No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7608149
06/19/22 01:53 AM
06/19/22 01:53 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Goats, for that purpose, are gaining in popularity.

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: AJE] #7608202
06/19/22 07:59 AM
06/19/22 07:59 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by AJE

I attended a fantastic invasive workshop Thur @ Ft McCoy. They talked a lot about garlic mustard. They said a bio control is in the works to potentially be able to naturally fight garlic mustard. That would be a game changer.
Maybe bio controls will be available for other invasives in the future. Of course there is always the concern that a well intended insect release could unintentionally cause another problem if the insect itself turns out to be a pest.
They handed out free boot cleaners at the seminar...a device to pick & brush seeds out of boots.

I have heard of garlic mustard being hit by a virus or disease.

here is an article about it.
another good thing is its in the Chicago area, hope it makes it way north fast.

https://my.chicagobotanic.org/tag/garlic-mustard-disease/

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: Providence Farm] #7608203
06/19/22 08:03 AM
06/19/22 08:03 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I typically just put my goats in an area I want cleared out.

No thanks. It might be OK in an area that is nothing but invasives but at that point you could just as well nuke the place with glyphosate.

Most of my place is mostly native plants with invasives here and there.
Another downside of goats is they don't eliminate alot of the stuff, they just knock it back. Most stuff just will regenerate from the roots.

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: Dirty D] #7608208
06/19/22 08:18 AM
06/19/22 08:18 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Dirty D
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I typically just put my goats in an area I want cleared out.

No thanks. It might be OK in an area that is nothing but invasives but at that point you could just as well nuke the place with glyphosate.

Another downside of goats is they don't eliminate alot of the stuff, they just knock it back. Most stuff just will regenerate from the roots.

True to a point. The seeds they eat will not grow when they pass them unlike cows and horses due the the way their stomach works. If you only put them on it tell it is cleared out once often it can grow back thicker ( good for me so I have forage for my goats and cover for my deer and small game like rabbits and quail) . Because The thick stuff is now gone that allowing light to get to the ground. Add in the goat fertilizer and chicken as well since I run my chickens inside my portable goat fence to help with predators in a few months it starts growing back and in a year is very thick. But if you put the goats back on it every time it starts to grow back it zaps the plants resources eventually killing them. I have areas I have done that and you can still see the difference where the fence was obviously 4 years later.

Yes it's faster and easier just to spray if you don't mind chemicals. I did chemicals on an over grocery fence line and it came back just as thick the next year. I don't like chemicals and have dairy goats due to my daughter's milk sensitivity so goats were the obvious solution for me. Chemicals kill the plants but the seeds allready in the soil will grow right back so will take several year to get rid of the invasive plants since seeds can stay viable in soil for years and grow even conditions become right for them. ,

Last edited by Providence Farm; 06/19/22 12:15 PM.
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7608263
06/19/22 10:42 AM
06/19/22 10:42 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Good info on goats and also on garlic mustard, guys. Thanks

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7608347
06/19/22 01:20 PM
06/19/22 01:20 PM
eastern WV
R
Ridge Runner1960 Offline
trapper
Ridge Runner1960  Offline
trapper
R

eastern WV
Originally Posted by vermontster
I have cut some of them because they where in the way of cutting down some pine trees and I burnt them. There's a ton of the honeysuckle, so the thorn bush is called buckthorn? It's yellow inside when I cut it and burnt it. Thanks for all the information guys .

japanese barberry is what it sounds like, bright yellow inside when you cut it?

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7608988
06/20/22 01:27 PM
06/20/22 01:27 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Some might like trying this. It was displayed at the invasive workshop I attended Thursday

https://www.nachusagrasslands.org/u...r_application_of_basal_bark_oil_2016.pdf

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7608990
06/20/22 01:28 PM
06/20/22 01:28 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Others might like this tool that was demonstrated at a recent workshop I attended:

https://prairienebraska.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/making-a-killstick.pdf

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7609005
06/20/22 01:58 PM
06/20/22 01:58 PM
Montana. Lincoln county
T
Trapper1960 Offline
trapper
Trapper1960  Offline
trapper
T

Montana. Lincoln county
Rent a couple goats and put them out in the bushes chained to tires so you can move them around and they will remove all evidence of any thorn or berry bushes .When they are done return the goats !

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: AJE] #7609013
06/20/22 02:05 PM
06/20/22 02:05 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by AJE
Others might like this tool that was demonstrated at a recent workshop I attended:

https://prairienebraska.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/making-a-killstick.pdf

I have used basal bark applications and find it less than precise. My go to for killing small trees/brush is cut and treat stump.

I use the dropped tree/brush for brush piles that I later burn or use as cover for seeded areas that keep deer and turkeys away from seed/seedlings.
If I burn the piles they make for excellent patches for seeding. All the competition in the seed bank is killed.

this is my weapon of choice for stumps and foliage treatments

Green Shoots

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7609372
06/21/22 06:47 AM
06/21/22 06:47 AM
New Jersey
CJonesFTA Offline
trapper
CJonesFTA  Offline
trapper

New Jersey
Definitely sounds like Japanese Barberry. It is incredibly invasive and non-native, but almost impossible to eradicate. We do some removal of it up on federal land, and we have to bring in brush hogs, and a licensed sprayer. Truthfully, that just controls it's spread.

I have dug the roots up, burned the spot, doused with roundup and prayed and it did the trick for a few years.

Cristina Jones
Fur Takers of America
www.furtakersofamerica.com
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7609411
06/21/22 08:22 AM
06/21/22 08:22 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Tordon pellets

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7610651
06/23/22 12:58 AM
06/23/22 12:58 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Cut stump is my preferred method too, Dirty D.

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: CJonesFTA] #7610765
06/23/22 08:27 AM
06/23/22 08:27 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by CJonesFTA
Definitely sounds like Japanese Barberry. It is incredibly invasive and non-native, but almost impossible to eradicate. We do some removal of it up on federal land, and we have to bring in brush hogs, and a licensed sprayer. Truthfully, that just controls it's spread.

I have dug the roots up, burned the spot, doused with roundup and prayed and it did the trick for a few years.

Prayer must be the one thing that works. I'm serious.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7610766
06/23/22 08:28 AM
06/23/22 08:28 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia

[/quote]

True to a point. The seeds they eat will not grow when they pass them unlike cows and horses due the the way their stomach works. If you only put them on it tell it is cleared out once often it can grow back thicker ( good for me so I have forage for my goats and cover for my deer and small game like rabbits and quail) . Because The thick stuff is now gone that allowing light to get to the ground. Add in the goat fertilizer and chicken as well since I run my chickens inside my portable goat fence to help with predators in a few months it starts growing back and in a year is very thick. But if you put the goats back on it every time it starts to grow back it zaps the plants resources eventually killing them. I have areas I have done that and you can still see the difference where the fence was obviously 4 years later.

Yes it's faster and easier just to spray if you don't mind chemicals. I did chemicals on an over grocery fence line and it came back just as thick the next year. I don't like chemicals and have dairy goats due to my daughter's milk sensitivity so goats were the obvious solution for me. Chemicals kill the plants but the seeds allready in the soil will grow right back so will take several year to get rid of the invasive plants since seeds can stay viable in soil for years and grow even conditions become right for them. ,[/quote]
I learned something new today. Thank you.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: lee steinmeyer] #7610809
06/23/22 09:35 AM
06/23/22 09:35 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Cut them. off and apply roundup to the stumps. Only need to apply it to the outer growth area (cambian). Will take it into the roots and kill it. I had a big mat of honeysuckle and set it on fire, it never came back.Burn in the spring when it first shows sign of waking up.

Interesting

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: 330-Trapper] #7610957
06/23/22 01:23 PM
06/23/22 01:23 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Cut them. off and apply roundup to the stumps. Only need to apply it to the outer growth area (cambian). Will take it into the roots and kill it. I had a big mat of honeysuckle and set it on fire, it never came back.Burn in the spring when it first shows sign of waking up.

Interesting

Burning will kill honeysuckle. But the fire must be hot enough. If you have a clump or a couple of them get a bunch of wood and start a fire on top of them and it'll kill them. But if you have them scattered all over your property its an unpractical way to kill lots of them.
I burn my woods every year. Its a natural fire that is burning leaves, grasses and forbs that have died. Its in the woods so rarely a fire in the woods produces much heat. The fire generally creeps along slowly. These small light creeping fires will kill the tops of small-midsized honeysuckles. But they resprout. The fire will kill very small baby honeysuckles. It won't usually harm a big honeysuckle bush. Of course if conditions are right, really dry, lots of leaves and enough wind to push the fire along so it has more heat it'll kill bigger stuff too. Burning is best done in spring or fall when the woods are dry, low humidity and a decent breeze. As far as killing honeysuckle it doesn't matter.

Burning a woods is good for it. It thins out the woody undergrowth, encourages the growth of forbs and grasses. Damages tick populations and many invasive stuff is harmed by fire while most natives are helped by fire.

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7612206
06/25/22 02:39 AM
06/25/22 02:39 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Around here it seems like no one burns their woods. I've never heard of anyone doing it deliberately in the woods. I can only speak for my area, where the concern for the fire getting out of control is on people's minds.

Interesting though; I'm glad it works for you.

Last edited by AJE; 06/25/22 02:39 AM.
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7691054
10/12/22 10:10 PM
10/12/22 10:10 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Phragmites has started spreading around my county. Is that as bad as I fear?

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7691082
10/12/22 11:00 PM
10/12/22 11:00 PM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
Originally Posted by NorthenTrapper
Originally Posted by vermontster
Have honeysuckle and some kind of thorn bush with a red berry and vine killing trees. Any advise how to kill these things off? Some of the honey suckle is 4-5 inch diameter. I might be able to pull up some of the honeysuckle but worry about leaving roots to regrow. The thorn bush has a ton of shoots from a central area.

I can give you some cotton tails to solve the problem they eat trees like crazy here.

You realize that cottontails are easy to clean and really, really yummy, right?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread