ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Skunk- Trying to save a little $$$ #759194
06/18/08 08:33 PM
06/18/08 08:33 PM
Nevada
A
Andrew N. Offline OP
trapper
Andrew N.  Offline OP
trapper
A

Nevada
During this skunk job I have now I had the chance to look over the small collection of mismatched cage traps varying in quality and manufacturer. I decided to make it all a little more uniform and go with one or two brands and sizes. I do two different types of trapping, ADC and fur trapping. Keeping this in mind I had to taylor my selection of traps to fit those needs as well as working on a limited budget. Here is what I have so far.

My main trap will be a Safegaurd 30x11x12" single door. I'll have maybe 10 by the time trapping season gets here. This will be my trap of choice for coon. ADC and during fur season. These will get a camo paint job (brown and green).

For coon, especially any potential family groups I have 2 decent quality 36x10x12" single door traps. These are a bit bulkier and take up a bit of room in my little Toyota.

For ADC skunk jobs I'm still a bit undecided. IU am think of going the inexpensive route with some Tractor Supply Co. 32x10x12" traps. I'll feel less depressed when I cut holes for my skunk pole. These WILL not see any time on my fur line. STRICTLY a skunk trap. I am considering this larger trap for skunks for fear of refusals in the 24x7x7" traps.

Another option for just skunks is a PVC trap. I have some questions on this trap. How do you inject the skunk? Do these traps really work?

Finally, for skunks I was thinking of going with the 7" cage trap and use all Safegaurds in there 24x7x8" cage trap.

Re: Trying to save a little $$$ [Re: Andrew N.] #759332
06/18/08 09:54 PM
06/18/08 09:54 PM
Syracuse,Utica-Rome,Madison,On...
B
Bob Evans,-CWCP Offline
trapper
Bob Evans,-CWCP  Offline
trapper
B

Syracuse,Utica-Rome,Madison,On...
7x8 safeguard,tube trap.
good choice.
bob evans

Bird,live honey Bee,Unique wildlife problems SOLVED.
Serving the great state of New York

livetrappingbymatt.net
Re: Trying to save a little $$$ [Re: Bob Evans,-CWCP] #759890
06/19/08 09:26 AM
06/19/08 09:26 AM
Cincinnati Ohio
C
Charles Holt Offline
trapper
Charles Holt  Offline
trapper
C

Cincinnati Ohio
Bought some of the tractor supply traps and put some effort into making them stronger and spring easier. They will hold a big coon now at least once. But I only use them on feral cat jobs at apartment complex jobs knowing that some will be stolen or destroyed. The replacement cost covers a Safeguard Pro 30 inch trap. The traps we now buy are the Safeguard Pro model traps, WCS simple squirrel and WCS special squirrel. Trying to save money would be best on your fur line not on ADC business. Image and results are everything in business and traps failing to spring, animals escaping from cheap traps costs money - Repeat trips = time and gas - plus it can take up to 12 good customer experiences to make up for 1 bad. And a big coon peeling up the door of a cheap trap while your customer watches or going in and stealing bait is a bad experience.

Charles Holt,CWCP
Owner
Advantage Wildlife Removal
www.cincinnatianimalcontrol.com
www.advantage-wr.com

Re: Trying to save a little $$$ [Re: Charles Holt] #760053
06/19/08 11:54 AM
06/19/08 11:54 AM
Carver County, Minnesota
S
Scott Conley Offline
trapper
Scott Conley  Offline
trapper
S

Carver County, Minnesota
Williams Cage traps are as good as they get. They come in four or five different sizes and stack perfectly in a garage (and vehicle.)

For double door traps Tomahawk rules. Remember to ask for your 10% discount for being a NWCOA member.

Conley's Wildlife Control, LLC

http://www.conleyswildlifecontrol.com/
Re: Trying to save a little $$$ [Re: Scott Conley] #761800
06/20/08 08:44 PM
06/20/08 08:44 PM
Nevada
A
Andrew N. Offline OP
trapper
Andrew N.  Offline OP
trapper
A

Nevada
Am I a NWCOA member?

I was curious about the Safegaurds. Are the Pro Models worth the extra cost?

Also, I plan on buying GOOD traps for fur. I'll also use these on ADC coon jobs. The Tractor Supply idea would only be on skunk jobs.

I guess it all boils down to me wanting separate skunk cage traps because these will all have holes cut into them. I found when a coon gets in a cage trap with those holes cut, the animal tends to enlarge them a bit.

Re: Trying to save a little $$$ [Re: Andrew N.] #762129
06/21/08 08:36 AM
06/21/08 08:36 AM
New Hampshire
D
dktfireman Offline
trapper
dktfireman  Offline
trapper
D

New Hampshire
I drilled two 1 1/2" holes (with a hole saw) in the back plate of my PVC trap. It is still a pain to stick a skunk in there and they sometimes die all wrapped around trigger/ bait holder. I now use it for coon only. The 8X8 Williams trap is much easier to work with. I zip tie 1/4" plywood to the top and sides so they feel secure and protected. the side pieces only get zip tied at the top so I can lift the cover easily to access the skunk for the shot if necessary and it doesn't interfere with the trigger. I just got a safeguard the other day, it isn't a rugged as the Williams trap. I do wrap the bottom and sides my Williams traps with 1/2" hardware cloth to prevent digging.

Support our troops and their sacrifices.
WIN THE WAR!
Re: Trying to save a little $$$ [Re: dktfireman] #762309
06/21/08 01:40 PM
06/21/08 01:40 PM
Nevada
A
Andrew N. Offline OP
trapper
Andrew N.  Offline OP
trapper
A

Nevada
 Originally Posted By: dktfireman
I drilled two 1 1/2" holes (with a hole saw) in the back plate of my PVC trap. It is still a pain to stick a skunk in there and they sometimes die all wrapped around trigger/ bait holder. I now use it for coon only. The 8X8 Williams trap is much easier to work with. I zip tie 1/4" plywood to the top and sides so they feel secure and protected. the side pieces only get zip tied at the top so I can lift the cover easily to access the skunk for the shot if necessary and it doesn't interfere with the trigger. I just got a safeguard the other day, it isn't a rugged as the Williams trap. I do wrap the bottom and sides my Williams traps with 1/2" hardware cloth to prevent digging.

You just about answered all my questions. Thanks everyone for the help.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper