ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Wana get into ADC #7581311
05/10/22 01:01 PM
05/10/22 01:01 PM
Ky
K
Kytrapper2012 Offline OP
trapper
Kytrapper2012  Offline OP
trapper
K

Ky
Im thinking about trying to start some kind of trapping business. Ive been trapping coon,possum and groundhogs since I was 10, im 28 now. And I've consistently set out 40-50 DP, and foot traps every year during the regular trapping season here in ky. However, I have no clue how to even get started doing it for profit. Does anybody advice on how a young guy would start a ADC business from scratch? How much would you charge starting out. And how would you even charge? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Wana get into ADC [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7581705
05/10/22 10:54 PM
05/10/22 10:54 PM
Henderson, KY
jzahntrapper Offline
trapper
jzahntrapper  Offline
trapper

Henderson, KY
first you need to pass the test through kDFWR then your permit is a hundred dollars each year

Trap or Die!
Re: Wana get into ADC [Re: jzahntrapper] #7581709
05/10/22 11:06 PM
05/10/22 11:06 PM
Henderson, KY
jzahntrapper Offline
trapper
jzahntrapper  Offline
trapper

Henderson, KY
and make sure you know that ADC work is a whole different critter than fur trapping

Trap or Die!
Re: Wana get into ADC [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7582199
05/11/22 07:37 PM
05/11/22 07:37 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia

[Linked Image]
Re: Wana get into ADC [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7600517
06/08/22 06:44 AM
06/08/22 06:44 AM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline
trapper
T

Mass.
First thing to know is: Its a business not a hobby. This has been covered a hundred times. Check arcives.
Trapping is just one of our tools. Dont try it with out some business back ground. 4 out of 5 startups fail.
Don LaFountain
30 years in business this year.

Re: Wana get into ADC [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7600569
06/08/22 07:47 AM
06/08/22 07:47 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
For anyone starting out, of course we can help with explaining what equipment to use, but more than that we are always available to share the methods we use in a system that makes ADC work very profitable.

Re: Wana get into ADC [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7600687
06/08/22 12:16 PM
06/08/22 12:16 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
There can be considerable overhead costs starting an ADC business or any business for that matter. Look into the equipment you will need for the services you will be offering, liability insurance to cover you and any problems that can arise while you are working.

Commercial insurance for your vehicle especially if you start to logo your vehicle in some manner, some kind of invoicing pad or pre-printed invoices 2-3 copies and some logo shirts to wear etc.

Get a local tax accountant to advise you on how to operate your business side of the business, collect / record your sales tax and to file your income taxes.. Get a tax ID. # or EIN or some use their S.S. # if you are truly going to operate a business and claim it as such..

Starting any business requires some thought, some real time education as to how to operate a business and how to deal with the public.Equipment purchases, fuel and supplies can run up the expenses along the way as you grow.

Your first few years much of your profits will most likely be reinvested into your business needs. You most likely won't be very profitable for a while until you learn to iron some things out and price your work to reflect a good profit. Once you see what is involved like many others, they find there is much more to this then they anticipated.

Re: Wana get into ADC [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7601254
06/09/22 07:27 AM
06/09/22 07:27 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
And hire a lawyer to set up a limited liability company. As said by many experts above, if you really do it, you really run it as a business.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Wana get into ADC [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7601416
06/09/22 12:39 PM
06/09/22 12:39 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
You don't have to start out big. I've never done much that might be considered the norm in anything I've ever done, including ADC. I'm not a gambler. Don't like to extend myself into the unknown without having more knowledge of what I'm getting into. If a guy invests a bunch and does not get the return he needs, he runs the rick of losing it all. If you do a little at a time, pay as you go, there is nothing to lose. A guy can start out part time as I did picking up skunk, chuck and beaver jobs here and there on the side while working a regular job without mega expenditures or big risk. If the ADC work becomes too much then it might be time to consider making the jump from a regular job to ADC. It all depends on the type of ADC work you do and where you are doing the working. I didn't have insurance for many years and didn't have commercial on my vehicle either. I moved from fur trapping gradually into ADC. Even with the cage business I didn't buy equipment unless I could afford it, meaning there were no creditors hanging over my head to reposes anything. We did a little at a time and expanded slowly, while learning what we were dealing with, learning the businesses. It was only a few years ago that we formed the LLC. Never had a sleepless night and never had any worries. Others may think outside of the box to which my response is, "what box." Think for yourself and don't be intimidated. I'm the only person I know of who put his home mortgage on credit cards at zero percent and made $200 a month interest on money that wasn't mine.

Re: Wana get into ADC [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7605115
06/14/22 04:11 PM
06/14/22 04:11 PM
Nashville, TN 27 y/o
J
JoeyHalk Offline
trapper
JoeyHalk  Offline
trapper
J

Nashville, TN 27 y/o
All good answers.

I’d recommend part time at first. You don’t have to do all the big jobs like your competitors might be doing. Make enough money to buy more and better tools, personally I avoid debt like the plague. Been in debt before with school loans and I don’t care for it anymore.

Do what you tell your customers you’re going to do, major key.

Do enough and learn to price it. In almost all instances you will think your price is good until you find out what others are charging.

Do good inspections. I don’t think any of the large companies would publicize it, but if you catch the right animals and close the right holes you will solve the problem just as good, if not better, than the companies sealing up everything who don’t care about catching the correct animals (not including bats, or mice and rats, full seal ups are certainly required in some instances unless you want to trap or bait them forever like a pest control company). For instance, multiple times I have seen a company go and catch 40 gray squirrels at a house and then leave. Customer had problems the next day. Both times I went in caught, 4-5 squirrels and closed the hole. Problem solved.

In some instances I run into things that are out of my league or just require more man power and I refer them to someone else who has the manpower. In return, they send me a lot of work that might just be trapping. They don’t have time for it because they are working on large seal ups.

I worked two jobs for three years before I quit the job I got a civil engineering degree for. I could’ve quit sooner, but I think I was addicted to working 14 hours a day by that time lol. I also didn’t want to have a big pay gap by quitting. As soon the income from ADC exceeded my other job I got out.

Once I left that job, I got more time and sealing up extra areas is more feasible now because I have 10 hours extra time in my days. My average job cost has greatly increased due to this.

Work hard, treat people right, be careful, and learn every day.

once you go trap, you never come back

www.halkerswildlifecontrol.com
Re: Wana get into ADC [Re: Kytrapper2012] #7612765
06/25/22 09:56 PM
06/25/22 09:56 PM
E Central MO
A
Art Lee Offline
trapper
Art Lee  Offline
trapper
A

E Central MO
There's some good advice about start up already posted.
Find an established ADC pro that's willing to offer guidance and don't waste your time with NWCOA

When it comes to what to charge, clients hire you for your skill set and expertise. Don't fall in to the dumbed down per animal cliche. Remember you have significant overhead if you're running an above board business, so don't be that guy who undercuts the completion by 50% when 5% will get you in.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's easier to pick on rich women than bikers.

http://wildlifecontrolsolutions.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread