20/22 07:26 AM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
41% Gly mixed at 2oz per gallon of water will kill EVERYTHING.

I just sprayed a bunch of fence line earlier in the week.

Hit the bigger bushes last Saturday with a mix of Remedy and diesel using basal spray method and already seeing results. Anything bigger than 2-3" diameter gets the "hack and squirt" treatment.

Tordon is good for small jobs (premixed quart) of saplings. I killed some 6" diameter honey locusts and sweet gums with it. Drilled a 1/2" hole at a downward angle and filled it with Tordon. Smaller stuff I used hack and squirt method

WHATEVER you do, read the label and/or get professional advice.
If you have an ag chemical sales place they can advise you on what to use and rates to apply

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: AJE] #7587404
05/20/22 08:53 AM
05/20/22 08:53 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by AJE
In about a month I will start hitting the wild parsnip with Roundup. Then in July I will switch to Buckthorn.

I hit the Honeysuckle and Buckthorn starting in july. I'll hit any other woody plant then too that I find. I find they are easier to kill later in the summer when they are putting energy into the roots rather than pulling energy out as they are in early spring.

Cut stump treatment is the best for several reasons.
1) it targets the specific plant only, foliar spray will kill anything and everything else that gets hit with the spray. You don't want to kill those trilliums growing under the honeysuckle bush your targeting for example. You don't want to create dead zones that foliar spraying gives you. Those dead zones are openings for other invasive stuff.
2) you use less herbicide, just a small dab on the stump kills it. Use herbicide with a dye and foaming agent in it and you can see which ones have been treated and the herbicide stays where you put it.

I go after garlic mustard first in the spring as soon as the ground is soft enough to pull plants. I pull it, it seems to work best.
Right now I'm going after Reed canary Grass, I use a grass specific herbicide spot treating plants.
Next I go after Dame's rocket, again pulling it.
Then I'll go after sweet clovers, again pulling it.
Then Honeysuckle and buckthorn, cut stump and treat.

I don't have any wild parsnip so I'm glad for that.

There other invasives that I'll hit when I run across them, birds foot trefoil, barberry, autumn olive, musk thistle and multi flora rose. those are far and few between tho.

Also burning is a good thing, smaller hineysuckle, garlic mustard and smaller buckthorn are killed by fire. Fire helps to tamp down further invasions. Most natives are immune to fire when timed properly.

Last edited by Dirty D; 05/20/22 08:57 AM.
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7587456
05/20/22 10:48 AM
05/20/22 10:48 AM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Tordon!!

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7587549
05/20/22 01:06 PM
05/20/22 01:06 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
2 ways to kill Honeysuckle Bush:

Chainsaw it off as short as you can, treat stump with Roundup mixed 50/50 with Diesel fuel or water with a bottle of cheap food color added so you can see where you've been, quickest but expensive.

Cut off 3-4 feet from the ground, and using a mattock, chop 360 deg around the base to cut the roots, and use what's left of the trunk as a handle to pull it up. They rarely have a tap root, that's why they do so well in thin soil and glades. Once the root is dry the plant is dead.

The seeds are fecond for up to 10 years, and you will have to follow up annually.

The tops can be piled up for Rabbitat. (habitat for Rabbits)

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: danvee] #7593678
05/29/22 01:30 AM
05/29/22 01:30 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by danvee
Tordon!!

I rarely use Tordon anymore. It presents too much of a risk of killing nearby desirable trees.

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: Dirty D] #7608132
06/19/22 12:51 AM
06/19/22 12:51 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Dirty D

I go after garlic mustard first in the spring as soon as the ground is soft enough to pull plants. I pull it, it seems to work best..

I attended a fantastic invasive workshop Thur @ Ft McCoy. They talked a lot about garlic mustard. They said a bio control is in the works to potentially be able to naturally fight garlic mustard. That would be a game changer.
Maybe bio controls will be available for other invasives in the future. Of course there is always the concern that a well intended insect release could unintentionally cause another problem if the insect itself turns out to be a pest.
They handed out free boot cleaners at the seminar...a device to pick & brush seeds out of boots.

Last edited by AJE; 06/19/22 12:53 AM.
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7608148
06/19/22 01:49 AM
06/19/22 01:49 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I typically just put my goats in an area I want cleared out.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread