Young Trappers Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support Lenon's Lures, our sponsor for the Kids Forum Page)
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: When you graduate [Re: cowboy2005] #7462930
01/16/22 08:22 PM
01/16/22 08:22 PM
Danville, PA
SquirrelSlayer11 Offline
trapper
SquirrelSlayer11  Offline
trapper

Danville, PA
Umm?

A Country Boy Can Survive!
Re: When you graduate [Re: cowboy2005] #7463732
01/17/22 04:27 PM
01/17/22 04:27 PM
Kentucky
KYtrapper2005 Offline
trapper
KYtrapper2005  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
I have a second job now. im a non licensed funeral home assistant

Trapping is what built North America, why take that away?

pro second amendment-- pro God-- pro Trump-- Pro America!
Re: When you graduate [Re: cowboy2005] #7464950
01/18/22 05:37 PM
01/18/22 05:37 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
There are a lot of opportunities in college, and it’s expensive, but you can find many ways to reduce the cost. You can often go to a local college for 2 years to knock out the general education requirements for a much lower cost. You can apply for scholarships and work study programs to pay for some or all of the costs. The GI bill can help. Some folks know what they want and some don’t. Do some research and make plans and backup plans. Trade schools can be wonderful too if you are interested in the trades. Exciting times when you graduate!

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: When you graduate [Re: cowboy2005] #7483339
02/03/22 11:23 AM
02/03/22 11:23 AM
Rebersburg PA
coontraper Offline
trapper
coontraper  Offline
trapper

Rebersburg PA
i got my first job when i was 8 splitting wood for this old lady and i did it but it wasnt my favorite thing to do because the wood was 3 times my size i did that for 2 summers then she didnt call back again to ask for help so i never went back. i helped my dad do tree removals on most weekends. then when i was 14 i heard about a farmer just down the road who needed help clearing fences and other small jobs around the place. so i went and worked for him for a summer only to find that all his fences were covered in black berries adn he gave me nothing but a pair of pruners and a pair of cloth gloves. so after a summer of doing that my arms were absolutely shredded and i didnt want to go back the next summer but i knew i would have to buy a vehicle in a few years and so i was planning on going back when dad came home one night and told me there was a small diesel mechanic (mainly pickup trucks) just down the road that was looking for help and so i went and and talked to him and decided id rather work on trucks then clear fences. so i got a summer job there at 15 and have been working there every summer since and love it. im a senior in highschool and decided since i was in school i still wanted to learn more about trucks and heard about a 3 year program that our school is part of that you do your school work in the first half of the day then you go to another place and they teach you all about whatever field you want and its free so i dont have anything to loose by doing it. so now i am coming out of school with college credits in diesel and an going to work full time for the guy i have been.
i started into the diesel program a year late so i could only do 2 years worth of school but am ahead of all the other kids who have been there for 3 years. you can do whatever you want if you put your mind to it. if your not sure what you want to do go out and find some jobs and try them if you dont like it you can always quit and find something new. Finding a job with a variety of things to do and isnt doing the same thing everyday like flipping burgers for minimal wage. another thing to look for in a good job is the pay. if the pay sucks maybe thats not what you should do. you cant support a family very easily on minimal wage and you dont want to end up under the bridge stealing the bread from the ducks. another tip to finding a good job is find something you enjoy doing. if you hate what your doing then nobody is going to be happy. sure you might have bad days but if you enjoy what your doing you will give it much more effort than a job you hate.

by switching back to trump you can save 15% more on your gas station trips
Re: When you graduate [Re: coondagger2] #7519424
03/06/22 03:36 PM
03/06/22 03:36 PM
Minnesota
Northernbeaver Offline
trapper
Northernbeaver  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Boco
Get a trade and take a few buisness courses.
Then after you work in your trade for a while you can start your own buisness.

This is my exact suggestion.

Originally Posted by coondagger2
Originally Posted by rattrapper1234
I think colledge is a terrible Idea, you end up with years of student loan debt to pay off and in most cases people go to school for a job that will not have any openings when they get out so they stiil end up broke and working an entry level job at mcdonalds. I would take a break and figure out what you want to do before going back to school. I plan on learning a trade in high demand like welding or masonry when I get out of high school.

College is a great idea if you do something that will get you a job. I grew up laying brick and block and made a wad of money doing that, but it was something I decided I didn't want to do for the rest of my life.

I applied for a ton of scholarships for college before I graduated and was lucky enough to get one. Between that and and making money doing masonry on the side I graduated college with 0 debt.

I went to school for Civil Engineering, got a great job and make more money than I could have laying brick. I'll be retired on state benefits and full pension at 52 years old. I'm not saying this to sound arrogant I just want to show that if you don't waste your time and effort college can turn out to be a phenomenal investment. It's not for everyone, but at least think about it. Good luck!

All depends, the business side of masonry is quite lucrative. I know two masons that split a million in profits each year doing small to mid size commercial masonry projects.

The official Trapping Across the World Discord server.

https://discord.gg/AsdrzB5XgE
Re: When you graduate [Re: Northernbeaver] #7551253
04/07/22 01:05 PM
04/07/22 01:05 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
Originally Posted by Northernbeaver
All depends, the business side of masonry is quite lucrative. I know two masons that split a million in profits each year doing small to mid size commercial masonry projects.

I agree masonry is a great career path. My dad still does it and I help him out on the weekends. It is not an easy road for your body though. Stay smart if you take that path

I know when you're young you don't think about that, but when I was 13 we were tracking a deer. Jumped a small creek and when his feet hit the other side his 3 herniated disks in his back ruptured. I had to drag him to the truck and drive home. He was vomiting because the pain was so bad.

After that I swore I wouldn't kill my body to make a living.

All that being said it isn't like that for everybody. Me and him are super competitive and the companies we laid brick for operate on a quota system. He pushed his body much further than he should have and is now paying for it. If you choose a manual labor job there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, just don't kill yourself. I still help him on the weekends because I feel like the labor is good for you....to a certain extent

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: When you graduate [Re: cowboy2005] #7605686
06/15/22 02:17 PM
06/15/22 02:17 PM
Fontana, ks
Kylee Eastwood Offline
trapper
Kylee Eastwood  Offline
trapper

Fontana, ks
I am going to college on a wrestling scholarship, I haven't quited figured out a major or anything yet. But I think I am going to weld on the side to make a little extra money to help with the extra expenses. I help my dad pour concrete during the summer right now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bogmaster