Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Graining a deer hide #7606102
06/16/22 07:52 AM
06/16/22 07:52 AM
Wisconsin
D
DadN3Boyz Offline OP
trapper
DadN3Boyz  Offline OP
trapper
D

Wisconsin
I soaked a deer hide in a lime solution for several days. The hair comes off easily, but the grain is being rather difficult. Can the lime solution (barn lime), "set" the grain making it difficult to remove? I've fleshed my fair share of animals but have limited experience with graining a deer hide.

I have 90% of the hair removed, rinsed it good and have it soaking in fresh water. The hide was getting pretty funky after being in the lime solution. Going to work the hide more later today.

Looking for any advice/tips?

Wondering if anyone lets the hide dry, then sand off any remaining grained sections?

Re: Graining a deer hide [Re: DadN3Boyz] #7606514
06/16/22 05:16 PM
06/16/22 05:16 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Dry scraping the grain and hair is often done at the same time.Dry scraping is also used to thin down thicker parts of a hide before smoke tanning.
Hides are laced tight on a frame and allowed to dry before scraping.Uniform thickness of the hide is determined by the translucence of the skin.

Wet scraping of the grain after slipping the hair is accomplished on a beam with a sharp two handed scraper.traditionally a sharpened shinbone.It wont damage the skin like a steel scraper can.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Graining a deer hide [Re: DadN3Boyz] #7606847
06/17/22 07:23 AM
06/17/22 07:23 AM
Wisconsin
D
DadN3Boyz Offline OP
trapper
DadN3Boyz  Offline OP
trapper
D

Wisconsin
I was using my fleshing beam with the dull side of a necker. Didn't get to the hide yesterday, will work it today.

Re: Graining a deer hide [Re: DadN3Boyz] #7697720
10/22/22 03:31 AM
10/22/22 03:31 AM
Nenana, Alaska
G
GrayWolfandPack Offline
trapper
GrayWolfandPack  Offline
trapper
G

Nenana, Alaska
As someone who has tanned and grained a lot of buckskin, I’m gonna tell you right now the easiest way to grain a hide is a controlled rot

Mad Trapper of Wood River
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread