No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling ~ NO POLITICS

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Trimming pear trees? #7620247
07/05/22 09:30 PM
07/05/22 09:30 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,972
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,972
Fredonia, PA.
Planted some pear trees years back. Rarely do we get any pears, but the trees are getting big. I would say 12-15 feet tall. The wife was saying that she believes they need lopped off, so they get bushy and produce. I don't know much about fruit trees. Does this make sense to anyone?


I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7620255
07/05/22 09:33 PM
07/05/22 09:33 PM
Joined: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,056
MA
F
Flicker Shad Offline
trapper
Flicker Shad  Offline
trapper
F

Joined: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,056
MA
YouTube is your friend.

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7620271
07/05/22 09:47 PM
07/05/22 09:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,530
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,530
Georgia
Pruning starts when you plant. With pears since they have a general tendency to upright narrow crotch multiple leaders you want to get it cut back to one central leader and head that one back to force branching. Cut down to just a few scaffolds and tie them down to get wider stronger crotches. Left alone to grow as they will pears tend to shatter and break under the load of fruit.

Several years old and rarely fruits sounds like a pollination problem. Most cultivars are poorly self fertile with some, like Bartlett, self infertile. You need different cultivars that share the same overlapping bloom times. Either a second tree or graft in a branch to an existing tree.

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7620316
07/05/22 10:46 PM
07/05/22 10:46 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 446
KS
N
NEYotetrapper Offline
trapper
NEYotetrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 446
KS
You really cant prune a pear tree to create much change, in terms of overall shape. Pears grow vertical for the most part. Sure you can make a square peg go in a round hole, but its not going to accomplish anything in this case. If you have gotten some pears in the past you probably are having issues with pollination or temperatures when the trees are in bloom or shortly there after. Blossom Blast can be an issue with pears as well. Typically pears are pretty easy to grow, just often takes them longer to begin blooming depending on the root stock they are grafted to.

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7620338
07/05/22 11:36 PM
07/05/22 11:36 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 12,051
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 12,051
Champaign County, Ohio.
I've had bad luck pruning pear trees. I've tried it in different seasons and I always get a boom of small branches afterwards. Most of what I have read on pears since, says it's better not to prune them, unless it is absolutely necessary.

It looks like I'm going to have bumper crop of pears this year. I had a very good crop of pears last year.

Keith

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7620360
07/06/22 12:30 AM
07/06/22 12:30 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,131
Ohio
BuckMink Offline
trapper
BuckMink  Offline
trapper

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,131
Ohio
We got a pear tree that is producing, but the pears are hard an never seem to ripe. Growing up we had one across the road and I remember atleast if you had the ones on the ground they would be the juiciest ones because of course falling from being ripe. Not to hijack the thread, but since its pear tree related why arent the pears ripening? speaking of pruning i had to prune it this year because the branches were snapping from the weight of the pears and made mowing difficult with the tractor so I said heck with it. Still got plently of branches left for afew but as mentioned in above post, they just bend with the weight.

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7620369
07/06/22 12:41 AM
07/06/22 12:41 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,530
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,530
Georgia
Do you know the cultivar?

Generally there are three types. Dessert pears, the soft juicy eating type can be hard or soft at picking. Generally the hard ones are storage types and will soften after a period of cold storage. Hard cooking types, often crosses of european and sand pears can range from hard when ripe to soft. Perry pears, or pears bred for making perry or pear hard cider. Uncommon in the US.

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: BuckMink] #7620382
07/06/22 01:21 AM
07/06/22 01:21 AM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 12,051
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 12,051
Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by BuckMink
We got a pear tree that is producing, but the pears are hard an never seem to ripe. Growing up we had one across the road and I remember atleast if you had the ones on the ground they would be the juiciest ones because of course falling from being ripe. Not to hijack the thread, but since its pear tree related why arent the pears ripening? speaking of pruning i had to prune it this year because the branches were snapping from the weight of the pears and made mowing difficult with the tractor so I said heck with it. Still got plently of branches left for afew but as mentioned in above post, they just bend with the weight.


The hard pears are best for canning in heavy syrup. Canning softens them up. I have 5 hard pear trees, which we can the pears from.

Keith

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: KeithC] #7620386
07/06/22 01:30 AM
07/06/22 01:30 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,040
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,040
ohio
Originally Posted by KeithC
Originally Posted by BuckMink
We got a pear tree that is producing, but the pears are hard an never seem to ripe. Growing up we had one across the road and I remember atleast if you had the ones on the ground they would be the juiciest ones because of course falling from being ripe. Not to hijack the thread, but since its pear tree related why arent the pears ripening? speaking of pruning i had to prune it this year because the branches were snapping from the weight of the pears and made mowing difficult with the tractor so I said heck with it. Still got plently of branches left for afew but as mentioned in above post, they just bend with the weight.


The hard pears are best for canning in heavy syrup. Canning softens them up. I have 5 hard pear trees, which we can the pears from.

Keith



Those hard ones are what my dad called Christmas pears .
Pick them and wrap them in newspaper , store in the caller and they ripen around Christmas .
Canning them makes sense , as bartlet pears get too soft to can if not canned right away .


We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7620541
07/06/22 09:57 AM
07/06/22 09:57 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,469
Philippines,,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,469
Philippines,,ohio
I only trim bottom branches hanging over driveway. My last yrs crop and this yrs crop are the best in 30 yrs.

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7620566
07/06/22 10:47 AM
07/06/22 10:47 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,602
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,602
Oregon
The proper term is pruning. Trimming is what we do with Christmas trees. I can't do much better in advice to what is already given by Warrior. I do know that D'anjou pollinates Bartlets and vice versa.

Getting some mason bee colonies going will help with pollination. Honeybees don't particularly care for pear bloom.


"Semper la caccia dei castori"
Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7620606
07/06/22 11:32 AM
07/06/22 11:32 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,530
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,530
Georgia
Yup, on the honey bees. Pears are poor nectar producers and bloom at a time when other sources of nectar are available.

I've got hundreds of acres of the detestable callery/bradford invasive pear around me. The whole area is white with bloom. Not a bee on any of it.

Bees can be "tricked" into working pears to a degree by planting more desirable trees or cultivars, apples for instance, in a block of pears.

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: beaverpeeler] #7620607
07/06/22 11:36 AM
07/06/22 11:36 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,530
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 17,530
Georgia
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
The proper term is pruning. Trimming is what we do with Christmas trees. I can't do much better in advice to what is already given by Warrior. I do know that D'anjou pollinates Bartlets and vice versa.

Getting some mason bee colonies going will help with pollination. Honeybees don't particularly care for pear bloom.


D'anjou is my favorite dessert pear. Can't stand a Bartlett. Neither do well here. Our wet stormy springs make fireblight the limiting factor on which pears will survive here.

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7620617
07/06/22 11:48 AM
07/06/22 11:48 AM
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 15,157
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 15,157
OH
grin

[Linked Image]


I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7620998
07/06/22 10:14 PM
07/06/22 10:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 446
KS
N
NEYotetrapper Offline
trapper
NEYotetrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 446
KS
Asian Pear varieties tend to stay crisp and hard for a long time.

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: warrior] #7621137
07/07/22 07:25 AM
07/07/22 07:25 AM
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,670
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,670
new york
Originally Posted by warrior
Pruning starts when you plant. With pears since they have a general tendency to upright narrow crotch multiple leaders you want to get it cut back to one central leader and head that one back to force branching. Cut down to just a few scaffolds and tie them down to get wider stronger crotches. Left alone to grow as they will pears tend to shatter and break under the load of fruit.

Several years old and rarely fruits sounds like a pollination problem. Most cultivars are poorly self fertile with some, like Bartlett, self infertile. You need different cultivars that share the same overlapping bloom times. Either a second tree or graft in a branch to an existing tree.

Great advice. We pruned our orchards in February and left the limbs for the rabbits and deer. The suckle pears are the best for canning, never got a taste for Bartlet pears.

Re: Trimming pear trees? [Re: Finster] #7621162
07/07/22 08:17 AM
07/07/22 08:17 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 99
MONTANA
M
MTHunter Offline
trapper
MTHunter  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 99
MONTANA
Originally Posted by Finster
Planted some pear trees years back. Rarely do we get any pears, but the trees are getting big. I would say 12-15 feet tall. The wife was saying that she believes they need lopped off, so they get bushy and produce. I don't know much about fruit trees. Does this make sense to anyone?


Good question! You can prune fruit trees around the end of February to early March before they leaf out with temps under 50 degrees. Fire blight is an issue with temps over 50 degrees.

You canít fight the natural shape of the tree, but you can correct branches growing in the wrong places by removing them. Branches growing straight up, down or into the tree should be removed. Double branches or any branch rubbing another branch, should be removed. You want to let the air flow through the tree.
Google pruning trees for pictures.

Many fruit trees get fertilizer from the lawn that promotes leaf growth, not fruit. Too much nitrogen! Look for a fruit tree fertilizer to use to slow the growth and produce fruit.

Good luck!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread