Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Logging/Tracking your trapping season #7619525
07/04/22 11:19 PM
07/04/22 11:19 PM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline OP
trapper
CountryCletus  Offline OP
trapper

Warren County, PA
Just wondering how you guys log/track your season. I want to track things like locations, activity, types of sets, what brand of lure/bait/urine/etc is used at each set- and obviously catches. I have some hard cover notebooks that I think would be great for in the field, but I feel creating a word document where I can easily compile info and make it easy to read might be best. Eager to hear who logs their seasons and what method you’ve found to be easiest to reference in subsequent seasons. Thanks!

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7619529
07/04/22 11:33 PM
07/04/22 11:33 PM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Online content
trapper
the Blak Spot  Online Content
trapper
T

central arkansas
Hardcover notebook

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7619545
07/05/22 12:14 AM
07/05/22 12:14 AM
Pa
H
huntinlandscaper Offline
trapper
huntinlandscaper  Offline
trapper
H

Pa
Hardcover notebook as well here. In addition to logging set type/bait/lure/catches etc I also include sketches and/or printed aerial photos/topo maps etc with the set locations marked.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7619547
07/05/22 12:25 AM
07/05/22 12:25 AM
Texas
Sharkhunter Offline
trapper
Sharkhunter  Offline
trapper

Texas
I make a folder in onX and log everything in that way. You can even take a picture of your set and add it in notes.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: Sharkhunter] #7619559
07/05/22 12:56 AM
07/05/22 12:56 AM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Warren County, PA
Originally Posted by Sharkhunter
I make a folder in onX and log everything in that way. You can even take a picture of your set and add it in notes.

I use onX- I’ll have to investigate it further!

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7619565
07/05/22 01:07 AM
07/05/22 01:07 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I did a daily check journal on here for one entire season a few years ago.
It was helpful for my year end harvest report as each catch was documented.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7619578
07/05/22 04:44 AM
07/05/22 04:44 AM
Pennsylvania
Longbeard12 Offline
trapper
Longbeard12  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
I use onx, and all my catches get recorded in a separate notebook along with type of set lure and bait.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7619630
07/05/22 07:29 AM
07/05/22 07:29 AM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
Small pocket notebook in the field. Transfer to the hardback later.
I keep track of all the above and age, sex, animal condition, weather and which foot caught by. And anything different about the set, catch or miss.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7619645
07/05/22 07:58 AM
07/05/22 07:58 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I use my “notes” tab on my phone and include pics. I can copy and paste for each landowner when I pull. I always get a background shot of something the landowner will recognize as well in each pic.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7619646
07/05/22 08:05 AM
07/05/22 08:05 AM
Michigan
G
GWGjr Offline
trapper
GWGjr  Offline
trapper
G

Michigan
I used the iGoTrapping app this past season - worked well for once I got my trap inventory and bait/lure/urine types loaded in. Allows for notes, can take a picture of the set, logs catches, and tracks days set. The GPS feature takes me to the exact placement of the trap. Takes around 30 seconds to load in the set out in the field.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: GWGjr] #7619662
07/05/22 08:29 AM
07/05/22 08:29 AM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Warren County, PA
Originally Posted by GWGjr
I used the iGoTrapping app this past season - worked well for once I got my trap inventory and bait/lure/urine types loaded in. Allows for notes, can take a picture of the set, logs catches, and tracks days set. The GPS feature takes me to the exact placement of the trap. Takes around 30 seconds to load in the set out in the field.

My first reaction to this was “how much is it?”- but I can look that up… more importantly, does this app work in locations where there is no cell service? I know I’m able to somewhat use OnX if I have it pulled up before I enter a “no service” area- and they also have offline maps I can load.

Question about using notebooks… my struggle with maintaining a notebook as my “final draft” is that I’d like to have something that easy to reference. If I started at the front of the notebook and just logged that days info, then picked up where I left off the following day- referencing specific material may be difficult…. So I was wondering if you notebook fellas have a portion for each property, or each species you’re targeting, or if you just start at the front and work toward the back- then if you need to reference something you just flip through until you find what you’re after.

huntinlandscaper- On the properties that I will trap annually, I am absolutely going to have larger aerial photos printed so I can pin set locations and have a visual of “action”, I’m excited to find if one area is a better than another on a given property and help guide me to more productive travel ways.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7619675
07/05/22 08:52 AM
07/05/22 08:52 AM
Pennsylvania
The hammer Offline
trapper
The hammer  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
Note book. I note down location, set, lure, bait, urine, trap, and catches made throughout the season. After first catch I start new recording under original as remake.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7619784
07/05/22 11:32 AM
07/05/22 11:32 AM
Michigan
G
GWGjr Offline
trapper
GWGjr  Offline
trapper
G

Michigan
Originally Posted by CountryCletus
Originally Posted by GWGjr

My first reaction to this was “how much is it?”- but I can look that up… more importantly, does this app work in locations where there is no cell service? I know I’m able to somewhat use OnX if I have it pulled up before I enter a “no service” area- and they also have offline maps I can load.

CC - Price is $3.99 for the app.

I can't say for certain whether or not that the app works in areas with no cell service. I can say that it has worked for me at every set I've used it, including areas that have poor/spotty/weak cell service - and that's most of the time. I'm of the suspicion it functions more on the GPS capabilities of the phone, to which I will say has impressed me in terms of trap set accuracy - always within a foot. I previously used OnX but was quite disappointed in the spot placement accuracy it provided. I still use OnX to help with mapping, but I more often than not manually enter the trap location coordinates into OnX that the iGoTrapping app logs at the set.

It took me a while to get the hang of using the iGoTrapping app, but it's turned out to be quite handy. It took some thought and time to get my trap inventory and bait/lure inventory entered into the app, but I think I have it the way I want it now. An example of the "Make Set" screen that is entered when in the field with my inventories looks like this:

Set Name: 01
Trapline: Ponderosa
Set Type: Double Dirt Hole
Trap: CS/2C/OJ MB-550
Size: #2.0
Lure: June's Fox Frenzy 003
Bait: Dobbins' Bait Solution Beaver 005 / June's Widowmaker 002
Notes: Field edge on trail leading to beaver dam, coyote scat location
Photo of the set is taken by tapping the camera icon
Tap the "Save" spot while holding the phone directly over top of the set and it will log the GPS coordinates and save your information.

I found that numbering the sets in the Set Name comes in very handy. I keep the same Set Name number on remakes that are true resets with no changes. If the remake calls for a modification to the set I "pull" the original set in the app and add it back using a new number.

Here are a couple screenshots from the App Store to help give an idea of the screens and usage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[font:Book Antiqua][/font]

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: The hammer] #7620383
07/06/22 01:22 AM
07/06/22 01:22 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Online content
trapper
bearcat2  Online Content
trapper
B

Idaho
Originally Posted by The hammer
Note book. I note down location, set, lure, bait, urine, trap, and catches made throughout the season. After first catch I start new recording under original as remake.

Yup, I just leave a few lines to fill in with any info like catches, remakes, any lure added, or anything like a miss or tracks that went by without investigating, popped by deer, etc.

I use a rite-in-the-rain notebook so it is waterproof paper.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7620883
07/06/22 07:27 PM
07/06/22 07:27 PM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Online content
trapper
the Blak Spot  Online Content
trapper
T

central arkansas
You can’t read it, it what I do. Catch goes on left and what I remade set with
Set 98) hole w/ bait set - beaver liver/mast #2 lure/ bobcat urine

4F7045BC-AEF2-4CD0-9324-E4C54F9E59FC.jpeg

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7621800
07/08/22 06:46 AM
07/08/22 06:46 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Just wondering at what point does record keeping become a time waster? It seems like it would be easy to get bogged down with too much useless detail with those apps.
As for me, I make the same set over and over again, so I just jot down locations in my note book, and then record the numbers of animals caught at the end of the day. I'm mainly concerned with keeping track of how many sets I have out and where they're at.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: trapdog1] #7621878
07/08/22 09:15 AM
07/08/22 09:15 AM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline OP
trapper
trapper

Warren County, PA
Originally Posted by trapdog1
Just wondering at what point does record keeping become a time waster? It seems like it would be easy to get bogged down with too much useless detail with those apps.
As for me, I make the same set over and over again, so I just jot down locations in my note book, and then record the numbers of animals caught at the end of the day. I'm mainly concerned with keeping track of how many sets I have out and where they're at.

That’s what I recorded last year, I also recorded what days I caught critters and what property. I’m trying to track stuff this year to find what is more productive. While I’m sure every animal is different and things vary year to year, I’m just curious to find the result. Thank being said, I predominantly run baited flat sets and step downs, this year I’ll
Have to incorporate pee posts.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7621958
07/08/22 11:53 AM
07/08/22 11:53 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
That's too much to think about for me Cletus! That level of detail is uncecessary for the way I operate, but that's just me. Your system will without a doubt give you some great information. Good luck with whatever you decide to use!

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7622030
07/08/22 01:12 PM
07/08/22 01:12 PM
South Texas Brush Country
TEJAS Offline
trapper
TEJAS  Offline
trapper

South Texas Brush Country

Just wondering how you guys log/track your season.

I feel creating a word document where I can easily compile info and make it easy to read might be best.

You Betcha!

You are definitely on the right track Cletus.

I’ve found this method to be the most efficient way to log and review trapping info. I used Excel to draw up my template.

Keeping records directly related to increasing overall coyote catch is never a waste of time for those that are always trying to stay one step ahead of Wile E.

When you trap educated coyotes you are always looking for an edge. Keeping a log is an excellent way of doing just that.

Collecting certain data will allow you to pick up on trends you would otherwise miss. For a few, record keeping is a little more than just finding out which lure and sets work the best. I only keep track of details that can help me put more coyotes in the back of the Polaris.

Having the ability to study present and past records is one of the most useful tools you can have in your bag.

Re: Logging/Tracking your trapping season [Re: CountryCletus] #7622067
07/08/22 02:10 PM
07/08/22 02:10 PM
Oklahoma
We-Sa Offline
trapper
We-Sa  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Just wondering how you guys log/track your season. I want to track things like locations, activity, types of sets, what brand of lure/bait/urine/etc is used at each set- and obviously catches. I have some hard cover notebooks that I think would be great for in the field, but I feel creating a word document where I can easily compile info and make it easy to read might be best. Eager to hear who logs their seasons and what method you’ve found to be easiest to reference in subsequent seasons. Thanks!

I currently use OnX and no more than I trap it works fine. Your comment regarding a word doc and Tejas' comment on looking for trends makes me think excel. Excel would allow you to sort and filter your data based on whatever criteria you wanted, then run any statistical analysis you wanted. If I start trapping more I may have to think about using excel.

“I don't know, Chief, if he's very smart or very dumb.”
Capt. Quint
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91